Championship Table This Time Last Year

56 minutes ago, The Dukeries Owl said:

Mostly on players that they should be able to sell on at a handsome profit whereas we've given expensive long contracts to players with no resale value.

Totally this.

Be interesting to see if other clubs copy their strategy in future years.

10 minutes ago, debram said:

Do you mean the assetts that are currently/constantly injured

If you're referring to players like Hutch, Lee, Westwood then, no, we'll have to give them away due to their injury records. However,  I fear we will be selling players such as Bannan, Hooper, FF who, although currently injured, are not crocks like the others. I'd like to see what Jos can do with the latter three. They are quality and we can't just go with U23s and frees if we aim for the top 6. Over to DC I suppose. 

• Thanks 1

i dont want to go up the dirty way. as disappointing as this season is, i feel more honest of a football fan trying and failing than just being bought better and better toys for ridiculous money.

playoff final 2 years in a row is heartbreaking, but still impressive considering that we've still been stingey for top six championship spots.

get everything at the club right, academy, scouting (i hate this outsourcing boIIox), tea ladies, whatever needs improving.

make ourselves ready for the prem, for europe, then we can start putting real money in for players

7 hours ago, Whitechapel Owl said:

Bristol City also doing very well and they haven't spent loads.

They seem to pick up Strikers from France that make a difference for between £2M-£5M. We have tended to, Joao apart to buy strikers from or already based in this Country.

12 hours ago, Whitechapel Owl said:

Bristol City also doing very well and they haven't spent loads.

Villa and Cardiff also in the bottom half, while I know villa have spent big Cardiff haven't broken the bank.

13 hours ago, פɹᴉɯqɐɹᴉɐu said:

More like nonsensical money, I know it's extremely unlikely now they won't get promoted but if they don't they'd be hugely in the mire, as it is I wouldn't be surprised if they're getting a Bournemouth'esque fine next season, not that they'd care of course with £100m+ per season TV money and everything else the EPL brings.

Their net spend was lower than ours 

I'm hoping we're doing a Brighton. They had 3 years (we had 2) in the play offs then a year where they nearly went down, played horribly until Christmas and then brought in Hughton who steadied the ship in the second half of the season. The following season they brought in a few free transfers in the summer and then went up playing excellent football.

The timings of the managerial change plus the way we played this year and the way they played under Hyppia up to Christmas that season are so similar do make me think we're capable of doing something similar. I'm very happy Jos is looking at the youngsters and assessing the squad, and I suspect resting players with long term injury issues to gear up for a big push next season even without significant spending

15 hours ago, Jon From Woodseats said:

Just look where Wolves were.

Started the season as many bookie's favourites to go up, disappointed the whole season and were in real danger of slipping into the bottom 3.

Just goes to show, if we can pick up the points required and regroup before next season, there's no reason why we can't bounce back and have a real good go of it next year!

More importantly, look where Brighton finished in their third season, the year before we beat them in the playoffs...

Edited by Pieman

1 hour ago, Sultan_Pepper said:

I'm hoping we're doing a Brighton. They had 3 years (we had 2) in the play offs then a year where they nearly went down, played horribly until Christmas and then brought in Hughton who steadied the ship in the second half of the season. The following season they brought in a few free transfers in the summer and then went up playing excellent football.

The timings of the managerial change plus the way we played this year and the way they played under Hyppia up to Christmas that season are so similar do make me think we're capable of doing something similar. I'm very happy Jos is looking at the youngsters and assessing the squad, and I suspect resting players with long term injury issues to gear up for a big push next season even without significant spending

We beat them in the playoffs it was the following season they went up. 

• Like 1

Villa have also spent a lot. The most of anyone in the championship on wages.

It's very sad to see that it's getting to the point where you need to spend silly money to get promoted. Problem is, sometimes it works, others times not. Forest, QPR, Blackburn at the very least.

So we are in agreement that Wolves have spent their money wisely while we haven't. For those making the usual "because we spent x millions our fans think we should be promoted" where do you think and what our expectations should be? As you seem to be accepting failure year on year. Our Chairman was the one banging the drum saying the aim was to be in the Premier League which naturally results in supporters raising their levels of expectation. Each season it isn't achieved is another season of failure.