Championship Table This Time Last Year

5a84a425cecab_league2016-17.jpg.376bfc2fe4125b6cd3760926f3f90dc0.jpg

Just look where Wolves were.

Started the season as many bookie's favourites to go up, disappointed the whole season and were in real danger of slipping into the bottom 3.

Just goes to show, if we can pick up the points required and regroup before next season, there's no reason why we can't bounce back and have a real good go of it next year!

7 minutes ago, Jon From Woodseats said:

Started the season as many bookie's favourites to go up, disappointed the whole season and were in real danger of slipping into the bottom 3.

Just goes to show, if we can pick up the points required and regroup before next season, there's no reason why we can't bounce back and have a real good go of it next year!

They bid over £30mil for a player last month critics amonst our own fans say we should be pushing for promotion because we've spent that over 3 seasons 6 windows god knows what their spend is got to be up around 70-80mil

10 minutes ago, BRADDO said:

It depends on whether DC is still up for it or whether he sells many of our assets to replace them with free transfers and U23s. He certainly hinted at this in the survey and we are at FFP limits. 

It does depend on that. The sensible thing would be to do neither of the survey options and do a mix of both.

18 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

Difference is Wolves spent serious money in the summer. 

More like nonsensical money, I know it's extremely unlikely now they won't get promoted but if they don't they'd be hugely in the mire, as it is I wouldn't be surprised if they're getting a Bournemouth'esque fine next season, not that they'd care of course with £100m+ per season TV money and everything else the EPL brings.

Forget about Wolves, they are an anomoly due to the amount of money they have spent.  This screenshot essentially shows the bottom half of the table and 5 of this seasons current top 6 are all in it, including the top 4!  This is what we should be basing some hope on, not what Wolves are doing.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Bluesteel said:

It does depend on that. The sensible thing would be to do neither of the survey options and do a mix of both.

I totally agree and I hope DC does a mix whilst retaining FF, Hooper, Bannan, Reach, Lees. Players like Hutch, Lee, Fletcher and Rhodes may have to go as they don't contribute enough over a season. 

10 minutes ago, Bluesteel said:

Yep, those comments from JL yesterday in relation to future opportunities for U23'a and U18's certainly point to youth being used extensively next season. If we can embellish that with some astute signings then it will be interesting. As you say it's all about balance. If we have confidence in the manager and his systems I still think we'll back him in the transfer market, spending big is not necessarily a risk if you approach it as Wolves have done. Their playing assets will certainly have appreciated in value even if they fail to go up, it's about buying the right type/age of player IMO.

Edited by Morepork
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, פɹᴉɯqɐɹᴉɐu said:

More like nonsensical money, I know it's extremely unlikely now they won't get promoted but if they don't they'd be hugely in the mire, as it is I wouldn't be surprised if they're getting a Bournemouth'esque fine next season, not that they'd care of course with £100m+ per season TV money and everything else the EPL brings.

I disagree, I actually think they've spent wisely, if they fail to go up they will make big time on the players that have bought should they need to sell them, IMO.

6 minutes ago, Bluesteel said:

I think The Pelupessy deal is a sign of the type of deals we’ll be looking to do more of in the future?

I think the policy of signing proven championship players will be consigned to the past now?

4 minutes ago, Great Big Galaa said:

I think The Pelupessy deal is a sign of the type of deals we’ll be looking to do more of in the future?

I think the policy of signing proven championship players will be consigned to the past now?

It depends how much they cost I suppose. I don’t think we will spend huge fees again. With the exception of Rhodes (who won’t have cost 10m as reported in any case) we have been relatively shrewd in how we spent the money. Forestieiri for 3m, Hooper less than that, Winnall 500k, Fletcher, Bannan and Wallace free etc we haven’t been matching the spending of Wolves or even Derby on transfer fees at least.

The problem is that the money got us a team that is slightly older and of very similar characteristics, with little room to change that within FFP. 

Id like to see more of the signings like Winnall, Pelupessy etc blooding capable young players regardless of how much money is charged for tickets. This is what makes a club sustainable and free to operate within FFP as you can sell them on. If we have similar prices but do the above it should also allow room in the budget to capitalise on opportunities when a good player becomes available for the right price. 

We havent been a million miles away, we just need to think two steps ahead rather than trying to get it all done in one go.

15 minutes ago, Morepork said:

Yep, those comments from JL yesterday in relation to future opportunities for U23'a and U18's certainly point to youth being used extensively next season. If we can embellish that with some astute signings then it will be interesting. As you say it's all about balance. If we have confidence in the manager and his systems I still think we'll back him in the transfer market, spending big is not necessarily a risk if you approach it as Wolves have done. Their playing assets will certainly have appreciated in value even if they fail to go up, it's about buying the right type/age of player IMO.

As long as we aren’t being prepped for reliance on U23s it’s a sound approach. All it needs is one of these players to be a big hit and selling them helps a lot of FFP issues.

I do have concerns that we have the potential to go the way of Forest though should we shed too many players. They were up there for two or three years but never recovered from breaching FFP despite getting good money for Antonio and Assombalonga.

Fine bargains for most of the clubs in our league. We could easily have had about 10 more points on the board this season 

No reason that if we have a plan and are sensible with recruitment/sales we can’t push on again next season 

1 hour ago, Jon From Woodseats said:

Does that include spending about £50 million?

1 hour ago, BRADDO said:

It depends on whether DC is still up for it or whether he sells many of our assets to replace them with free transfers and U23s. He certainly hinted at this in the survey and we are at FFP limits. 

Do you mean the assetts that are currently/constantly injured