Sheffield Wednesday finances, contracts and players. Grab a cuppa and listen to this.

5 minutes ago, A12owl said:

Sorry but my attention span doesn't cover that length of podcast .Tea would have been cold well before the end.

Got bored listening to the intro. 

Can somebody publish the highlights 

Thank you.

Indeed. Basically we are at the point where if DC doesn't get a grip on spending, wages and outgoings we could be in serious trouble. Moving forward expect more youth opportunities and small fees on younger players with potential. The first two seasons was a gamble which alas failed narrowly but has left an aging squad with little resale value. The legacy of these signings will seriously impact our spending power for at least two more years. People are mistaken if they think selling Rhodes will improve this situation. It's a bit of a mess quite frankly. 

• Thanks 1

I listened to (nearly a full) one of their podcasts the other week.  

It was quite good. They had quite sensible opinions on most things. 

Podcasts are good to listening to while doing something else. 

Their intro song of “I’m up all night to get Lukukay” was quite amusing too. 

10 minutes ago, BRADDO said:

Indeed. Basically we are at the point where if DC doesn't get a grip on spending, wages and outgoings we could be in serious trouble. Moving forward expect more youth opportunities and small fees on younger players with potential. The first two seasons was a gamble which alas failed narrowly but has left an aging squad with little resale value. The legacy of these signings will seriously impact our spending power for at least two more years. People are mistaken if they think selling Rhodes will improve this situation. It's a bit of a mess quite frankly. 

Yet we've just dropped 2m on Joey.  Not the most extensive player  but didn't seem like a small fee either

16 minutes ago, steelowl said:

first 3 mins in pretentious  stuff about beer 

That’s when I switched off. Would put money on them having beards, mobile phone voicemail greeting of ‘whatsupppp?’ and a fridge dominated by hummus, Brewdog pale ale and sushi. 

• Haha 4

just listened, a bit arduous at points but overall worth it, much of it appears what we know but talks in more technical terms , high wage bill, little resale value etc 

Interesting bits include our organic match day income higher than many prem clubs eg Stoke but then again, no surprise really ?

Just makes me think back to how close we came last 2 play offs, then I particularly think about  Carlos' tactics  v Huddersfield

And if that was the bell tolling the end of DC's  '2 year project' WTF did he not act sooner ??   

Guest We Shall Overcome

Talk about being a 'Drama Queen' their is not much wrong with our squad of players, and a good coach will be able to get us promoted, with out wasting £millions and risking an embargo, with a few adjustments like releasing players, who are not good enough, and giving some of the good younger one a chance, I am sure our new Coach knows what we will need. This league is not all its cracked up to be,the Sky PR people have done a good job in scaring fans to death, in telling them how hard it is, but at the end if the day its

2 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

You guys really need to hear this. The best explanation of Sheffield Wednesday's situation that you'll hear.

It goes through the players we have, the kind of contracts they're on, the length of contracts, agents like Doyen, Club 1867, why selling players like Jordan Rhodes would actually mean we are way worse off in terms of FFP and more

It's a dense serious listen to grab a cuppa, pull up a chair, and focus on it and you'll learn all you need to know.

It's not the most positive outcome for Wednesday fans but we definitely need to hear and consider it all.

Essential listening even if you think that you understand FFP

Drama Queen!!!!!    

Guest We Shall Overcome
31 minutes ago, BRADDO said:

Don't worry BRADDO this time next year you will be on 'Cloud 9' and i will be bumping this thread!!!! P.S. beware of the Proper gander on this Site.

We all know we gambled and it didn't work. We all know we cannot sustain the strategy of buying in expensive players with no resale value. 

Recent recruitment strategy suggests we have learned from this and welcome more signings like Pelupessey at a reasonable fee and presumably reasonable wages. Other recent acquisitions such as Reach, Van Aken, Venancio alike are more exciting prospects and have arguably contributed more to the first team than some of our expensive acquisitions recently and have potential to develop.

I would be happy if we were no longer competing for Premier League drop downs and looking to develop players, similar to those mentioned above.

41 minutes ago, BRADDO said:

I haven't listened to it so apologies if wrong but why doesn't selling Rhodes and  getting his wages off the bill improve our finances