Sheffield Wednesday finances, contracts and players. Grab a cuppa and listen to this.

1 hour ago, Athelwulf said:

Fletcher, on paper, was a good signing.

It's just that we've not played in a manner to get the best from him.

Ditto Rhodes.

Even at the time people raised eyebrows over the length of contract for Fletcher. 

With Rhodes there were some who, although welcoming the signing, were well aware that other areas were in need of strengthening than CF. 

Just now, Ever the pessimist said:

Even at the time people raised eyebrows over the length of contract for Fletcher. 

With Rhodes there were some who, although welcoming the signing, were well aware that other areas were in need of strengthening than CF. 

I do remember a few people saying do we really need Rhodes and Winnall when they both signed within a couple of days of each other. Think it did get a bit frowned upon by some people arguing not to be so negative when the club had just made its record signing.

39 minutes ago, Geoffrey said:

It was obvious in the summer that we had overspent but many experts on here were in denial to FFP. The club has been poorly run and some of you need to wake up to the fact.

There was an attempt to get up to the PL in the first two years of FFP cycle and it almost worked. Sucks for us, but it didn't- it was a gamble that didn't pay off.
We'll be fine in the long run, but we're now going to have a couple of years where we need to re-calibrate the squad.

I see that as different than being poorly run, especially given the alternatives. What would you have had them do? 

19 minutes ago, HarrowbyOwl said:

Is this other people's understanding of the point about the club being worse off if we sell players?

Transfer fees are amortised (written off) over the term of the contract.
Example: 
Club pays 9m for a player on a 3 year contract.
Year 1 accounts=3m; Year 2 accounts=3m; Year 3 accounts=3m
Say the player is sold after year 1 for 5 million, there is still 6m of cost still on the books.
When the player is sold, even though there is 2 years left on the contract, the 'hit' of 6m happens in the current accounting year rather than being spread over 2.
That 6m is deducted from the 5m realised from the sale of the player.
So instead of having 5m to invest in the squad the club actually has an accounting loss of 1m as far as FFP is concerned.
So the club has sold the player but in the short term is actually worse off.

We would only be worse off if this was year 2 of Rhodes' contract and year 3 of the FFP period that poses a threat of overspending. Even then if the player's wages were more than the transfer fee depreciation you would still be better off. So in this instance if Rhodes' wages are more than 3m a year we would be better off selling.

It is complicated as the 3 year FFP period rolls over so the timing of sales and purchases can be crucial but as FFP is an artifice it has no bearing on the club's overall financial position. In the real world selling Rhodes for 5m brings in 5m. lol

I think most of the current squads contracts run out over the next 2 years so I expect a bit of wheeling and dealing during this period. The signing of Pelupessy is probably the type of signing we’ll look to bring in now, young, coming towards the end of their contract with their club and with potential. Probably the way to go TBH?

3 hours ago, ZIMMY said:

Talk about being a 'Drama Queen' their is not much wrong with our squad of players, and a good coach will be able to get us promoted, with out wasting £millions and risking an embargo, with a few adjustments like releasing players, who are not good enough, and giving some of the good younger one a chance, I am sure our new Coach knows what we will need. This league is not all its cracked up to be,the Sky PR people have done a good job in scaring fans to death, in telling them how hard it is, but at the end if the day its

Drama Queen!!!!!    

I think the podcast does present an overly pessimistic view of things. Particularly by implying that it is no use selling players to improve FFP or that our players are worthless in the transfer market or that the players are simply not good enough.

Winnall could be sold and his fee would more than offset the depreciation of an extra 170k brought forward from year 3 of his contract to year 2.

We are still only 3 or 4 signings away from being a top 6 team. We need some pace and strength but those players do not necessarily need to possess outstanding ability. They need to be able to serve as a tactical option to compliment the better players so should not be out of our price range.

If we believe that the poor showing this season is down to injuries, tactics, fitness and manager's inability to motivate then there is plenty of room for quick improvements to be made without radically changing the playing staff.

35 minutes ago, oldtawnyowl said:

If you're not prepared to invest your time in listening, why would you expect that someone who has taken the time to listen, then, take even more time to summarize the whole thing for you.:picnic:

Someone will.

I'm not from Sheffield so i'm not on the dole.

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

You guys really need to hear this. The best explanation of Sheffield Wednesday's situation that you'll hear.

It goes through the players we have, the kind of contracts they're on, the length of contracts, agents like Doyen, Club 1867, why selling players like Jordan Rhodes would actually mean we are way worse off in terms of FFP and more

It's a dense serious listen to grab a cuppa, pull up a chair, and focus on it and you'll learn all you need to know.

It's not the most positive outcome for Wednesday fans but we definitely need to hear and consider it all.

Essential listening even if you think that you understand FFP

Already a topic on this

This is a really good listen. The Nordic guy talks a lot of sense. 

Seems Wolves are in the clear as they've bought young quality players who would be sold on for profit if they didn't make the PL therefore negating any ffp fine . 

Not heard last 20 mins but it's worth a listen and has bought the arena of financing understanding up a lot. 

3 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

What do you think about FFP and the podcast though?

I think we should simply spend our way out of it....

I did that wiv me credit card defecit...you gotta keep spending and it gives the folk who are shelling out the money to you more confidence in yer ability to repay the massive wad you owe them.

"Wow that asteener is hardly worried, he just bought an Audi, why should we worry?!!"

Posted from Newgate prison debtors cell.....Gotta go...its my turn in the barrel........................

• Haha 5

26 minutes ago, timrud said:

There is a toxic minority that jump at the chance to stick the knife to DC in at every oppertunity

The thing about minorities in any walk of life or any subject area is that they only become relevant when there is some truth in what they are saying. 

5 hours ago, Middlewood Owl said:

Can't spare an hour and eleven to listen to that, hopefully someone will post a summary later.

One guy said that we are in a perilous position.

The other said DC needed to be more up front with our situation and we were up the creek if DC decides he's had enough.

One of them suggested KM was appointed as she had experience of a club downsizing when Charlton got relegated and that the appointment of Jos backed up this.

Well that was boring, still dont know what we are worried about.

It highlights that spending  money does not guarantee success.

Huddersfield got promotion by being financially savy and appointing a manager who knows how to coach, lets hope JL falls into this category.

1 hour ago, the mighty wednesday said:

I think the podcast does present an overly pessimistic view of things. Particularly by implying that it is no use selling players to improve FFP or that our players are worthless in the transfer market or that the players are simply not good enough.

Winnall could be sold and his fee would more than offset the depreciation of an extra 170k brought forward from year 3 of his contract to year 2.

We are still only 3 or 4 signings away from being a top 6 team. We need some pace and strength but those players do not necessarily need to possess outstanding ability. They need to be able to serve as a tactical option to compliment the better players so should not be out of our price range.

If we believe that the poor showing this season is down to injuries, tactics, fitness and manager's inability to motivate then there is plenty of room for quick improvements to be made without radically changing the playing staff.

Yep. I don't think we are even that. With more luck with injuries and players like Clare coming through I can't see why we won't be competitive next season.  In our current state - injury crisis, system not bedded in - we were the better side against Cardiff.