Jordan Rhodes - Disaster

9 hours ago, DJMortimer said:

This piqued my curiosity, so I thought I'd do some research. I suspected that when you used the term "stats" what you actually meant was more akin to guesswork. So, in games when Forestieri and Hooper have started together (mainly, but not always, as the front two), our record is:

2015/6       2016/7      TOTAL

Played                                   22               5              27

Won                                      13                3              16

Drawn                                     6                1               7

Lost                                         3                1              4

For                                         38               5              43

Against                                  14               4              18

Forestieri goals                        9               2               11

Hooper goals                         12               1               13

COMBINED GOALS              21               3               24

You'll have to explain to me what is "absolutely dire" about any of that.

15/16 when Hooper and FF played as strike partners they scored 4 goals. 

Hooper 4 (Leeds 2, Reading 1, Forest 1)

Forestieri 0

16/17 when they played as strike partners they scored 3 goals 

Forestieri 2 (Huddersfield, Fulham)

Hooper 1 (QPR)

Dire.

And added to that, the team stooped svoring too.

Like Ice cream and Boddingtons. Each a delight, but I wouldn’t want them together. 

Put Hooper up top with a biggish genuine striker. Play FF left to destroy fullbacks, cut in and score, and you have a fantastic attack. Your own stats show that, because 14 of those 21 goals came from exactly that set-up, Despite, As you say, the fact that more often than not they were foolishly played as co strikers.

5 hours ago, heppers said:

Getting subbed at Bumhole Stain didn't help him. Everyone singing 'What a waste of money' as he trailed off. First time I have heard both sets of fans singing together.....

I was at the game and I didn't hear one Wednesday fan singing that...

How on earth can this sort of thread help him or the team ?

Totally negative and destructive comments  like we see on this thread and others like it are not helpful to anyone , least of all the player involved.

Just leave it to the manager - that's what he is there for. He will sort it.

1 hour ago, madfan said:

Totally negative and destructive comments  like we see on this thread and others like it are not helpful to anyone , least of all the player involved.

Might as well not have an internet forum at all or chat about footy with my mates at the pub or at work.

Jordan Rhodes is paid thousands and thousands of pounds a week to deal with criticism. Don't dislike the bloke but its about time he earned it a bit more. 

All this talk about the game moving on etc.. is absolute nonsense.

Football is as simple or as complicated as you want to make it.

Rhodes is a great goalscorer. That can NOT be argued with. His record backs that up.

However, there is a way to play that gets the best out of him.

He will never use ‘pace’, he will very rarely beat a man – but that’s Jordan Rhodes – if he doesn’t score  people will quite rightly question what he brings to the table. But your expecting a brawler to turn into cultured boxer. Truth is he never has brought much else to the table no matter where he goes but his goals are king so his ‘lack of’ has never really been focused on before.

He needs to play with a target man, and have balls put into the box for him.

I personally see very little point focusing on his time with us because quite simply his confidence is shot and we have tried to shoehorn him into a side that produced 5 shots on target in the whole of November.

Its all very well demanding an end product taking into consideration our previous obsession in signing him and his large transfer fee – but things aren’t that cut and dry.

Lets give Jos the time needed with him and revaluate at the end of the season – rather than constant sniping and ridicule - at the the end of the day we all want him to succeed.

1 hour ago, benni8 said:

All this talk about the game moving on etc.. is absolute nonsense.

Football is as simple or as complicated as you want to make it.

Rhodes is a great goalscorer. That can NOT be argued with. His record backs that up.

However, there is a way to play that gets the best out of him.

He will never use ‘pace’, he will very rarely beat a man – but that’s Jordan Rhodes – if he doesn’t score  people will quite rightly question what he brings to the table. But your expecting a brawler to turn into cultured boxer. Truth is he never has brought much else to the table no matter where he goes but his goals are king so his ‘lack of’ has never really been focused on before.

He needs to play with a target man, and have balls put into the box for him.

I personally see very little point focusing on his time with us because quite simply his confidence is shot and we have tried to shoehorn him into a side that produced 5 shots on target in the whole of November.

Its all very well demanding an end product taking into consideration our previous obsession in signing him and his large transfer fee – but things aren’t that cut and dry.

Lets give Jos the time needed with him and revaluate at the end of the season – rather than constant sniping and ridicule - at the the end of the day we all want him to succeed.

The problem is the bulk of what you said is spot on but the job of the manager is not solely to get the best out of rhodes its to do the best for sheffield wednesday. Ive no doubt if we resign ben marshall and gary madine stick madine and rhodes up front with reach and marshall out wide supplying the crosses that rhodes will get a few more goals. But that type of football wont see us in the playoffs.

Football has undeniably moved on though. How many of the top teams in europe play with out and out wingers any more and a little and large combo upfront. Even in our league plenty of the top teams play with only one up top and virtually all of the championship teams that play attractive football thats actually entertaining to watch go with one up top. One of the few that nearly always starts with two up top is united and even they've dropped their immobile goalpoacher for two lads whos all round game and work rate puts rhodes to shame. Most of the top strikers now are complete all round athletes there a very few players at any level of the game that are just good finishers.

The criticism about the length of the thread is laughable as well its all part of the modern game, the internet moves as fast as football, compared to the talk on twitter and facebook the debate here is still largely fair and non abusive and people even occasionally try to be well reasoned in their arguments. Im sure theyll be people on twitter or instagram who have tracked down his dog and dedicate their days to telling him his owners useless. This thread is the least of his problems. The best footballers are positively motivated by criticism. People saying taking him off against united hasnt helped him despite the fact that in the game after that he put in a far better performance.

Not having a pop at Rhodes, but if a player becomes a problem, it does help if their name is say Best, Maradona, Cantona, Gascoigne, and their problem doesn’t relate to losing their football mojo. George Best played better completely ratted than Rhodes does sober, and he would never have refused to take a penalty.

I just wonder if having his dad around is a distraction for him, a professional footballer doesn’t suddenly forget how to play the game, I’m no expert, but I do know that telling someone that they are crap is not going to improve matters, conversally an arm around the shoulder when a metaphorical kick up the backside is in order doesn’t help either.

I’m certain that Jos’s approach to Rhodes will be a lot different to that of Carlos, just let the guy get his feet under the table before you expect him to solve all of the team’s obvious problems.

4 hours ago, alanharper said:

I was at the game and I didn't hear one Wednesday fan singing that...

I think you need help. Coming on here with your facts. Going to matches and posting your thoughts.

This is the realm of the armchair fan. The ITKer. The part timer. The fudders. The flouncers.

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, heppers said:

Getting subbed at Bumhole Stain didn't help him. Everyone singing 'What a waste of money' as he trailed off. First time I have heard both sets of fans singing together.....

It's right though, and whether he likes it or not he needs to realise that this club spent a lot of money on him due to his reputation and he isn't repaying that. You can sulk all you like, that isn't going to change anything. 

11 minutes ago, PolarNigel said:

It's right though, and whether he likes it or not he needs to realise that this club spent a lot of money on him due to his reputation and he isn't repaying that. You can sulk all you like, that isn't going to change anything. 

Do you think he's deliberately not scoring? 

To quote Costello "FFS"

Some of our fans are obsessed with Jordan Rhodes The clamour for his signing was ridiculous, though not as ridiculous as the decision to sign him

All this talk about the club needing to play to his strengths, rubbish He has to change his game to fit the way we play, or should leave

Edited by gurujuan

5 hours ago, madfan said:

Footballers simply have to cope with it...its part of football...

Lets be honest, if you can't discuss the merits or demerits of the team, the formations, who should play with whom, and who is or isn't performing..in your opinion...

What actually is the point of having a forum?

To slavishly say "ooh hard luck" every time we f.ook up?

I agree about there being limits..and I agree there should be no abuse...but I hardly see how discussing something you feel isn't working, in a proper manner should be seen as disloyal or deliberately negative

27 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Some of our fans are obsessed with Jordan Rhodes The clamour for his signing was ridiculous, though not as ridiculous as the decision to sign him

All this talk about the club needing to play to his strengths, rubbish He has to change his game to fit the way we play, or should leave

It was certainly questioned at the time by more than a few of us whether spending £10m (as reported at the time, although £8m is closer to reality) on Rhodes was a wise move, when as a team we were barely offering any service to the strikers - especially as we'd just bought Winnall and had all the other (then fit) strikers in the squad. God knows I wanted Rhodes to be a huge success here, I still do, but there's just no sign of him rediscovering the form of a few years ago. He hadn't been a success at Boro in a similarly defensive style of play either which set the alarm bells ringing.

I do wonder if Chansiri just naively thought that bunging a prolific striker into the team would automatically mean we scored more goals, rather than the cautious defensive tactics that Carlos adopted in his second season actually being the issue - in his first summer he was offering crazy money for one season scoring wonder Daryl Murphy, and was later linked with a big bid for McCormack. Since the play off final we've been crying out for a couple of key players with power and pace to add the final touch to that team and turn it into one genuinely capable of possibly even automatic promotion, but it never happened, and we just spent tens of millions on making the squad bigger instead with only one signing (Reach) actually becoming a first team regular.

37 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

We don’t know how we will play under Jos. All players should get a shot until the end of the season, unless they’ve been habitually injured. Abdi, Hutch, Westwood etc.

All this talk of changing the way we play to make him fire!!

when he has scored goals, alot of them seasons have been mediocre for the club hes at. take Blackburn for example.

when he came in he had to improve what we had, and just like so many other signings, he hasnt.

I take no pleasure in saying that, i dont want him to be crap. if you look at him as a bloke he is probably the nicest guy that plays for us. and he used to be deadly. why wouldnt i want him to be deadly for us? i do.

but 47 games in and i can only go on what i see him do in an Owls shirt, and truth be told, its not been great has it.