Jordan Rhodes - Disaster

10 hours ago, Sgt Wednesday said:

Rockets been slating him for about 9 months, after a decent game against Cardiff he's getting stick from many on here which is unwarranted.

The fact is Rocket would be talking to himself if Jordan Rhodes takes one of his 2 chances against Cardiff.

People are ignoring his work outside the box and refusing to accept our lack of creativity around him. Despite the last manager being hammered for his negative approach to games.

Are we a creative team or not?

Are all our strikers feeding off scraps or not?

We had 4 good chances to score against Cardiff, thats more decent chances than we have created for months under CC.

Jos came in and set us up to keep clean sheets (it was needed), his first game was the Utd game, we then went into the Cardiff game and kept a clean sheet while creating a number of decent chances.

Our strikers will need to adapt and get used to getting chances again.

I'm not Rocket...

And i think you are being a bit too kind on JR. For the price tag i'd expect a goals return for the chances he's had to date.

Hooper doesn't seem to struggle for us..

3 hours ago, Great Big Galaa said:

One thing Rhodes hasn’t really had with us is an extended run in the team. It looks as though in the league at least, he is now going to get this. Whether it makes much of a difference only time will tell.

This is another common misconception- he’s started 7 of the last 9 league games. Coming on at half time in one of the 2 games he didn’t start.

hes scored 2 goals in that period - one being in open play - the other a pen at forest. 

Guest Xxxxxxxxcxcc
47 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Surely we need to be proactive here, and cash in while he still has some value He’s not doing it here is he, so we should look to offload Perhaps some sort of swap deal might be the answer

I'd like to see how he does for the rest of the season under Jos. From his comments yesterday in the Star he seems to like JR and what he can bring to the table. 

Personally although he has been disappointing in general since he joined I saw glimpses of a partnership with Joao against Cardiff. Once we stopped the bizarre wellying of aimless clearances the pair of them were involved in 4 pretty clear cut chances. Something that we've not seen for a while. Yes I know; they weren't converted.

I take on board your view on how the game has evolved away from the likes of JR but I do have difficulties believing that a hitherto lethal goalscorer now misses chances that would have been routine conversions more often than not in the past. Confidence I think is probably at play here.

It's pretty subjective and some have made up their minds. I was delighted when we signed him but am now at the crossroads. Injuries apart it's make or break for me now. He needs to perform under Jos

7 minutes ago, Adam Reachs left peg said:

Disaster hmmm ? Personally I would say his confidence is completely shot mainly owning to the fact he was frozen out at Middlesbrough needs game time and goals for sure hope he bags a hat trick come Tuesday night 

His Middlesbrough woes ended one year ago. If it takes him so long to get back on track, we really do have a problem on our hands.

Guest Xxxxxxxxcxcc
15 minutes ago, ChinaOwl said:

His Middlesbrough woes ended one year ago. If it takes him so long to get back on track, we really do have a problem on our hands.

Hopefully under the new regime we'll see the best of JR , LJ, AA, MM etc too

The problem for me, with giving him until the end of the season, is it could leave us behind the eight ball Fine, if he finds his scoring boots, or perhaps more importantly, adapts to the way that the game is played these days Is that likely?

If he is unable to change, we’ve wasted 5 months, where we could have been bedding in a more appropriate striker

Also, his stock is pretty low now, so how much would we get for him in the summer 

Personally, I’d like to see us use this time to perfect a way of playing, so we are ready to go, come next August

9 hours ago, OWLERTON GHOST said:

That does actually work shezza 

When Dave came on at the Dogshit that was Bolton away Rhodes nabbed 2 and Dave nearly equalised. .

Don't think either have 90 mins together though...

But I bet you knew this anyway ?....

You may have an idea there we start with joao and matias, let them use their trickery and pace, then change things up second half with Jordan and Dave  plan b??. 

• Like 1

Guest Xxxxxxxxcxcc
16 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

The problem for me, with giving him until the end of the season, is it could leave us behind the eight ball Fine, if he finds his scoring boots, or perhaps more importantly, adapts to the way that the game is played these days Is that likely?

If he is unable to change, we’ve wasted 5 months, where we could have been bedding in a more appropriate striker

Also, his stock is pretty low now, so how much would we get for him in the summer 

Personally, I’d like to see us use this time to perfect a way of playing, so we are ready to go, come next August

Gamble either way. I favour seeing if Jos can reignite things with him (and others who foundered under CC) as this would improve rather than diminish his stock but can understand your perspective.

10 minutes ago, shezzas left peg said:

You may have an idea there we start with joao and matias, let them use their trickery and pace, then change things up second half with Jordan and Dave  plan b??. 

That's something that's been said loads of times on here Shez . I think Snoots has put this a few times on his pre match Briefs... Carlos and his lack of Plan B's 

I think this is about to change? (positively thinking at Owlerton Towers)

Edited by OWLERTON GHOST

2 minutes ago, Xxxxxxxxcxcc said:

Gamble either way. I favour seeing if Jos can reignite things with him (and others who foundered under CC) as this would improve rather than diminish his stock but can understand your perspective.

I guess it depends on whether you believe you can integrate Rhodes into the shape of the team going forwards

For me at least, I believe our recruitment was so fooked up, and not just Rhodes, that any attempts to compromise, will be just that We have to bite the bullet, and get rid of those players who took us in a different direction Players like Rhodes are just confusing the issue, in my opinion

Guest Xxxxxxxxcxcc
10 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

I guess it depends on whether you believe you can integrate Rhodes into the shape of the team going forwards

For me at least, I believe our recruitment was so fooked up, and not just Rhodes, that any attempts to compromise, will be just that We have to bite the bullet, and get rid of those players who took us in a different direction Players like Rhodes are just confusing the issue, in my opinion

Understand that for sure. My view is that along with haphazard recruitment there  was poor utilisation of players perhaps  leading to misleading loss  of confidence and form.Jos has indicated that he sees value in JR so I personally prefer to see what he can make of players who foundered under CC before moving them on at losses.

15 minutes ago, Xxxxxxxxcxcc said:

Understand that for sure. My view is that along with haphazard recruitment there  was poor utilisation of players perhaps  leading to misleading loss  of confidence and form.Jos has indicated that he sees value in JR so I personally prefer to see what he can make of players who foundered under CC before moving them on at losses.

Agree totally bud, though I do think we could maybe try and get some of the old guard and crocks like Fletcher and abdi that are probably on big wages even if we let the go for free, as it still frees up wages. 

Guest Xxxxxxxxcxcc
7 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Well yes, that is what we'll have to do However, I hope Jos doesn't waste valuable time on trying to fit square pegs in round holes. I think we've all had enough of that

Agreed. Somehow dont think he will though. Signs against Cardiff that JR and LJ can work together IMO despite the misses.

Edited by Xxxxxxxxcxcc

2 minutes ago, Xxxxxxxxcxcc said:

Agreed. Somehow dont think he will though. Signs against Cardiff that JR and LJ can work together IMO.

I like Joao, I've always said he's worth persevering with Not sure that he will ever be prolific, but he potentially has everything you would look for in a modern striker 

Possibly he can form a good partnership with Rhodes, though I have to say, I'm sceptical Out of all our strikers, I think Forestieri is by far the best partner for Joao

However, he's currently unavailable, so Rhodes does have an opportunity to forge a partnership Please though, let's have no more of this "change the way we play to get the best out of Jordan Rhodes"