O'Grady and Nielsen

After a shakey first 5 minutes I thought they both settled well, COG especially carrying the ball out of defence. 

There was a couple of risky back passes to Dawson, was a disaster waiting to happen in those conditions.

Overall a solid display given their lack of first team chances so far. 

43 minutes ago, N0rtherner said:

Was Nielsen better than Van Aken? Could he be the player to gamble on to step up alongside Fred in central defence?

Not for me.  He needs more time.  He had a very composed first half but I think the nerves showed in the second half and the Carlisle forwards didn't give him any time when he received the ball.

Great prospect though.

45 minutes ago, N0rtherner said:

Was Nielsen better than Van Aken? Could he be the player to gamble on to step up alongside Fred in central defence?

Nowhere near 

He has the perfect build for a centre back - I’m just hoping that’s not all he has. 

Both need proper football week in week week out for at least a season 

Always good to see youth players make their debuts for the club. It hasn't happened that often, after all. And neither O'Grady or Nielsen let us down.

Actually, were it not for being cup-tied, I'd have thought Thorniley would've played last night, and probably instead of Nielsen.

This is the only 'good' thing about our current injury crisis in that it gives chances to some U23s.

I think after yesterday's performances we could well see O'Grady partnering Pudil and Venâncio if we are to stick with a back 3 against Cardiff.

1 hour ago, nethertonowl said:

How did he look playing on the left when he is right footed? Did it change his distribution at all?

Not particularly. You could tell he was more comfortable with his right, but no real awkward moments on his left. 

10 minutes ago, full fathom five said:

Listened to radio Sheffield and Jon Newsome was critical of both saying that O'Grady kept having to come inside on to his favoured right foot instead of playing the ball down the channel.

Said of Nielsen that although he's taller he kept losing headers against the smaller Carlisle forward.

I agree, Radio Sheffield team didn't sound impressed at all.

I didn't take that as a negative, they barely had a good word to say about anyone in our team. I thought Newsome was supposed to be an owl. Most local radio sports reporter try to look for the positives in their teams rather than finding fault. I don't want a rose tinted spectacles view, balance is more useful but last night they did nothing but find fault. A bit of understanding about the lack of experience would have been appreciated. Even a comment like 'he did well, a bit raw round the edges but with more experience he could become a good player'.

O'grady did insist on turning and playing ball back to Dawson, when he had players wanting it down the line. Boyd got frustrated on a couple of occasions. For a lad who's not the tallest, he won plenty of headers and was committed in the tackle. Nielson on the the other hand, missed headers v smaller opposition and wasn't as composed. Think O'grady will be the better first team prospect after last nights showing 

I was impressed with O’Grady.

He played with confidence and looked the part.

Nielsen did ok too. Distribution wise he’s got to improve but that’s something that can be worked on. 

Dawson looks a prospect for me. I know he’s played before but as with O’Grady he played with confidence. I thought his catching was superb, particularly considering the conditions. He’s also very good kicking with both feet and seems to get good distance.

10 hours ago, S36 OWL said:

Having a manger who believes in bringing the young players though gives these lads someone to aim for , instead of knowing it didnt matter how well they performed for the U23`s ,they wouldnt get a chance in the first team squad. 

Yep my thoughts exactly 

3 minutes ago, g-owls said:

I was impressed with O’Grady.

He played with confidence and looked the part.

Nielsen did ok too. Distribution wise he’s got to improve but that’s something that can be worked on. 

Dawson looks a prospect for me. I know he’s played before but as with O’Grady he played with confidence. I thought his catching was superb, particularly considering the conditions. He’s also very good kicking with both feet and seems to get good distance.

Been impressed with Wildsmith's form these last few games, but I have to say that prior to this I did rate Dawson higher.