O'Grady and Nielsen

58 minutes ago, prowl said:

I agree, Radio Sheffield team didn't sound impressed at all.

I didn't take that as a negative, they barely had a good word to say about anyone in our team. I thought Newsome was supposed to be an owl. Most local radio sports reporter try to look for the positives in their teams rather than finding fault. I don't want a rose tinted spectacles view, balance is more useful but last night they did nothing but find fault. A bit of understanding about the lack of experience would have been appreciated. Even a comment like 'he did well, a bit raw round the edges but with more experience he could become a good player'.

Radio Sheffield reporters just sounded like they didn't want to be there.

14 hours ago, a_weishaupt said:

I think tonight we need to say well done to these two players.

Whilst not up against the best opposition they will ever encounter, I think that they both would have welcomed starting tonight alongside more experienced players.

Well done both.   And Fred too.  

Got back late and busy this morning otherwise I was going to post the same thread.

All 3 centre halves (centre thirds?) looked good comfortable, in control and solid last night, with Venancio looking more and more like future captain material with every game, Freddy Nielsen, looking as solid and reliable as his uncle Roland and for me the star of last nights defence, babby COG, who looked as though he had always played there, covered every defensive situation, marked runners sensibly, blocked well, moved forward into midfield to help out when we were looking like getting outnumbered and generally looking like the finished article. He was totally assured and had the same kind of feel to him as Kieren Lee, whereby he always seems to do the right thing from a pure footballing perspective. He has a very good footballing brain on him and reads situations and requirements very quickly.

He really must get game time now, either with the first team or out on loan. It is difficult to imagine how he would cope with topChampionship quality players, but I strongly believe that there is only one way to find out and right now we have little to lose, with the transfer deadline a while away (where we always conclude our business anyway), we ought to be at least giving him periods of game time to see how he responds to the challenge.

It was so refreshing to see two young defenders play for the first team without constantly being told what to do or what they should have done. Nielsen also got some great blocks and tackles in and his distribution was also good with both players looking unflustered in possession.

Let's hope they can both make the step up before too long or before DC shells out another silly amount of money that holds us back next season. If we are going for a defender this window, please get one on loan or on a free and a short term contract.

UTO!  

14 hours ago, a_weishaupt said:

I think tonight we need to say well done to these two players.

Whilst not up against the best opposition they will ever encounter, I think that they both would have welcomed starting tonight alongside more experienced players.

Well done both.   And Fred too.  

I didn't do to the game but by all account after a shaky start when there player could have scored all three played very well.

With Loovens missing for the next game and Pudil likely to come in which one of the two would you play on Saturday based on last nights performance? 

3 hours ago, full fathom five said:

Radio Sheffield reporters just sounded like they didn't want to be there.

The Star reporters were not much better either. OK they noticed that Matias had a good game, but totally ignored the fact that Adthe also set one up and scored one while playing some great knock ons and hold up play, while Venancio and the young defenders looked like a solid unit, who played together every week.

OK we were not playing any real quality, but the banana skin was there and you get the feeling that radio Sheffield and Star reporters just want to see Wednesday fail at every turn because it makes better news for them, as none of them are Wednesdayites and more often than not sound more happy when we trip up.

Neither O'Grady or Neilsen get shouted from rooftops when people talk about talent in Academy and u/23s, which suggests maybe more tocome . The opposition was not great but the lads did all they were asked. O'Grady looked a good footballer and his height has been questioned but he looked competent in air. Think sheer size of Neilsen (must be 6ft 8in plus) made everyone else look small. delighted we areplaying lads from U/23s

17 minutes ago, gypsyowl said:

sorry if this has already been covered 

but as loovens is suspended for Saturday, which one of the 2 young' uns will be playing with Fred & Pudil??

Think we have to wait to see who Jos rates more highly or who he feels would suit his system better for the game.

He may even choose to play 4231 

9 hours ago, prowl said:

I agree, Radio Sheffield team didn't sound impressed at all.

I didn't take that as a negative, they barely had a good word to say about anyone in our team. I thought Newsome was supposed to be an owl. Most local radio sports reporter try to look for the positives in their teams rather than finding fault. I don't want a rose tinted spectacles view, balance is more useful but last night they did nothing but find fault. A bit of understanding about the lack of experience would have been appreciated. Even a comment like 'he did well, a bit raw round the edges but with more experience he could become a good player'.

Radio Sheffield are just pi $$ed off that we got something at the Laneabau. If I was DC, I'd tell the local media to do one. They only want to cover the lower league pep and the bargainlacticos anyway WTF: