Starting Lineup against The Blades...

I’d go with Loovens, venancio and Pudil as a back 3

Palmer and Reach as wingbacks

Hutchinson infront of the back 3

Boyd, Jones and Abdi in midfield 

Joao up top on his own

The midfield battle needs to be won and we’ll get murdered if we start with just two in there

I gave this plenty of thought over a cheese toasty at lunch time and here is my assessment of the situation we are facing at Bramall Lane.

I'm glad to hear Jos prefers 4-2-3-1, as do I. I have no UEFA coaching badges, but won the Champions League with Dagenham and Redbridge in 1998 on Championship Manager for the 486 PC as it was back then. I've played at a very low level, mostly 5-7 a side (Depending on who tuned up) on Astro turf, but I, like the rest of you know more than these "so called" professional football managers.

Looking at most line ups, without Hooper; Joao is the only choice to start up front. He scored in the last Derby, he always looks a menace, even to his own team mates. I think he'll thrive in the cauldron which will be Bramall Lane. (Never forget, our original home, from which we were evicted by the Landlord, Sheffield United Cricket Club :carlosswfc:)

As for the rest, we need three centre mids with work rate, to match the Blades (Never forget our original club nickname stolen from us by Sheffield United Cricket Club :carlosswfc:). As you well know Carlos, its just not cricket.

Of the three centres mids required, Boyd is the biggest attacking threat out of Jones, Reach and himself, thus he should play in the more advanced role.

Bullen hit on something at Forrest, which we should continue to use on Friday, that Wallace has a decent left peg. Wallace will have more  opportunities to put decent crosses in than he'll have to score one of his wonder strikes from previous seasons on the right. Consequently, keep Wallace out wide on the left to get service into Boyd, Joao and Mattias.

"Why the #### Mattias?", I here you scream violently as you hold me by the scruff of the neck: For me he's like buying a lottery ticket and these are literally the last 11 players we have who are fit. If he doesn't show up for the first 20 minutes I'd sub him, just like Tricky Trev used too. Palmer and Reach will have to be given instruction to cover for him as he doesn't have a clue defensively, but he could change the game at the other end. (As like Elland Road). Defensively he just needs to chase the Utd defenders and make like difficult for them.

You could start Abdi on the right, but he has no pace. You could start Abdi in front of Boyd, but he has no work rate and I am unimpressed that he hasn't been knocking on the door of this team for well over a year now. I don't see any possibility that Abdi can beat a full back either. That's why I'd drop Reach into midfield as a box to box centre mid as I don't see Reach ever mastering the art of the step over to beat a full back, but he reminds me more of Steven Gerard, especially with his strikes from centre mid this season.

As for the back four, Hutch has to start a centre back, he's the only player we can rely on to read the game and get his foot stuck in when required. (Keep your eye on Leon, Hutch). 

Palmer is the only fit right back. I never had a problem with him as he's always been Wednesday, though he may have been misguided by the previous regime. Same goes for Wildsmith. These two know what the Derby, sorry Durby, means. Don't be surprised if Palmer tries belting one in from 40 yards, and good luck to him!..... and the Utd fans in the Kop....out

lol

That leaves left back and another centre half spot up for grabs, and if any of you are any good at that position get yourself down to Middlewood road sharpish for a trial.... And in all honesty, Jos will have to look very closely at who's fit and who's mentally fit to play in these last two positions. I'd even consider play Big Dave at Centre half as no other CB has put down a claim to that spot this season. At least he'd be a threat at Setpieces at the other end. I said to my Dad during the Burton game, as Big Dave was charging around the pitch "He's our best player, and he's not even a footballer!" You have to have him in and around the team. Maybe he can play CB? I'm sure he'd play anywhere for Wednesday if asked.

The dismal CBs include our club captain Glen Loovens. After the Burton - Loovens / Butterfield  penalty debacle, I would have substituted Loovens and transfer listed him there and then (same nonsense he's played with Bannan all season) But: as we don't have any fit or reliable CBs and the new Manager is Dutch, I'll let Jos decide because I don't have a clue on this one. He may even flip a coin on Friday afternoon.

As for team mentality: Counter attack, stay in formation. Defend from the front, with Joao and Mattias as out balls to hit Utd on the break. I can't believe Utd have got to where they are playing, while playing three at the back. They will play possession football and they will chase every lost cause, as we saw at Hillsborough. We can expect to concede possession, but we have to chase every lost cause, at the very least, and make life difficult for them. Try and put them under pressure. Try and get them complaining to the ref. Try and hit them on the break, and with there three attacking CBs, hopefully we'll find space behind them on the counter attack.

All the best Jos and UTO

garymegson

http://sharemytactics.com/103352/

The Derby 201801.PNG

It depresses me typing this team...the only positive is that going into a derby form always goes out the window so uhhh we have that i guess. Based on the feedback from the Sheffield journalist scene it sounds like we won't have anyone back except Hutchinson so i'd go for

Wildsmith

Palmer

Venacio

Loovens

Fox

Boyd

Jones

Hutchinson

Reach

Joao

Rhodes

Butterfield cannot be on the pitch at the same time with Jones or the stadium will implode, i hope i don't have to witness them together again this season. I'd like to think Reach will play fairly centrally and provide a driving force in midfield now we have Joao up front who has the pace to make runs into space.

2 hours ago, hugeowl said:

If we do play with one up top it should defiantly  NOT be Rhodes , he would get bullied to fvckery 

Good point about the bullying of Rhodes. What I don't understand is why Rhodes doesn't give it back. If anything that's what he's missing, a nasty streak.

Someone needs to get him angry. FFS we all are about his current situation.

Wildsmith

Palmer                     Venâncio                     Loovens                     Pudil

Hutchinson 

Clare                                 Reach 

Boyd                                                                                      Wallace

Joao

Must have tackling and energy in that central area if we're to have any chance. 

And someone up top to turn them round and run at them. They can be got at.

27 minutes ago, Lord Snooty said:

Wildsmith

Palmer                     Venâncio                     Loovens                     Pudil

Hutchinson 

Clare                                 Reach 

Boyd                                                                                      Wallace

Joao

Must have tackling and energy in that central area if we're to have any chance. 

And someone up top to turn them round and run at them. They can be got at.

Reach wouldn't go in for a tackle even if it was 70-30 in his favour, not seen such a powder puff player in a long time, though I would still play him for the odd things he can do

1. Wildsmith

2. Andy Crock

3. Bill Cripple

4. Dave (with Dodgy leg) Legg

5. Steve (two speeds - slow and slower) Knackered

6. Jeff Biscuit (Knees)

7. Axl Dunn (again)

8. Rip Torn (hamstring)

9. G Roin-Strain

10. Mike Ruciate (gone again)

11. Achilles Rupture

No idea on the subs though

37 minutes ago, RoyCroppersHair said:

Reach wouldn't go in for a tackle even if it was 70-30 in his favour, not seen such a powder puff player in a long time, though I would still play him for the odd things he can do

To be fair to him Roy I was mainly thinking of Hutch doing the tackling and Reach doing the running!

Jos couldn't have asked for a tougher start. He's going to have to produce a miracle to get a result with the players he has available. 

Were so weak in every position at the moment. The players who are playing are in poor form and we're in a precarious league position. We're a mess.

If it's 4231 I'd go...

Wildsmith

Palmer Venancio Loovens Pudil

Hutch Jones 

Clare          Reach       Boyd

Joao 

...and try to hit them on the counter. 

The front 4 are all athletic and can carry the ball. Ok Clare is a an unknown and it's a huge occasion for him, but as others have said, he's fit confident and in form. Why not give him a chance?