Ross Wallace

Guest RocketOwl
On 16/12/2017 at 15:02, Mmmbop said:

Scored some great goals that will live long in the memory. That being said, it's the present that he should be judged on. As many people have said, his legs have gone. He hasn't got a trick, he has no pace, he cannot pick a pass, cannot track back and he added last night the fact he cannot make a 10 yard pass. Why does he deserve respect off the back of that? It is here and now that we live in

Contributes more then Rhodes.

We don't set up to suit Wallace strengths.

he's not the only one is he, some very poor comments on here that I'm disappointed to read about a player who's giving his all to us to our cause for the past 2.5 years

it's similar to Loovens, both arrived on a free, they've had their peak of their career already but have still given 100% to SWFC, yes they shouldn't play as much as they do but how is that their fault? Their professionals who give it their all.

football fans sometimes have no shame to just chuck your own players under the bus because they are struggling for form, pathetic! 

Said before start of season we needed a replacement, he's like several others we've signed too old and the legs have gone to be expected to play 46 games and season. Needed a younger fitter player to share the load, matias is always injured or Carlos won't play him and his natural replacement in Boyd seems like we may have another abdi on the books. 

9 minutes ago, Shetland Owl said:

Never played well this season, only other choice at this time would be Matias or one of the young ones- cannot be any worse

well matias was worse was dragged off at half vs hull, didn't think it was possible to be as bad or worse than Wallace.both need to leave .

On 12/15/2017 at 22:40, RocketOwl said:

Wallace unfortunately looks like his legs have gone.

Weve had good mileage out of Ross. People need to show him a lot more respect. He's still trying and it's not his fault we have no one else.

What I wonder about, having seen matches where Palmer goes by on the overlap but he doesn't use him because he pulls a defender away with him, leaving Wallace the option to cut in - in what I'd call his signature move after having seen him to it enough times, most memorably in the Brighton play offs where he then cuts in and lets a long shot on goal fly. Why doesn't he do that anymore?

It could be his legs have gone; I remember seeing him clutch his thighs after some of those shots, but some of those shots have been spot on for some screamers.

Now we're either getting chute deliveries with no recipient from Palmer and Fox when they do get played through, and Wallace's crosses have been worse. Reach is the best to get on the wing for pinpoint crosses that actually hit Rhodes, Fletcher or Hooper on the head.

So, if Wallace keeps getting played, I'd like to see him rather go for it with a shot towards goal, instead of swiveling around looking either how to yet again get it through to the overlap or even worse, another back pass during which the opposition has suddenly all men behind the ball again.

Ross has been a good servant to Wednesday but I think he ought to go in the summer along with Loovens and Pudil.

There's no point tying up wages on players that are not top Championship quality, maybe the money could be used to pay some of the more promising players wanting to make a name for themselves at a bigger club.  A pity a few more contracts aren't up as well.

Edited by Beauchief Owl

Guest RocketOwl
2 hours ago, N0rtherner said:

What I wonder about, having seen matches where Palmer goes by on the overlap but he doesn't use him because he pulls a defender away with him, leaving Wallace the option to cut in - in what I'd call his signature move after having seen him to it enough times, most memorably in the Brighton play offs where he then cuts in and lets a long shot on goal fly. Why doesn't he do that anymore?

It could be his legs have gone; I remember seeing him clutch his thighs after some of those shots, but some of those shots have been spot on for some screamers.

Now we're either getting chute deliveries with no recipient from Palmer and Fox when they do get played through, and Wallace's crosses have been worse. Reach is the best to get on the wing for pinpoint crosses that actually hit Rhodes, Fletcher or Hooper on the head.

So, if Wallace keeps getting played, I'd like to see him rather go for it with a shot towards goal, instead of swiveling around looking either how to yet again get it through to the overlap or even worse, another back pass during which the opposition has suddenly all men behind the ball again.

Having played the game for a number of years and gone through that process where you start losing your pace etc I can see this is what's happening with Wallace.

He has lost all confidence because of it. He Doesn't want the ball like he used to. For me Wallace is a clever player who I thought may be ok without pace because he's got a good left foot, good vision and can still cross. I'm hoping it may be that he can no longer do the role he's being asked for due to age. I'm sure with a change of his role we can still get some decent mileage from Him. I think he's going through the process where he is losing aspects of his ability but is in denial. Once he comes to terms with this he can apply himself differently and should regain his confidence. He needs to be played as an actual left midfielder like Brunt - and use his left foot to good use: 

Wallace was struggling to do the basics right on Friday, simple passes and crosses, that's not something that you lose when you lose a half yard of pace. Its more to do with application and self confidence, and that's an issue that the coaches and Wallace need to address. We should be getting more out of him.

Whatever happens with him it looks like he'll be on his way in the summer as his contract is up, he's been a decent player who has been largely overrated in the first 2 seasons. 

5 hours ago, Pale Rider said:

Good first season. Average second season. Downward spiral has accelerated. Don’t have Boyd, Matias for me hasn’t offered anything since day one. This area sums up the effectiveness of the recruitment. 

Really good point,  but it also does highlight the fact that he has to play because there is no one else who can at the moment. Boyd aside, who is injured, was presumably Wallace's replacement as Mattias was continually injured. With both not available, unless. You play 3 in midfield Wallace will always start.

This season, he has looked way off the pace. Against Wolves it took up until the 89th minute for him to stand on the right hand touchline. He offers no help or outlet to Palmer.

He has been a decent player for us, but his last game was diabolical. If Mattias or even Abdi were fit, I would play them instead of Wallace.

On 15/12/2017 at 21:40, RocketOwl said:

Wallace unfortunately looks like his legs have gone.

Weve had good mileage out of Ross. People need to show him a lot more respect. He's still trying and it's not his fault we have no one else.

He doesn’t need respect , he’s been a decent signing who’s been very well paid for his services. He’s now of no use and should have been moved on 

16 minutes ago, kendoddsdadsdogsdead said:

Really good point,  but it also does highlight the fact that he has to play because there is no one else who can at the moment. Boyd aside, who is injured, was presumably Wallace's replacement as Mattias was continually injured. With both not available, unless. You play 3 in midfield Wallace will always start.

This season, he has looked way off the pace. Against Wolves it took up until the 89th minute for him to stand on the right hand touchline. He offers no help or outlet to Palmer.

He has been a decent player for us, but his last game was diabolical. If Mattias or even Abdi were fit, I would play them instead of Wallace.

Matias has been fit all season. Had one poor first half the other week after not playing in ages, yet Wallace gets picked despite consista rly bad performances week in week out