ASK THE SHEFFIELD WEDNESDAY CHAIRMAN - PART 6 - The New SWFC Kits

3 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

I've never heard of a company doing what that company did

It's strange

If the contract was in place and defined then I cannot see how they can do what they're reported to have done

Would love to hear their version

I've had a few try and pull similar things:

Typically what happens is someone on the sales side mistakenly lowballs, then they end up canned or else have to call back and try and renegotiate an already settled deal.

(Also, I confess, have been in the other side of the phone call too).

It happens.

Guest Copthorneowl

Reputable companies and particularly companies engaged in making clothing for a large public market do not normally risk their reputation and standing by doing things like what's been mentioned...without good reason.

The Chairmans statement refers to detailed design issues and further discussions which led to a price double hike at the 11th hour. We do not know the detail of our additional design requirements or any other issue..it's not commented on by DC.

We have not heard both sides of this story just ours. Personally I wouldn't rush to jump to conclusions and blame a supplier or the club for that matter.  The club have been ridiculed and pilloried for late deliveries hence our club statement is meant to defect any negativity away so perhaps we should just take that into consideration.  Nobody knows or can guess who is really to blame but it may come out in time.

Added to which (not that I have didlysquat interest in a shirt) they are going to be £59 quid so hardly a decision that's helped is it.

2 hours ago, matthefish2002 said:

Supplier doubling the price at the 11th hour doesn't ring true to me.

Rings true to me.

This is how I see events:

We drop Sondico and go looking for a new independent shirt / designer manufacturer. By definition, it will probably be a company new to the market. I recall mention of "the company that makes clothing for Mercedes", so a company not into the quantities that SWFC want.

Its all a tight time wise, and the supplier can't give a fixed price, because they just don't have the past record to go on. So a contract is agreed based on an estimate, which was acceptable to the club, but with a price escalator if costs turn out to be higher than expected. And the club would have an opt out at this point.

So it came to pass that costs were higher, much higher (or the seller was trying it on) and the club said bye bye. 

As neither the club, nor the supplier, is taking the other party to court over breach of contract, suggests that the initial contract was fairly loose. 

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, Tamworthowl said:

As neither the club, nor the supplier, is taking the other party to court over breach of contract, suggests that the initial contract was fairly loose.

The fact that we haven't took legal action would suggest that the full story has not been told.

6 minutes ago, Geoffrey said:

The fact that we haven't took legal action would suggest that the full story has not been told.

Not necessarily. 

It's not always cheap to start suing people/companies. 

Though I agree that there's clearly going to be two sides to the story. 

Either way, I hope the club has learned from this experience and long-term we are better for it. The whole kit thing was a bit of a shambles from start to finish. Releasing it late was bad enough, but then when we do it comes out as the 5th most expensive kit in England. Not good. 

9 minutes ago, Geoffrey said:

Either that, or the manufacturer is based out of China and the SWFC legal team is well aware that any attempts at litigation would be completely fruitless...

Just now, Indoor Owl said:

Either that, or the manufacturer is based out of China and the SWFC legal team is well aware that any attempts at litigation would be completely fruitless...

It might not be just fruitless, but commercially not worthwhile. 

3 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

The reasons were mainly twofold. Firstly, given the EFL’s Profitability and Sustainability regulations, the need to drive revenue and ultimately profit has never been more acute. Secondly, we believed that the club could harness full quality and design control to ensure the best possible product for our supporters. 

Both these objectives could've easily been achieved by learning from last season's feedback and listening to what customers wanted.

Blue and white striped shirts with a nice 150 logo and black shorts. All at a reasonable price.

• Like 1

When my company enters into a contract with a supplier we have contracts drawn up and signed so no one can double the price. Surely a man who has made his money from property were solicitor and lawyers are an every day necessity why was the supplier allowed to increase thr price 2 fold.

Then further more would you not have the cost set in stone before wasting time on design. Yes we haven't done this before but the whole approach seems very gung hoe.

One more question for DC if making the shirts yourself and getting an Australian company to do it I am not sure if that classes as doing it yourself. If as DC said this made them 4 times cheaper why is the saving or some of it not been passed on and instead the fans have been screwed for even more surely the price should be at the very least the same as last year.

3 hours ago, Indoor Owl said:

When they (in this case, mistakenly) think that they are holding all the cards because the club would have to have the kits ready for the start of the season or go without.

DC called their bluff, and I think this is a fantastic move by the club.  So what if the kits were late, no sense dealing with that type of hostage situation.

I think this is great. I like to imagine the meeting when they push a bit of paper over the desk and say "this is our price now, take it or leave it". Thinking 'these guys have nowhere to go'

Our Chansiri pushes the paper back and says "shove it up your arse" gets up and leaves

Love to see the look on their faces

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, NorthernOwl said:

Yep but at least he was honest and is clear it won't happen again. As long as we address issues when they arise and don't make the same mistakes twice then I'm happy.

The problem with everything the club does is they don't have anyone with any knowledge of experience at the club and instead of planning ahead leave everything to the last-minute and wing it hoping it falls into place.