Time For Rhodes

1 minute ago, Earlsfieldowl said:

So who is responsible for the strategy, setup and selection of the midfield? 

i.e the framework for the payers to ‘step up’ as you put it and perform to their ability?

Thats a very simplistic approach to the situation, you're basically attributing any aspect of the squad back to the coach which is true whether we're doing well or doing bad.

Every coach has the right to approach the game with his own ethos. We can't adjust our entire way of play to suit one player.

Bring in a new manager, for me right at this time it would be Megson and then give Rhodes a good run in the team, if it works we keep him and everyone is happy again, if it doesn't unload him to anybody that will have him for half the fee we paid and just get rid.

41 minutes ago, Arthur Bach said:

Fletcher was fantastic in the first half yesterday but had clearly run out of steam.

Despite everything, the two up front are the best pairing we have had in a while - nothing bad at all to say about Hooper and Fletcher. They are our engine room at the minute.

The way Fletcher played in first half was as though he’d been told he was only getting an hour. He ran himself into the ground 1st half. No complaints. 

I thought it was a certainty he’d come off after 60 for Joao. 

51 minutes ago, fife_owl said:

It's a bit depressing on here - so I thought I'd start an old fashioned thread about the team.

I think the last few games have blown the idea that Fletcher and Hooper work as a partnership.  Good friends - yes; potent strike force - no. Fletcher has never been prolific as a goal scorer so must earn his place laying on goals for others and there hasn't been enough of those.

Rhodes has been prolific at this level, he's also worked on his game as contributor.  For me, he should get a run in the side starting on Tuesday and let's see how he does.

Joao and hooper for me

45 minutes ago, Arthur Bach said:

Rhodes was awful yesterday.

As he has been over the last few times he has been asked to make an impact.

Agree, I'd start Joao with Hooper and give Fletch a rest.

Rhodes hasn't had a run though has he, some players need consistency and regular football as well as feeling valued for their confidence, I think Rhodes is one of those players.

There is absolutely no doubting the quality he has and given a long run in a team playing to his strengths he would very likely be our best striker (and imagine having Rhodes and Hooper in top form).

3 minutes ago, Arthur Bach said:

Thats a very simplistic approach to the situation, you're basically attributing any aspect of the squad back to the coach which is true whether we're doing well or doing bad.

Every coach has the right to approach the game with his own ethos. We can't adjust our entire way of play to suit one player.

This is true. However, why did we buy Rhodes if this was going to be the case, particularly considering CC very rarely changes his approach to games.

No one; the manager, chairman, Rhodes or the fans are benefiting from the current situation. 

I'm no more happy with the situation and by extention CC than most other people.

But I refuse to broadly say it's ALL his fault in that it blindly leaves us to dis-regard other avenues.

This is a thread about Rhodes - he has had starts and numerous sub appearances, it hasn't worked.

Sometimes it doesn't work, whether they are on a free or you pay £10m sometimes it just doesn't work for either party.

Just now, Animis said:

This is true. However, why did we buy Rhodes if this was going to be the case, particularly considering CC very rarely changes his approach to games.

No one; the manager, chairman, Rhodes or the fans are benefiting from the current situation. 

Like i said earlier, issues at the club aside, it was a pointless transfer for ALL parties.

31 minutes ago, S61 Owl said:

It’s fine people saying Rhodes has failed to shine so far but he’s hardly had a decent run of games - especially this season. How can he get up to speed when he’s only getting 15mins here or there in games that we are chasing and everything is hoofed up to him.

Give him a run of 4:5 games with Hooper, put decent balls on a plate for him and we’ll begin to see his potential 

I'd love to get a video montage done of all his ridiculous misses this season just to be able to pull it out every time someone talks about his potential/ he'll thrive on crosses/ service etc. 

He's gone, damaged goods, confidence shot.  Would love to see Butterfield, Joao and Matias start on Tues but can't see it.  Just something different on the right hand side instead of Wallace.

1 minute ago, Arthur Bach said:

Well who else is responsible? Chairman, fans - who selects and sets up the team the team?  Buck stops with the manager and coaching staff.

I agree each coach has the right to approach the game in his own ethos but no evey approach works.

The current one isn’t so why persist?

It’s easy to criticise Rhodes.  But it’s been said time and time again he can’t score if we don’t pass the ball to him 

Final 3 or 4 minutes yesterday. Box packed. Bannan and Hunt foooking about with the ball on the corner of their area whilst 25000 fans to a man shouting “foooking cross it”. 

That’s neither Rhodes’ nor Carlos’ fault. 

Edited by Vaughan

57 minutes ago, Bouncing Owl said:

What has Rhodes done to warrant a start?

When he comes on he looks like he's never played before. I know he's had a good scoring record in the championship but he's been absolutely awful for us. He's had chances and he's missed chance after chance but I'm more worried about his all round game which is very poor.

For the sake of the poor lad and for his career, it is better we move him on in January. 

I'd give Joao a game as we are lacking pace in our team and it will give the opposition something to think about.

As much as I dont like Joao, I agree, he should be given a few games to give us the pace so sadly lacking in the team, but kickaball seems afraid to play youth and pace.

8 minutes ago, adelphi1867 said:

As much as I dont like Joao, I agree, he should be given a few games to give us the pace so sadly lacking in the team, but kickaball seems afraid to play youth and pace.

Joao could be a very good footballer. He has all the raw attributes to make it in the current game. However, his mental approach does concern me. He is 23/24 now and he needs to make it quick.

I believe a better coach / manager would have developed him and he would be a better player now. In his first season, he was brilliant in some games. As a club, we have panicked into buying strikers with the intention of getting promoted. As a consequence, Joao has hardly had a look in which is criminal with the ability he possesses. You don't have a Portuguese national cap, if you don't possess talent and ability. 

Edited by Bouncing Owl

1 hour ago, fife_owl said:

Joao is a good call.  On form alone, he should be ahead of Rhodes and has pace too.

But Rhodes is that player that scored more than fifty goals in two seasons at this level.  Surely you've got to try and get that player back.

How long do we flog a dead horse. I agree with the sentiment, just feel he's never going to be anywhere near what he was in his prime.

Even in his prime, he didn't get offers from the prem. It will rank as the worse signing we ever made.

Edited by Sergeant Tibbs

1 hour ago, fife_owl said:

It's a bit depressing on here - so I thought I'd start an old fashioned thread about the team.

I think the last few games have blown the idea that Fletcher and Hooper work as a partnership.  Good friends - yes; potent strike force - no. Fletcher has never been prolific as a goal scorer so must earn his place laying on goals for others and there hasn't been enough of those.

Rhodes has been prolific at this level, he's also worked on his game as contributor.  For me, he should get a run in the side starting on Tuesday and let's see how he does.

Absolutely this for me rhodes needs time and on there day rhodes and hooper are the best strike force in the league. He is getting closer and although we want two or three a game I just think if he just gets that goal they will come. He needs game time he needs his chance....10 mins here or there are nothing....I would also give jao a chance and replace Wallace.

1 hour ago, Owl_80 said:

Bring in a new manager, for me right at this time it would be Megson and then give Rhodes a good run in the team, if it works we keep him and everyone is happy again, if it doesn't unload him to anybody that will have him for half the fee we paid and just get rid.

You don't change a manager just to suit a particular player, and your suggestion of Megson kind of shows how little you have thought this through.

Rhodes was a horrendous signing, we didn't need him and his fee and wages have obviously caused unrest

At the time, I seriously couldn't believe our fans were wetting themselves over us signing a 7th striker for £8 million .