Time For Rhodes

It's a bit depressing on here - so I thought I'd start an old fashioned thread about the team.

I think the last few games have blown the idea that Fletcher and Hooper work as a partnership.  Good friends - yes; potent strike force - no. Fletcher has never been prolific as a goal scorer so must earn his place laying on goals for others and there hasn't been enough of those.

Rhodes has been prolific at this level, he's also worked on his game as contributor.  For me, he should get a run in the side starting on Tuesday and let's see how he does.

Edited by fife_owl
Grammer
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Ronnie Starling said:

It needs freshening up. Fletcher has had opportunities in recent games and hasnt taken them. Rhodes or Joao deserve an opportunity to start. I would like to see Butterfield start for a change as Bannan and Lee in the middle isnt and doesnt work.

Fletcher was fantastic in the first half yesterday but had clearly run out of steam.

Despite everything, the two up front are the best pairing we have had in a while - nothing bad at all to say about Hooper and Fletcher. They are our engine room at the minute.

What has Rhodes done to warrant a start?

When he comes on he looks like he's never played before. I know he's had a good scoring record in the championship but he's been absolutely awful for us. He's had chances and he's missed chance after chance but I'm more worried about his all round game which is very poor.

For the sake of the poor lad and for his career, it is better we move him on in January. 

I'd give Joao a game as we are lacking pace in our team and it will give the opposition something to think about.

Rhodes never wanted to come, we dodn't need him and his record 18 months prior to his arrival was suspect.

He enever really recovered from being only a tourist to Middlesborough's return to the Premier League.

The worst move he could have made was a high pressure, high transfer fee aquisition to a club battling for promotion.

He needs to strategically choose a club who will help re-build his career because he his helping neither himself or SWFC with his absent-minded and sluggish performances.

• Like 1

Joao is a good call.  On form alone, he should be ahead of Rhodes and has pace too.

But Rhodes is that player that scored more than fifty goals in two seasons at this level.  Surely you've got to try and get that player back.

Edited by fife_owl
Grammar

It’s fine people saying Rhodes has failed to shine so far but he’s hardly had a decent run of games - especially this season. How can he get up to speed when he’s only getting 15mins here or there in games that we are chasing and everything is hoofed up to him.

Give him a run of 4:5 games with Hooper, put decent balls on a plate for him and we’ll begin to see his potential 

Just now, Lord Snooty said:

Why did he come then?

It was a perfect storm of fuckwittery in my opinion.

The fans wanted him, DC wanted to wave his wanger at the fee paid out and Rhodes was determined to leave behind his 'Boro nightmare.

All three reasons by all three parties were motivated all wrong.

The fans ended up with something they already had, DC is down millions (twice what JR is prob worth) and Rhodes is now a year further behind on his career.

We had Winnall for a few hundred thousand which was PERFECT.

7 minutes ago, Arthur Bach said:

Rhodes never wanted to come, we dodn't need him and his record 18 months prior to his arrival was suspect.

He enever really recovered from being only a tourist to Middlesborough's return to the Premier League.

The worst move he could have made was a high pressure, high transfer fee aquisition to a club battling for promotion.

He needs to strategically choose a club who will help re-build his career because he his helping neither himself or SWFC with his absent-minded and sluggish performances.

I agree with all that apart from the first line - he definitely wanted to come and when interviewed he was absolutely over the moon.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, S61 Owl said:

It’s fine people saying Rhodes has failed to shine so far but he’s hardly had a decent run of games - especially this season. How can he get up to speed when he’s only getting 15mins here or there in games that we are chasing and everything is hoofed up to him.

Give him a run of 4:5 games with Hooper, put decent balls on a plate for him and we’ll begin to see his potential 

I think any player deserves a chance and I do like and respect JR as a player.

But when he arrived he knew that FF, Winnall, Hooper and Fletcher were already here.

Like I said in my other post, I think if he had slept on it he would have realised it was the wrong move.

I never thought we should go for Rhodes. The wrong fit.

However now we have him it's up to us to use him In  the right way or to move him on. 

One thing he will never be is an impact substitute. 

If he's going to be involved in the match day squad at all then it should be as a starter. Otherwise it's a waste of everyone's time.

Edited by Lord Snooty
Typo

Just now, IlkestonOwl said:

Rhodes will score but not with the style of play we have continued to pursue. Give him to someone like derby or Fulham with dare I say it PACE on the wings with ABILITY to cross.its not Rhodes it's the idiot managing him

Agree with you there I think Rhodes needs to play for a manager who shows him “love” and support.  And who plays a system that creates chances for him to score from

I bet if he went to Burnley (even when they were still in the championship), he would have been a much better player than we are seeing