Carlos Out...?

3 minutes ago, OneDavidHirst said:

Carlos will not get us promoted to the Premier League.

You say that as if there's a long list of managers who could come in and instantly take us to the top of the league!

The Championship is a bloody difficult league to get out of - the odds are stacked against any manager getting their club into the Premier League. The only shoe-ins for promotion I can remember in the past half decade or so were Newcastle United, and they spent eye-watering amounts building that squad.

Carlos might get us to the Premier League; he might not. The odds are that he, or any hypothetical replacement, probably won't, if we're being honest.

2 hours ago, Big Ron's Sovereign said:

So you'd have sacked him the other week but you'd now keep him on?  I'm glad DC is in charge and not some posters on here.

For the last 20yrs we've sacked managers and hired some sh!te. Just looking at the quality of managers over that time tells you we've got a good one now. We will lose games now and again but the fact is we have to stand by the manager because chopping and changing does not work.

During my long support of the Owls, the only managers that I can recall never suffering the 'fans' demands for their heads were:-

Eric Taylor (albeit he would have had to sack himself, being the club secretary as well as manager)

Harry Catterick

Vic Buckingham

Alan Brown

Jack Charlton

Ron Atkinson

Gary Megson

Not many really when you consider how many manager's we've had during the 60 odd years quoted.

Edited by optimisticowl

14 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

The Championship is a bloody difficult league to get out of - the odds are stacked against any manager getting their club into the Premier League. 

That's one reason why, when you've got the opportunity, you need to make the most of it. Credit to Carlos for getting us to two play off campaigns in a row, but having got there we didn't exactly rise to the occasion. Last season in particular was a huge disappointment - I really think we had a golden opportunity to get promoted via the play offs, but we just tried to shut up shop and paid the price.

6 hours ago, casbahowl said:

Owlstalk has spoken !

The single most cringe worthy thread in OT history!

I'm assuming you are not including RocketOwl and Eastleigh Owl's threads? in this 

Edited by Almat

2 minutes ago, Muffinman said:

Infinite monkey theory...more like infinite testicles theory. All that pseudo scientific nonsense just to say you don't like CC. If you want to believe your team of infinite monkeys could  beat Barcelona dream on. Nothing CC does is any good for you. All down to chimpanzee theory any good results and if things go badly blame it on the monkeys in the oppositions team too, 

It was the best of times, it was the blurst of times...

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Muffinman said:

Infinite monkey theory...more like infinite testicles theory. All that pseudo scientific nonsense just to say you don't like CC. If you want to believe your team of infinite monkeys could  beat Barcelona dream on. Nothing CC does is any good for you. All down to chimpanzee theory any good results and if things go badly blame it on the monkeys in the oppositions team too, 

I agree, if we go up it will be down to the monkey in charge lol

22 minutes ago, Roy Of The Roasters said:

That's one reason why, when you've got the opportunity, you need to make the most of it. Credit to Carlos for getting us to two play off campaigns in a row, but having got there we didn't exactly rise to the occasion. Last season in particular was a huge disappointment - I really think we had a golden opportunity to get promoted via the play offs, but we just tried to shut up shop and paid the price.

In the first playoff campaign, I think we achieved about as much as could be expected: beating Brighton over two legs was no mean feat, and if Hull turned up on the day, they were always likely to beat us. Unfortunately for us, they were simply the better team on the day.

As for last season, yes, it was frustrating, but these things can happen. I'd have liked to see us go for it a bit more in the away leg, but many on here saw it as a great away performance at the time. In hindsight, that was probably the main opportunity we missed, as we inevitably started to fizzle out at Hillsborough once we'd lost both Wallace and Fletcher to injury.

If Carlos can guide us to another playoff campaign, hopefully it will be third time lucky, eh?

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

If Carlos can guide us to another playoff campaign, hopefully it will be third time lucky, eh?

I think you make your own luck sometimes. Despite my scepticism, if Carlos can get us to another play-off campaign then I'd support him carrying on regardless of the outcome.

I don't want him sacked.

Just want him to do what he is paid for and that is to win football maetches.

Did that yesterday and I'm pleased about that but we need to be getting in among the top 6 quickly if we are serious about getting in the PL.

Everyone who praises or criticizes wants the same thing at heart - we just disagree on the margins for error.