Liam Palmer

2 minutes ago, Hack-Abusi said:

I think many central midfielders that are shoe horned in to the right back position would struggle, and struggle more when not given regular game time ..

imagine Davey Jones or Abdi there!

It's a reasonable point & it's to Liams credit that he's managed to adapt. However had he not made the transition to right back I very much doubt he'd still be at the club & he'd be playing his football at a lower level.

If he struggles for game time with only Hunt to compete with he wouldn't even be making the bench if he was competing with Bannan, Lee, Wallace, Hutchinson, Jones, Abdi, Reach & Butterfield.

26 minutes ago, lanzaroteowl said:

Nowt wrong with the kid

Better footballer than anyone on here

And probably earning ten times as much as most

Good luck to him I say

Not really a relevant argument though is it?  As a professional footballer, you'd expect him to be better than anyone on here and as such earn accordingly.  No offence to anyone of Owlstalk but we're not exactly a great yard stick for measuring a professionals footballers ability or earning capacity.

I'm with you in that good luck to him but I don't feel he really has a long term future here.

Edited by Junglejay

6 minutes ago, mogbad said:

It's a reasonable point & it's to Liams credit that he's managed to adapt. However had he not made the transition to right back I very much doubt he'd still be at the club & he'd be playing his football at a lower level.

If he struggles for game time with only Hunt to compete with he wouldn't even be making the bench if he was competing with Bannan, Lee, Wallace, Hutchinson, Jones, Abdi, Reach & Butterfield.

on that note, i do appreciate the situation that Palmer is in, and as you say, if he retained his place in CM he'd probably be playing for a team in League One or Two

13 minutes ago, Ash77 said:

Talented youngster come waster of talent due to lack of heart, guts and positive attitude which likely impaired his development.

Joao could go the same way but has more talent to burn as yet so could still kick on imo

lack of heart, guts and positive attitude?!

50 minutes ago, Lee Strafford said:

Liam is a great kid with a fantastic attitude, great engine, strong in the tackle and a good football brain. He is s box2box centre midfielder and it's a testament to his talent that he has been able to fill in so well at right back.....

Its encouraging that you're so positive on Liam. I didn't know he was a natural CM and that being the case I find it more disappointing that he isn't more comfortable on the ball. The modern game seems to place great demands on full backs to be both natural defenders and equally strong as wingers. Personally I don't feel that LM is that confident going forwards with the ball at his feet.  It just doesn't seem to come naturally to him when on the ball and as a consequence that extra time taken dwelling on the ball is a killer at this level. 

All about opinions though and we can all agree that a complete full back is a very expensive commodity.

1 hour ago, Junglejay said:

Not really a relevant argument though is it?  As a professional footballer, you'd expect him to be better than anyone on here and as such earn accordingly.  No offence to anyone of Owlstalk but we're not exactly a great yard stick for measuring a professionals footballers ability or earning capacity.

I'm with you in that good luck to him but I don't feel he really has a long term future here.

Just get fed up of threads that are just there to knock current Wednesday players

Doesn't get enough games to really be judged that thoroughly. My view is that we need an improvement on Hunt which would probably then put Palmer further down the pecking order. He'd do well getting regular games at a team like Millwall, Bolton or Burton .

Edited by MuddyFunkster