How do you rate the squad now?

our biggest problem is how we play, we have a negative style of playing so it's understandable that some fans respond in a negative way if we don't achieve what they hope for  ....if we went out all guns blazing and finished 4th I doubt carlos would attract much criticism but he chooses to go a different way and boy does he cop some for doing so ....

39 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

I'm sure some managers would, and some managers wouldn't. Equally, I'm sure some managers would have guided us into the playoff places as Carlos did, and some managers wouldn't.

It's all hypothetical of course, but to suggest that every other manager would be doing a better job than Carlos is pessimistic beyond belief, and just isn't borne out by the fact that whereas Carlos has probably overachieved and then achieved par for the course in his first two seasons in English football, there are countless managers who have underachieved and paid the price for it up and down the country.

I don't think anybody is suggesting that every other manager in existence would have gone one better than Carlos. I just think people believe there are managers out there who could have done 

Mcmanaman to Sunderland. It will be interesting to see whether Grayson can use him effectively and get the best out of him as he has done with McGeady. If he does it will  vindicate the criticism Carlos has been getting re his man-management skills (or lack of them). The same can be said of McGugan who TBF has had problems wherever he's been other than when being on loan for us in the first instance when SG was in charge. 

I'll reserve judgement on the new centre halves but other than that it's hard to see how the squad has improved at all. Boyd maybe a marginal upgrade on Wallace but essentially the same player. Butterfield is a poor mans bannan and when lee and hutch fit butterfield unlikely to even make the bench. Winnalls departure now probably guarantees nuhiu a bench spot the vast majority of games so just for that it's a v poor decision. Still not a decent full back at the club, as others have stated we still haven't addressed most of the failings from Wembley i.e power and pace. You only improve the team/squad by buying better players than are already in the first team.THE biggest issue is clueless carlos and until he goes we won't progress in my opinion. If he's here much beyond mid October this will be another wasted season. I don't buy this theory that he's keeping money back to freshen the team up in January. If your house needs maintenance doing now and you can afford it now you don't say "well I won't do it now, I'll see if it needs doing in 4 months" it already needs doing now ffs!!!!!!

4 hours ago, Athelwulf said:

Carlos says that pace for pace's sake isn't the same as pace with the ball. Players who can do the latter aren't at this level for long.

Exactly. Pace with little or no end product is lunacy. True defences don't like to turn and chase players with genuine speed - but IMHO they hate even more pin point crosses be they delivered by full backs, midfielders or wingers.

5 hours ago, Athelwulf said:

Carlos says that pace for pace's sake isn't the same as pace with the ball. Players who can do the latter aren't at this level for long.

Carlos also says pass it all the way back to Lees and then lump it 50 yards into touch. 

Seen a couple of comments about how our midfield is class... I think a few people are fooling themselves on that one

Defence is the sort you'd see in a top 6 side

Attack is the sort you'd see in a top 6 side

Midfield? It doesn't scream top 6 to me... looks like the sort that might come out for a side that finishes 10th. And that isn't necessarily down to individuals... more what they offer (or that they all offer essentially the same thing). Apart from Matias, and let's be honest here, he doesn't have this in spades anyway... there's no pace in that midfield either centrally or out wide. There's also that chronic lack of physicality we've often chatted about, although with players like Hutch and Jones it's more the lacking of a big bruiser rather than an issue of a midfield of actual midgets.

The only way we'll finish in the top 5 is by trying to overload teams in the midfield to maximise its strengths... ie nipping around with quick passing. That midfield will not work in a 4-4-2 IMO due to lack of physicality centrally and pace out wide... so in that sense we're exactly where we were before the window started. IMO, our weak link is our midfield, so we need to assume a style that will accommodate that weakness. We'll see eh!