How do you rate the squad now?

GK - Westwood, Wildsmith, Dawson

DF - Hunt, Palmer, Lees, Loovens, Vennacio, Van Aken, Pudil, Fox

MF - Hutchinson, Jones, Bannan, Lee, Abdi, Butterfield, Wallace, Boyd, Reach, Matias 

FW - Hooper, Fletcher, Rhodes, Forestieri, Nuhiu, Joao, Hirst 

Is it a top 2 squad? Top 6?

Would you have taken that as a squad at the start of the season when we only had 2 centre backs and were playing Pudil at CB?

what rating out of 10?

We're a top 5 squad, no doubt; and I can see us breaking top 2.

Best keeper in the Championship, the best attackers in the Championship, a very strong midfield and a much improved defence.

If we had a better fullbacks I'd say we had one of the outright strongest teams in the league.

I'm really looking forward to the next run of games.

Edited by Indoor Owl

2 minutes ago, StarmanNWC said:

MF - Hutchinson, Jones, Bannan, Lee, Abdi, Butterfield, Wallace, Boyd, Reach, Matias 

Would you have taken that as a squad at the start of the season when we only had 2 centre backs and were playing Pudil at CB?

what rating out of 10?

The squad isn't and never has been the problem.

The problem is the manager and his negative tactics.

Gap s at full back and we havnt filled the specific gap in centre mid.

no idea how's good the centre backs are  

No pace going forward 

too many 12/13 goal a season men up front. 

Have tou seen the the players club so like Sunderland, hull and Leeds have signed?

On the other hand if we could get the most out of Rhodes and FF then it might change things. 

10 minutes ago, Indoor Owl said:

We're a top 5 squad, no doubt; and I can see us breaking top 2.

Best keeper in the Championship, the best attackers in the Championship, a very strong midfield and a much improved defence.

If we had a better fullbacks I'd say we had one of the outright strongest teams in the league.

I'm really looking forward to the next run of games.

All that's missing is the manager to take us to the top 2.

10 minutes ago, Blue and white said:

All that's missing is the manager to take us to the top 2.

Not on board with that either, to be honest!

It's a defense first approach with CC, sure; and while not the most exciting to watch with personnel that can't quite fit into the system, it'll be well suited to keep us in the PL when we go up this year.

I think we've added the right man at the back in Van Aken to finally get some urgency in our build up:

Building from the back and retaining possession isn't sexy football, but it controls the flow of the game.  Our problem has been the mind numbing slowness coming out of the back, with no intent (or ability) to get the ball into attack.  By the time we finally decide we're ready to go forward, the opposition is already settled in and found their shape to defend, and we just bang our heads against the proverbial wall.

Our new centre backs should mean some greater ability on the ball, and the ability to get the ball moved into attack much faster and more accurately, instead of it being every ball forward from defense means the strikers having to battle it out for the ball.  It also means our fullbacks can have some freedom to range forward and overlap.

I think this has been a really positive window.  If we can stay healthy (and even then, I think we have enough depth in the squad now) we're in fantastic shape in my opinion.

Edited by Indoor Owl

7 minutes ago, Indoor Owl said:

It's a defense first approach with CC, sure; and while not the most exciting to watch with personnel that can't quite fit into the system, it'll be well suited to keep us in the PL when we go up this year.

I think we've added the right man at the back in Van Aken to finally get some urgency in our build up:

Building from the back and retaining possession isn't sexy football, but it controls the flow of the game.  Our problem has been the mind numbing slowness coming out of the back, with no intent (or ability) to get the ball into attack.  By the time we finally decide we're ready to go forward, the opposition is already settled in and found their shape to defend, and we just bang our heads against the proverbial wall.

Our new centre backs should mean some greater ability on the ball, and the ability to get the ball moved into attack much faster and more accurately, instead of it being every ball forward from defense means the strikers having to battle it out for the ball.  It also means our fullbacks can have some freedom to range forward and overlap.

I think this has been a really positive window.  If we can stay healthy (and even then, I think we have enough depth in the squad now) we're in fantastic shape in my opinion.

You think our full backs are good enough? we dont have an obvious gap in midfield? we have enough pace in attack? or that we don't face to i many strikers that will get 12/13 instead f 20+?

have you seen anything other than highlights of these defenders or are you saying that in theory their increased ability should enable us to get the ball through the lines quicker? I feel just in theory then I ask you why we didn't go get a proven champ player in dean for half the money of the Dutch guy.

Edited by Fibonacci91

Teams nowhere near good enough for top 2. Let's be realistic there are plenty of other teams with a stronger squad than us. I honestly believe we won't even be around the playoffs if he's still in charge come Christmas

A team that lacks any real pace is my concern. We saw against Burton how just a little bit of pace causes defenses problems. We still must be the slowest squad in the league. 

Westwood is one of the best. 

No idea about the two new CB, both could be great, both could be crap. I would have preferred a proven Championship CB who could go straight in and the full backs still aren't the best overall. 

The midfield is an area that could be improved. We still haven't addressed the issues from the 15/16 season that were glaringly obvious against Hull, and still no pace on the wings. 

We probably have the best strike force in the league. 

It is a top 6 side again for me. 3 / 4 additions away from a top 2 side. 

1 minute ago, Fibonacci91 said:

You think our full backs are good enough? we dont have an obvious gap in midfield? we have enough pace in attack? or that we don't face to i many strikers that will get 12/13 instead f 20+?

have you seen anything other than highlights of these defenders or are you saying that in theory their increased ability should enable us to get the ball through the lines quicker? I feel just in theory then I ask you why we didn't go get a proven champ player in dean for half the money of the Dutch guy.

Nope, but I think our fullbacks are adequate.  I would have really liked a left back, but at the same time I can't think of any available.

I don't think we have any kind of serious gap in midfield, much less an obvious one.  Bannan and Kieran Lee are both studs.  Jones looks good out there and if we can get Hutch healthy for more than two weeks at a time, he does good work out there.  Abdi should be able to fill in when necessary in a more attacking role.  Reach, Wallace and Boyd are quality on the wings.

And I think we have plenty of pace on attack, we just need to get the ball to our attacker's get, instead of having them gave to fight for possession first and then try and attack once, and if, they've managed to win the ball after it was aimlessly hoofed forward.

You've got a fair point on highlights only (it's also their increased ability), but when it comes down to it, I'm not concerned:

I don't want a proven Championship defender that's still only looks to be worth £2 mil even with the rapid inflation of transfer fees - I want a  former Dutch U21 international and starter in the Eredivisie that Lazio was eyeballing that can with the pace and physicality to also carry forward and play in the Prem.  I also want a European youth development pedigree because at least you can be assured that the players have grown with some solid ability on the ball, instead of it being a rarity or luxury.

One thing I know for sure is that we had a squad good enough to be top 5 last year, and we've just improved on the weakest part of the team.  

6 minutes ago, Indoor Owl said:

Nope, but I think our fullbacks are adequate.  I would have really liked a left back, but at the same time I can't think of any available.

I don't think we have any kind of serious gap in midfield, much less an obvious one.  Bannan and Kieran Lee are both studs.  Jones looks good out there and if we can get Hutch healthy for more than two weeks at a time, he does good work out there.  Abdi should be able to fill in when necessary in a more attacking role.  Reach, Wallace and Boyd are quality on the wings.

And I think we have plenty of pace on attack, we just need to get the ball to our attacker's get, instead of having them gave to fight for possession first and then try and attack once, and if, they've managed to win the ball after it was aimlessly hoofed forward.

You've got a fair point on highlights only (it's also their increased ability), but when it comes down to it, I'm not concerned:

I don't want a proven Championship defender that's still only looks to be worth £2 mil even with the rapid inflation of transfer fees - I want a  former Dutch U21 international and starter in the Eredivisie that Lazio was eyeballing that can with the pace and physicality to also carry forward and play in the Prem.  I also want a European youth development pedigree because at least you can be assured that the players have grown with some solid ability on the ball, instead of it being a rarity or luxury.

One thing I know for sure is that we had a squad good enough to be top 5 last year, and we've just improved on the weakest part of the team.  

Fair point ablut the CB but looking at what hull brum Leeds Sunderland and others, relatively speaking and compared to those guys, I'm nt sure we have strengthen enough. 

For me full backs arnt good enough for top 6.

no real pace going forward I rate wallace the highest out of the wingers and I do love the guy but he is limited to a degree.

for me there is a gap in midfield If hutch isn't going to be fit.

8th for me but if FF and Rhodes come good, Hutch stays fit, and the CB does prove too draw, then it obviously changes the perspective on things

Edited by Fibonacci91

5 minutes ago, Fibonacci91 said:

Fair point ablut the CB but looking at what hull brum Leeds Sunderland and others, relatively speaking and compared to those guys, I'm nt sure we have strengthen enough. 

no real pace going forward I rate wallace the highest out of the wingers and I do love the guy but he is limited to a degree.

8th for me but if FF and Rhodes come good, Hutch stays fit, and the CB does prove too draw, then it obviously changes the perspective on things

Don't disagree with the lack of pace to a degree, but I'm not as hung up on it - we're not a turn and burn squad relying on pace, we're a more possession based team.  Not that I worship at the altar of possession either, need some balance of both, but I'm quite convinced that if we can match our defensive style with the ability to actually get the f**king ball to the feet of the very talented group of strikers we have, we'll do just fine.  Rhodes in particular. 

1 hour ago, Indoor Owl said:

Your logic, wisdom and intellect are wasted here! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Best squad we've had since the premiership. Anyone who is unhappy with the squad either a fairly new fan or has a short memory. 

Could we improve? Every club could. Am I happy with it, I've never seen us have such strength in depth - even when in the top flight. 

We've and overhauled a torrid squad in 3 years. Where the second 11 now is arguably stronger than the previous first 11.

A ball playing, mobile, tall defender being missing link and hopefully empowers all around him to do their jobs instead of covering others. 

2 hours ago, StarmanNWC said:

what rating out of 10?

Depends which manager is picking the team and tactics.

Carlos - 4/10

Anyone Else - 8/10

2 hours ago, Fibonacci91 said:

But what Leeds have done is on the back of the sale of Wood. That's a very big loss for them. Hull and Sunderland are parachute

Edited by Athelwulf