OFFICIAL Sheffield Wednesday V Sunderland Match Day Thread

9 minutes ago, SiJ said:

Just got back...

First half wasn't great. We looked nervous and the diamond or whatever we were trying to do in midfield wasn't really working. The two big lumps at the back for Sunderland were largely bossing things and we didn't create a great amount. Crossing was poor and the standard of our corners was really poor. In saying that when you concede a goal within 3 minutes (and like that) it's bound to rock a team who are struggling for confidence. Sunderland probably should have got a second, but they didn't and we came more into it as the half progressed, without really creating a great deal. 

Second half so much better. Abdi (who is a passenger too often in league matches) goes off and Fletcher comes on. We went to a 4-3-3 again and we improved greatly. Bannan was excellent, Reach was unbelievably good bombing down the left wign and I thought Fletcher made a huge difference acting as a battering ram and an outlet. Needless to say we scored an early candidate for goal of the season (for us) and we really should have got the winner. Hooper hit the bar, Rhodes put it just over and somehow Sunderland managed to clear it after a goal line scramble.  

All in all a frustrating night but with some positives. 

We really need to up our game in the first half though. Too often we just don't turn up and make it easy for the opposition. All the more bewildering when we can completely boss it in the second. 

Pretty much sums it all up pal

Apart from a brilliant and unexpected goal, I though Jones was poor.  Many many misplaced passes and so often the wrong side of an opponent.  Back four did well generally apart from the goal we conceded, for which we seemed to be in utter confusion.  Bannan back to his best and Reach had a particularly good second half.  Abdi good in flashes but inconsistent in the first half. Hooper looks very sharp and was very unlucky to hit the bar with their keeper well beaten.  Fletcher added something when he came on though I thought Winnall did well to apart from a couple of bad passes.

All in all a few positives on a night which I feared could have been much worse looking at the two line-ups before kick-off.

Onwards and upwards - especially if the new centre half is any good!

After the first 5 minutes I thought it was going to be a long night! But after that, they didn't really threaten us. Odd cross here and there but I never felt they would score again.

Even if we lost, I would have been happy. So many positives to take from the game. We battled, created chances, played some good football at times, but our luck just wasn't there!

Wallace and Jones are only my negatives. Waste of space! Was it good finish or bad keeping, though?

Similar team for the next game Carlos!

24 minutes ago, SiJ said:

Just got back...

First half wasn't great. We looked nervous and the diamond or whatever we were trying to do in midfield wasn't really working. The two big lumps at the back for Sunderland were largely bossing things and we didn't create a great amount. Crossing was poor and the standard of our corners was really poor. In saying that when you concede a goal within 3 minutes (and like that) it's bound to rock a team who are struggling for confidence. Sunderland probably should have got a second, but they didn't and we came more into it as the half progressed, without really creating a great deal. 

Second half so much better. Abdi (who is a passenger too often in league matches) goes off and Fletcher comes on. We went to a 4-3-3 again and we improved greatly. Bannan was excellent, Reach was unbelievably good bombing down the left wign and I thought Fletcher made a huge difference acting as a battering ram and an outlet. Needless to say we scored an early candidate for goal of the season (for us) and we really should have got the winner. Hooper hit the bar, Rhodes put it just over and somehow Sunderland managed to clear it after a goal line scramble.  

We really need to up our game in the first half though. Too often we just don't turn up and make it easy for the opposition. All the more bewildering when we can completely boss it in the second. 

Cant add much to that. Great summary.

Thought we were much better when Fletch came on for Winnall. Rhodes looked hugely hungry too.

Bodes well.

Player ratings 

Westwood - 5 - what was he doing. Kicking terrible as per

Hunt 6 - worked hard... seemed injured but go forward well. Was skinned a few times by mcgeady 

Lee's - 6 solid, passing poor at times

Pudil - 6 solid - drifted left a few times but that's to be expected. Did well covering. 

Reach- 7 - ( effort 10) this Lad worked his socks off for the team and coveted the whole left flank. Got forward really well however his quality of delivery really let him down. Fantastic engine though

Wallace - 5 - some good parts some bad parts, delivery poor from set pieces. Boyd should start against Fulham 

Bannan 9 MOM - class act again  everything we did went through him. Ran the show. 

Abdi - 4 - totally anonymous. Offered little 

Jones - 6 -  mr reliable, mr consistent, did his job, nothing special except that wonder strike! Lost theball more than I'd like. 

Winnall - 4 - offered little didn't get in any goal scoring position and fluffed the one chance he did get. Better impact player. 

Hooper - 8 - always lively always looking to make something happen. Brilliant skills when he hit the bar. Unlucky not to score. 

Subs 

Fletcher- 5 - tried but just didn't work for him tonight. Didn't win a header and his 1st touch was off. 

Rhodes- 7 - desperately needs a goal. Should have hit target but got in a position  to score with in about 5 mins. Winnall didn't get in one all game. Rhodes has to start over winnall got me. 

Palmer - 3 - lost ball right and end when we could have put a cross in. Everything he did do was either poor or the wrong choice. 

Carlos - 5 - got it wrong tactically again. Attacked down the left when he Should have tried to exploit the right. Mcgeady doesn't defend so left that side exposed. Waited too late to make changes as always. 

Game crying out for a moment of quality.... Fernando anyone 

Westwood - 4 - worst game for us

Hunt - 7

Lees - 5 Ok defensively but distribution was dire

Pudil - 7 best of th centre backs and brought it out well and positively

Reach - 9 best game for us

Wallace - 5 worst game for a long time

Bannan - 8

Jones -5 and the goal got him 4 of those

Abdi - 5 never really involved

Winnal - 7

Hooper - 8 linked everything in their half

Fletcher - 7 should always start

Rhodes - 6

37 minutes ago, SiJ said:

Just got back...

yep, a good accurate summary

1 hour ago, Philb125 said:

Think everyone switched off whilst Hunt was getting treatment. Even Hunt seemed in no rush to flag himself on and get back in the game and next thing you're one nil down. 

Wasnt sure if Sunderland played within themselves after that, but we were better team for majority. At times though over committing and Winall should have done better in first half. 

Second half saw plenty more chances and Rhodes header leaning away won't help his confidence or our goal talley. 

Thought Jones did well before his goal, nothing spectacular but we more than held our own in middle. With Abdi and Bannan advanced. Took the goal very well and wish a few more could finish as well. 

Reach and Hooper played fantastic. Hooper unlucky to hit bar after settling by it up well, Reach's best game for us. So much energy! Plenty of crosses and a few that deserved better from his forwards. 

Reach MOM for me, closely followed by Hooper. 

Honorable mention for Pudil - despite goal where everyone switched off he didn't appear a weak link and held his own.  

We'll play much worse and win! 

spot on

52 minutes ago, SiJ said:

Just got back...

Pretty much as you say. The thing I would add it was very reminiscent of last season, we are slow in starting games , very often go behind which kick starts us and we come out the second half a completely different side. Why can't we start games like we finish them?

24 minutes ago, Kevan said:

Apart from a brilliant and unexpected goal, I though Jones was poor.  Many many misplaced passes and so often the wrong side of an opponent.  Back four did well generally apart from the goal we conceded, for which we seemed to be in utter confusion.  Bannan back to his best and Reach had a particularly good second half.  Abdi good in flashes but inconsistent in the first half. Hooper looks very sharp and was very unlucky to hit the bar with their keeper well beaten.  Fletcher added something when he came on though I thought Winnall did well to apart from a couple of bad passes.

All in all a few positives on a night which I feared could have been much worse looking at the two line-ups before kick-off.

Onwards and upwards - especially if the new centre half is any good!

I thought jones played a decent game ..he broke up the play when sunderland had possesion on numerous occasions .sure he played some misplaced passes but so did bannan and he was the best player on the pitch ......a lot don't like jones and if he does a misplaced pass or a missed tackle people seem to jump on his back but I think he does a lot of the dirty work very well ....pudil 2 or 3 times ventured forward in open play from centre back and every time he did it was jones who hung back and covered for him , no glamour in that but the defensive side is what he does best ......and fair play to him coz he must have an inkling that some of the crowd don't like him but it didn't stop him having the bottle to take  on that shot knowing that if he skied into the kop the moaners would have had a field day ....he's a good pro and asset to the squad 

13 minutes ago, Kenners3896 said:

Player ratings 

Hunt 6 - worked hard... seemed injured but go forward well. Was skinned a few times by mcgeady 

Pudil - 6 solid - drifted left a few times but that's to be expected. Did well covering. 

Reach- 7 - ( effort 10) this Lad worked his socks off for the team and coveted the whole left flank. Got forward really well however his quality of delivery really let him down. Fantastic engine though

Wallace - 5 - some good parts some bad parts, delivery poor from set pieces. Boyd should start against Fulham 

Bannan 9 MOM - class act again  everything we did went through him. Ran the show. 

Jones - 6 -  mr reliable, mr consistent, did his job, nothing special except that wonder strike! Lost theball more than I'd like. 

Winnall - 4 - offered little didn't get in any goal scoring position and fluffed the one chance he did get. Better impact player. 

Hooper - 8 - always lively always looking to make something happen. Brilliant skills when he hit the bar. Unlucky not to score. 

Subs 

Fletcher- 5 - tried but just didn't work for him tonight. Didn't win a header and his 1st touch was off. 

Rhodes- 7 - desperately needs a goal. Should have hit target but got in a position  to score with in about 5 mins. Winnall didn't get in one all game. Rhodes has to start over winnall got me. 

Palmer - 3 - lost ball right and end when we could have put a cross in. Everything he did do was either poor or the wrong choice. 

Carlos - 5 - got it wrong tactically again. Attacked down the left when he Should have tried to exploit the right. Mcgeady doesn't defend so left that side exposed. Waited too late to make changes as always. 

4 for Winall, 5 for Fletcher And 6 for Jones really? Mr consistent? consistently gave the ball away or turned and passed square or backwards, have to give him credit for battling on, not hiding and a great goal. 

All about opinions but for me, Fletcher was far better than Jones.

Bannan best player on pitch again seems to have got his mojo back.

Reach much improved second half, give him the ball with an opportunity to run outside the defender and I think we will see the player we all hope he can be.

Hooper must start next match, if we can get him, Bannan and a fit Kieran Lee  on form they will cause any defence problems.

Hope the second half is the start of a more attack minded approach from Carlos as anyone can see that's when look like a team capable of challenging for promotion.

30 minutes ago, Kenners3896 said:

Player ratings 

Subs 

Only a 5 for Fletcher?!

I thought he was the catalyst for our second half performance with his strength, hold up and link . Play and willingness to drive wide and stretch the opposition.

6 minutes ago, CEOwl said:

Did anyone expect anything more from tonight? I didn't - we are in the doldrums.

That tempo, desire,  energy and drive of the second half, combined with a bit of tactical flexibility the manager showed were all positives for me.

I thought we'd get something before the game and we did. I thought we were a little unlucky not to nick it for our efforts. 

1 hour ago, SiJ said:

Just got back...

Pretty accurate summary that.

I think Carlos really needs to settle upon a formation and approach. 

It's good to have flexibility and one of CC's biggest strengths has always been his ability to change a game at half time (he often needs to :duntmatter:), but we've got to try and settle upon something. 

I mean from my reckoning we've gone 4-4-2 (normal), to 4-4-2 (diamond), to 4-4-2 (normal) with a switch to 4-3-3 and tonight we went back to 4-4-2 (diamond) and then changed again to 4-3-3. That's in the space of 4 games! 

I thought the diamond worked really well against Chesterfield, but not so much tonight...but then if you keep chopping and changing how can you honestly expect to build any consistency? 

What I think we do need to do is sack off the 4-4-2 (normal) i.e. with the flat midfield. For me that system with this team has run its course and it isn't getting the best out of what we do have. 

The more I see, the more I think the 4-4-3 formation is our best bet. Certainly at home it gives us more outlets and more options.