Owls v Rangers - OMDT

The defending for both of their goals was terrible. We really need someone in there to take charge. Pudil looked all over the shop. He's an okay LB but never a CB, feel a bit for him having to play there as he's obviously not comfortable. 

Edited by WalthamOwl

Didn't go today because I'm skint and can't stand Rangers so the love in (I mean f*ck me we gave them the home end, wore our away kit so they could turn out in blue and played their music) would have made me want to vomit. Daresay the performance wouldn't have particularly cheered me up either. 

I saw we'd lost 2-0 and said jokingly to a mate "Owlstalk will be in meltdown then", thinking people couldn't possibly be getting their knickers in a twist over a pre-season friendly. Then I log on and find that not only are we in meltdown, Carlos is now a "clueless" manager who has to go.

You lot are incredible. Just incredible. Not saying that if we have a slow start to the season my patience with Carlos won't run thin, but forgive me for not losing any sleep over a pre-season friendly, especially when we've won most of the other ones. 

Edited by Groundhopping Owl

3 hours ago, fred mciver said:

Aren't Rangers about a month ahead of us pre-season due to that European tie?

We're less than a week away from the start of the season - the fitness should now be there and tapering the training down to be at peak readiness for the first match 6 days away

No way should fitness/conditioning be an issue at this stage

41 minutes ago, Groundhopping Owl said:

Didn't go today because I'm skint and can't stand Rangers so the love in (I mean f*ck me we gave them the home end, wore our away kit so they could turn out in blue and played their music) would have made me want to vomit. Daresay the performance wouldn't have particularly cheered me up either. 

I saw we'd lost 2-0 and said jokingly to a mate "Owlstalk will be in meltdown then", thinking people couldn't possibly be getting their knickers in a twist over a pre-season friendly. Then I log on and find that not only are we in meltdown, Carlos is now a "clueless" manager who has to go.

You lot are incredible. Just incredible. Not saying that if we have a slow start to the season my patience with Carlos won't run thin, but forgive me for not losing any sleep over a pre-season friendly, especially when we've won most of the other ones. 

Yes I said Carlos was clueless as having watched the game today absolutely nothing has changed from last season despite him saying we could expect a far positive style of play.

Yes it's pre season but surely you play these friendlies with players in their best positions and in the style /formation you intend to play in 6,yes 6 days time otherwise what is the point.

I truly hope I am wrong, as I, like all Owls , want to see us succeed but I am not convinced Carlos has learnt from his previous mistakes.

I wish we had some nasty bassas like Rangers 

Rhodes gets ragged by their No4 whinges to the ref for the next 5 mins 

Hererra has a set too with Lees rags him all over for the next 20 mins 

they pushed shoved kicked and outworked us Miller 103 next birthday looked sharper fitter and faster than our entire defence 

Both their CBs were proper dirty nasty footballers just the sort we need 

Dorrans ran the game 

FF was the Wednesday player who had a proper go back 

5 minutes ago, Lawrie Madden said:

I wish we had some nasty bassas like Rangers 

Rhodes gets ragged by their No4 whinges to the ref for the next 5 mins 

Hererra has a set too with Lees rags him all over for the next 20 mins 

they pushed shoved kicked and outworked us Miller 103 next birthday looked sharper fitter and faster than our entire defence 

Both their CBs were proper dirty nasty footballers just the sort we need 

Dorrans ran the game 

FF was the Wednesday player who had a proper go back 

Reff didn't help , we were up for a friendly  and they came to win the game , only tom Lee's stood up to them . 

BTW , Forrestieri got sucked in and took the quick free kick which resulted in their second goal . 

6 minutes ago, hugeowl said:

Reff didn't help , we were up for a friendly  and they came to win the game , only tom Lee's stood up to them . 

BTW , Forrestieri got sucked in and took the quick free kick which resulted in their second goal . 

I know but my point stands FF was the only player who gave em a bit back 

Lees had a set too but was then owned IMO 

They're a pampered lot with their pre-season Portugal jolly. This is what they should have done.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/sep/09/huddersfield-david-wagner-no-electricity-no-beds-football-championship

“We knew we had a lot of new signings and should never forget that this is a traditional English football club with more than 100 years of history and I am the first manager from outside the British Isles and maybe there are as many foreign players as there has ever been, so we thought: ‘How can we make the players bind together very quickly?’” he says.

“We went to Sweden for four days and three nights and we didn’t bring a ball. We were really in the wild, no electricity, no toilet, no bed, no mobile phone or internet. If you are hungry, take your rod and get a fish. If you are thirsty, go to the lake and put your bottle in. If you are cold, make a fire.

“We had three guides with us to help, but if you are always together, in a two-man tent or eight hours a day in a two-man canoe – and we always rotated the pairings – then you have to speak to each other. I am convinced that the better you know your mate off the pitch, the more you are able to work for him on it in uncomfortable situations.

“They changed their borderlines over those three days. I can say now, three months later, that it was 100% success, and that is the feedback from the players, too.”

Edited by Almat

1 hour ago, ScrappyOwl said:

Yes I said Carlos was clueless as having watched the game today absolutely nothing has changed from last season despite him saying we could expect a far positive style of play.

Yes it's pre season but surely you play these friendlies with players in their best positions and in the style /formation you intend to play in 6,yes 6 days time otherwise what is the point.

I truly hope I am wrong, as I, like all Owls , want to see us succeed but I am not convinced Carlos has learnt from his previous mistakes.

We don't know that nothing has changed from last season until this season actually starts. No matter how good or bad the signs are, it's absolute insanity to be calling for the manager's head based on one performance in a pre-season game. The whole point of pre-season is to try things out in a low pressure environment - different players, tactics, play styles etc. -  while building up match fitness.

Give Carlos until the international break to establish either a) that he can use a squad with an advantage over others in chemistry and cohesion to get us off to a fast start, or b) establish the opposite - that he hasn't addressed the problems and we're left playing catch up again. If the latter happens, Chansiri may be forced to act before we fall too far behind. 

But as a point to all those in hysterics about a single bad game in pre-season - until the season starts, wind your necks in. I know it's been a boring summer, but this really isn't worth the catastrophising that's going on.

Thought I'd chuck my twopenneth in..

Quite frankly, I was shocked at the state of some of our players - both physically and mentally.

Quite a few looked too heavy , especially Hooper (no surprise) Rhodes and Forestieri. Quite how they've managed to get out of shape when they are in pre season, I dont know.

That brings me on to my second point..none of them gave a throw today. Yes its a friendly, but we have a big squad and first team places are up for grabs. The lack of concentration and commitment was amazing. Only FF when he came on showed any desire.

To me, it looks like we have a squad of players now that are not fully committed to the cause. It's like they are saying "What's the point, he just picks his favourites anyway"

Guest Kagoshimaowl
5 hours ago, sheriwozgod said:

I agree mate........I was being sarcy after loads of posters tipped him for POTY this year.

Didn't realize mate.  It was 2am and a big cockroach ran across my phone screen to distract me( camping in the countryside with the family).  Wasn't exactly on my game!!

1 hour ago, Bannofan said:

Thought I'd chuck my twopenneth in..

Quite frankly, I was shocked at the state of some of our players - both physically and mentally.

Quite a few looked too heavy , especially Hooper (no surprise) Rhodes and Forestieri. Quite how they've managed to get out of shape when they are in pre season, I dont know.

That brings me on to my second point..none of them gave a throw today. Yes its a friendly, but we have a big squad and first team places are up for grabs. The lack of concentration and commitment was amazing. Only FF when he came on showed any desire.

To me, it looks like we have a squad of players now that are not fully committed to the cause. It's like they are saying "What's the point, he just picks his favourites anyway"

This will be true if the first competitive game is as abject a performance as today's sounds. 

I can't disagree with the rest of it and particularly agree with the bit about then bring it of shape. Inexcusable of your job is a professional footballer. I'm glad there have been no big money signings. I think desire make up for lack of quality at this level. We stand no chance of going up with a team of players who are happy with their lot. We need a team with ambition (even if that means moving to a bigger pay packet elsewhere), and desire. I'm thinking Huddersfield, Burnley and Bournemouth went they went up.

23 hours ago, StudentOwl said:

We'll get a side that was in the Scottish third division 4 years ago

No new kit today or even an announcement (or an announcement about an announcement)

A decent atmosphere 

A half-decent attacking performance

A win by one goal or a draw 

I'm going to revisit this post at 4:45 and see how I did  lol 

Was moving house so never got the chance to revisit this...

Looks like I gave us too much credit. That's sad. 

Been trying to ascertain, from those who went, whether there was any noticeable extra attacking intent? Presumably, we've been perfecting this new way of playing during this seasons friendlies, so was the Rangers game an opportunity to assess our progress. The result is not important to me, although beating the Scottish no hopers, should have been a formality. What I'm more interested in is, have we established this new pattern of play? Can anyone clear this up?

Just now, gurujuan said:

Been trying to ascertain, from those who went, whether there was any noticeable extra attacking intent? Presumably, we've been perfecting this new way of playing during this seasons friendlies, so was the Rangers game an opportunity to assess our progress. The result is not important to me, although beating the Scottish no hopers, should have been a formality. What I'm more interested in is, have we established this new pattern of play? Can anyone clear this up?

No mate. Apart from a brief spell just after half time after FF came on where we pressed the ball higher and had a few chances, we offered nothing.

Slow, ponderous play with very little movement in attack. 

No new attacking intent or patterns of play as far as I could see.

40 minutes ago, IstillhateSteveBould said:

No mate. Apart from a brief spell just after half time after FF came on where we pressed the ball higher and had a few chances, we offered nothing.

Slow, ponderous play with very little movement in attack. 

No new attacking intent or patterns of play as far as I could see.

What nothing, were the wide players still playing narrow, and the midfield pairing, surely they will have been playing further forward? I was wondering whether it was just, the same old, same old, or whether we were just undone due to our ambitious attacking instincts