Owls v Rangers - OMDT

Just now, gurujuan said:

What nothing, were the wide players still playing narrow, and the midfield pairing, surely they will have been playing further forward? I was wondering whether it was just, the same old, same old, or whether we were just undone due to our ambitious attacking instincts

Same old. Bannan and Jones both sat deep, gap in midfield, pass pass pass, back to defenders, they close us down, hoof. Repeat. Especially first half. 

As I say, we pressed higher up the pitch when FF came on and caused them a few problems early in the 2nd half until they got the 2nd goal. 

Wingers still popping up in central areas and fullbacks attempting to give us some width. 

I wouldn't expect much different pal. 

40 minutes ago, IstillhateSteveBould said:

Same old. Bannan and Jones both sat deep, gap in midfield, pass pass pass, back to defenders, they close us down, hoof. Repeat. Especially first half. 

As I say, we pressed higher up the pitch when FF came on and caused them a few problems early in the 2nd half until they got the 2nd goal. 

Wingers still popping up in central areas and fullbacks attempting to give us some width. 

I wouldn't expect much different pal. 

That is really worrying. When Carlos came out with that "more attacking approach" stuff, I suggested it was probably waffle. Most of the decisions that have been made, didn't really seem to back up what he was saying

Poster after poster will say what a good player Jones is but on the last 10 months evidence i just dont see it.

He doesnt create, he doesnt spoil..............he just kinda sits 10 yards in front of the centre halves , backpeddles without challenging then passes it 5 or 10 yard sideways when he occasionally gets posession.

I am probably reading too much into yesterday but my frustration at our selections/tactics are boiling over..........................and i get the impression a lot of the squad are feeling the same way.

14 hours ago, scram said:

We're less than a week away from the start of the season - the fitness should now be there and tapering the training down to be at peak readiness for the first match 6 days away

No way should fitness/conditioning be an issue at this stage

That's probably what startled me the most..the obvious lack of fitness and sharpness, especially with Hooper and Rhodes.

If it was the first pre season friendly of the season it could just about have been acceptable, but not six days away from the start of the season.

We may be OK against Preston, the players might step it up a notch, but that doesn't excuse the obvious lack of commitment to challenging for a first team place yesterday.

I honestly don't know what the answer is. We certainly don't need any more ' competition' in midfield or up front. We only need a centre back that can go straight into the first to play alongside Lees.

3 hours ago, gurujuan said:

Been trying to ascertain, from those who went, whether there was any noticeable extra attacking intent? Presumably, we've been perfecting this new way of playing during this seasons friendlies, so was the Rangers game an opportunity to assess our progress. The result is not important to me, although beating the Scottish no hopers, should have been a formality. What I'm more interested in is, have we established this new pattern of play? Can anyone clear this up?

I was sat just at the side of the kop end goal, 2nd row, never once thought I would have to duck or catch the ball, very poor from us