Hutton and mulgrew

43 minutes ago, StudentOwl said:

Boyd on a free is a great signing

Mulgrew on the relative cheap is a fantastic addition to the matchday 18

Hutton is a mystery

You know me Guru, I've been criticising recruitment for the last 12 months. 2/3 of the talked about/completed signings are class, zero complaints. However... looking at the big picture... once again it's 30+ year olds on big expensive, slightly too-long contracts. Individually the players are great... overall... it's more of the same and it's going to bite us in the butt if we don't get promotion very soon. 

Exactly, it is the bigger picture You are always gonna find redeeming features in players who have played at that level, but it doesn't mean that's the only type you have to sign. Our need is for energy, pace and guile, they are the attributes we needed to make it over the line, and that is where we came up short

I've no issues with us signing Mulgrew and even Hutton to a degree. I'd like us to get in a couple of younger players in too though to keep the squad fresh. The lad Tosin Adarabioyo would be a great acquisition on loan to add pace and height at the back when needed. Then I'd look to see if we can bring in a young athletic enforcer to add competition for Hutchinson and cover for his injuries and suspensions.

i think I'd be happy with our business if we did that. Let's not forget that the Rhodes signing took a hefty chunk out of our Summer budget.

As much as I dislike Huddersfield I wish we would copy them in the way that they got young quality hungry players from the Premiership that massively helped them achieve promotion. Even Mooy who was only 26 had a point to prove and was one of the best midfielders in the league last season. I want us to go for players that have their career ahead of them, want to make a name for themselves and succeed in the game. Not people like Hutton who are on their way out in a couple of years and have no doubt achieved their best. 

2 minutes ago, WalthamOwl said:

As much as I dislike Huddersfield I wish we would copy them in the way that they got young quality hungry players from the Premiership that massively helped them achieve promotion. Even Mooy who was only 26 had a point to prove and was one of the best midfielders in the league last season. I want us to go for players that have their career ahead of them, want to make a name for themselves and succeed in the game. Not people like Hutton who are on their way out in a couple of years and have no doubt achieved their best. 

fair point but you cant beat experience, trick is to get the perfect blend and thats a winning recipe

41 minutes ago, debram said:

fair point but you cant beat experience, trick is to get the perfect blend and thats a winning recipe

But that's just it, they did beat experience. I'm with Waltham re Huddersfield, and you can add Fulham to that, but alas, I think we are too far down this route to change. 

I'll be happy to take Mulgrew, assuming he's Sasso's replacement. Still need an upgrade on Loovens though, who should drop to 3rd choice centre half (Mulgrew 4th choice).

Not sure of Hutton. Don't see him as an improvement on Hunt (and he's a lot older and probably on bigger £), and also don't see full backs as priority - even more so RB given how well Hunt has played in 2017.

Aside from cover at centre half, our recruitment should be with the aim of improving the main 11. Boyd does that for me, he's an upgrade on Wallace (who I like also) IMO. Hutton, should he sign, may be an improvement on back up RB Palmer, but not on Hunt. Perhaps Carlos has plans to rotate at full back again and isn't happy with Palmer? Still, we have higher priorities than RB.

One thing is almost certain, we won't close in on the top 2 positions without a couple of upgrades at centre half and central midfield.

You will have seen elsewhere that Hutton needs to be forced out of Villa if he is to go anywhere, he wants to stay at Villa.

That'll be an interesting one with the false Doctor Xia involved, if we are actually interested in Hutton.

I got the impression last summer that Dr Xia doesn't particularly like Wednesday after being warned off Forestieri, what Dr Xia perceived to be a derisory bid for Joe Bennett, and competition for Houhrahan and Rhodes.

I'd put a quid on Villa not doing any business with Wednesday whilst Xia is in charge there. Just a hunch.

Guest Kagoshimaowl
13 hours ago, oh_weds_we_love_you said:

I'll be happy to take Mulgrew, assuming he's Sasso's replacement. Still need an upgrade on Loovens though, who should drop to 3rd choice centre half (Mulgrew 4th choice).

Not sure of Hutton. Don't see him as an improvement on Hunt (and he's a lot older and probably on bigger £), and also don't see full backs as priority - even more so RB given how well Hunt has played in 2017.

Aside from cover at centre half, our recruitment should be with the aim of improving the main 11. Boyd does that for me, he's an upgrade on Wallace (who I like also) IMO. Hutton, should he sign, may be an improvement on back up RB Palmer, but not on Hunt. Perhaps Carlos has plans to rotate at full back again and isn't happy with Palmer? Still, we have higher priorities than RB.

One thing is almost certain, we won't close in on the top 2 positions without a couple of upgrades at centre half and central midfield.

Think some of you are living in dreamworld.  Do you really think a Scottish International who is in the starting 11 for his national side is going to come here as FOURTH choice? Keep dreaming.

Mulgrew would be a solid signing. Tbh I think he is an upgrade to Loovens. Loovens of today, not Loovens of 2 years ago.

Cheap, plays centerback, left back, and defensive mid, happy on the ball and can pass, good height, take a mean freekick, still got 2-3 good years in him, and showed he can do a job in the Scotland v England match.

Would be happy enough starting the season with him, Lees, Looven and Hutch all for cetnerback, tho would obviously prefer a 'top end' centerback to be first choice.

Hutton.. I don't really get. Yes, he's better than Hunt and Palmer.. but he's not going to be cheap (wage wise) and Hunt and Palmer are good enough to get us promoted. If he was a left back.. maybe. Tho Fox has had a decent preseason. Bit of an odd one.. but maybe we have a little discontent behind the scenes.. e.g. palmer's said "play me or let me go" and we just want a player to fill "until we go up". Hutton would be a decent shout in that situation. Time will tell i guess.

1 hour ago, theowlsman said:

You will have seen elsewhere that Hutton needs to be forced out of Villa if he is to go anywhere, he wants to stay at Villa.

That'll be an interesting one with the false Doctor Xia involved, if we are actually interested in Hutton.

I got the impression last summer that Dr Xia doesn't particularly like Wednesday after being warned off Forestieri, what Dr Xia perceived to be a derisory bid for Joe Bennett, and competition for Houhrahan and Rhodes.

I'd put a quid on Villa not doing any business with Wednesday whilst Xia is in charge there. Just a hunch.

The fact that he was included in Villa's trip to Germany and was in the starting line-up for their game yesterday suggests they're not trying to force him out or that he is on the brink of leaving - plus he recently triggered his contract extension and has gone on record to say he will not be moving

1 hour ago, Kagoshimaowl said:

Think some of you are living in dreamworld.  Do you really think a Scottish International who is in the starting 11 for his national side is going to come here as FOURTH choice? Keep dreaming.

That's where you're getting a wee bit confused. I don't expect Mulgrew to be 4th choice if he signs, I just believe if we are to improve our main 11 players on the pitch, then Mulgrew would be my 4th choice centre half because I'd want Lees and another top centre back as first choice, leaving Loovens and Mulgrew as 3rd and 4th choice.

Whilst Mulgrew might be a better defender than Loovens - debatable - the Lees/Loovens combination is extremely good, hence I'd have to put Mulgrew as 4th choice.

We need an improvement on Loovens, IMO, and that ain't Mulgrew.

Guest Kagoshimaowl
3 minutes ago, oh_weds_we_love_you said:

That's where you're getting a wee bit confused. I don't expect Mulgrew to be 4th choice if he signs, I just believe if we are to improve our main 11 players on the pitch, then Mulgrew would be my 4th choice centre half because I'd want Lees and another top centre back as first choice, leaving Loovens and Mulgrew as 3rd and 4th choice.

Whilst Mulgrew might be a better defender than Loovens - debatable - the Lees/Loovens combination is extremely good, hence I'd have to put Mulgrew as 4th choice.

We need an improvement on Loovens, IMO, and that ain't Mulgrew.

Who do you suggest mate? Hanley is no way better than Mulgrew in my opinion.  I'm with you on Loovens too.  I really like him and I'm fine if he's still first choice if we don't want to pay extraordinary fees to replace him.

Just now, Kagoshimaowl said:

Who do you suggest mate? Hanley is no way better than Mulgrew in my opinion.  I'm with you on Loovens too.  I really like him and I'm fine if he's still first choice if we don't want to pay extraordinary fees to replace him.

Personally, I'd like Bartley - right age, quality all-round defender, and was an absolute beast last season for Leeds. I expect he'll cost a decent amount, but I don't see us spending any substantial money elsewhere.

The main downfall we have is being dominant in the air from set-pieces. It's not really Loovens' game to stick his head where it might hurt, but no-one would mess with Bartley in the air! On that line, same goes for Hanley, though I think he lacks composure on the ball and I would have doubts he'd fit into our style. Bartley is like a combination of the good of Loovens and the good of Hanley.

Agree with you though about paying extraordinary fees pal, but given the shortage of quality centre halves at present, it might prove to be a worthwhile investment to pay, say £7m, for Bartley.

1 hour ago, Kagoshimaowl said:

I doubt Abdi came here, expecting to be fourth choice left winger ... Winnall, Joao & Jones are in similar situations too

He'd possibly be third choice anyway. Depending on Hutchinson situation

17 hours ago, owl4528 said:

Not had a chance to read the whole thread, but don't understand why we are signing Hutton when a player of the calibre of El Mohamedy was available. We should be aiming higher to strengthen..

Is that Hamish El McMohamedy you mean?

Edited by OWLERTON GHOST

35 minutes ago, steveger said:

Kyle Bartley is pure class IMO, pure class.....young, strong and a natural leader

Bartley and / or Ayala would be my first choice CB to sign.

It could be we are waiting until the last minute like we did with Rhodes to try and get a better deal, or for other clubs to sign replacements.