Hutton and mulgrew

If you have competition it drives both parties to improve. The trouble we have is that we have little to no competition in defensive areas. 

Who was or is Loovens competition - no one. So we need anyone that can compete. Inform and fit Mulgrew is better than an injured Loovens or out of form Loovens. 

You will always find redeeming features in a player, especially when those players have played at a good level Any player will have qualities that could at some point be useful If we were a young dynamic group of players lacking experience, then there might be some justification for these type of signings We aren't, we probably have one of the oldest most experienced squads in the division

Neither did we lack defensive nous, with again, one of the best defensive records in the league. If anything, we lacked goals, that is probably what cost us a place in the top division Our squad is crying out for pace, energy and invention, something neither of these two possess

It will be another step backwards if these two deals come to fruition

3 minutes ago, Great Big Galaa said:

We seem to be signing a lot of players in their late twenties-early thirties but it's recruitment that has pushed us on and hopefully it'll continue to do so?

Has it pushed us on though? We had an exciting side, that reached the play off final, and went on a cup run that did for the likes of top flight clubs, Newcastle and Arsenal Since then, we've had this obsession with older heads, which for the money spent, hasn't really improved us

10 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

You will always find redeeming features in a player, especially when those players have played at a good level Any player will have qualities that could at some point be useful If we were a young dynamic group of players lacking experience, then there might be some justification for these type of signings We aren't, we probably have one of the oldest most experienced squads in the division

Neither did we lack defensive nous, with again, one of the best defensive records in the league. If anything, we lacked goals, that is probably what cost us a place in the top division Our squad is crying out for pace, energy and invention, something neither of these two possess

It will be another step backwards if these two deals come to fruition

They are both vastly experienced players that will add strength, depth and stability to our defence

Good business in the right area if these two join us

20 minutes ago, rickygoo said:

New signings are always a bit lap of the gods. Whether they work or not is a mix of calculation and luck.

We don't seem to be after bums on seats type players but even players you hope would be nailed on to succeed sometimes don't - I can remember loads from Mirocevic through Chamberlain, Stainrod, Sinton- and we don't know how for example Rhodes and Abdi e.g. will end up.

Likewise players such as McCulloch, Madden, Big Viv, Lees etc have exceeded expectations. A lot of people - me included - wondered why we were signing Bannan. Now he's a vital squad member.

Let's hope CC/DC/ whoever gets it right - we won't know until we see how the team gels. 

That's true but I think your last line is what's key for us this season. In the past two seasons we had to gel as a team and brought in lots of new players but this time we don't need many players. That should give us an advantage over quite a lot of teams, that have uncertainty hanging over them, with lots of changes. It's important we bring in the right players but there are no certainties how they will do, whether we're happy or not about whoever we sign.

Mulgrew would be a good signing. He was very good when he played against us last season. A definite improvement on sasso and could easily challenge for loovens place at CH, I definitely wouldn't complain if we sign him. Exactly what we need in my opinion. 

Mulgrew was on a free last season  and we were interested. I wonder why we didn't sign him especially as we went out and brought in (for the two positions that Mulgrew plays) Sasso on a free and paid 750 Grand for Fox. 

1 minute ago, Walt said:

Mulgrew was on a free last season  and we were interested. I wonder why we didn't sign him especially as we went out and brought in (for the two positions that Mulgrew plays) Sasso on a free and paid 750 Grand for Fox. 

We wouldn't match his wages. 

3 minutes ago, happy bunny said:

They are both vastly experienced players that will add strength, depth and stability to our defence

Good business in the right area if these two join us

If more experience was what was required, then I might agree We have plenty

21 minutes ago, StudentOwl said:

Mulgrew makes complete sense because of his versatility.

Hutton however... Alan the waster Hutton... :duntmatter:

Hutton is an interesting one. I thought Jack Hunt really improved last year but in the pre season games I've watched with a slightly tweaked system (with full backs pushing further forwards) he seams to get too easily caught out with simple balls through the channel. Will Hutton fit though because what's needed is an athlete to get forward fast and Hunt does this whereas Hutton doesn't seem to fit this kind of player. 

Just now, David1867 said:

We wouldn't match his wages. 

Seems strange that Blackburn did. Add to that Sasso's and Fox's wage plus the 750 Grand for Fox. Doesn't make much sense to me unless he was asking for stupid money

Just now, gurujuan said:

We only have 2, but are experienced Are you thinking, other than Mulgrew, we won't be signing another centre back?

Until we do we have none. We require 2, as per CC. One who is tall, left sided, versatile and inexpensive sounds fantastic to me. Unsure to your comment on us having plenty of anything when it comes to a centerback. 

Whilst I hope we have other targets, I hope we sign others. That's all we have, hope. Plenty of hope. Not plenty of experience or players.