Hutton and mulgrew

1 minute ago, fred mciver said:

Hutton compared to Hunt is like Barcelona to Barnsley.

His class would also well support our right wingers. 

Haha.

I think that comparison is overstating it a bit but I agree he has more quality.  

1 hour ago, gurujuan said:

If we are using full backs to provide the width, a lot of teams do that, then why do we need wingers? What I mean is, why use wingers as auxiliary midfielders, when we could use the real thing 

Probably because the players we've signed can do both and it provides options 

9 minutes ago, steveger said:

As much as i hope we don't sign Hutton he's far from Garbage.....i just think we could do a little better...

The word you are looking for is._a lot better if we got him  kiss  pl football goodbye  for next season 

1 minute ago, steveger said:

Somehow if that's the case again then i don't think it will be Alan Hutton getting the blame...

Okay probably wrong way to put it I would not be blaming the Player but let's face it it's not showing ambitions to get up to the Premier League if we was to get him...

1 minute ago, TheEnd1976 said:

Okay probably wrong way to put it I would not be blaming the Player but let's face it it's not showing ambitions to get up to the Premier League if we was to get him...

Which right back would you prefer us to go and get then? 

If we are after Hutton then Carlos clearly wants another one.

11 minutes ago, james o connor said:

The very fastest? Did they all do a race. He's 32 so obviously won't be as fast as he was. His pace isn't really the issue though. Hunt is a better player 

...and if/when Palmer leaves and we replace him with Hutton, are we worse off?

6 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Can't believe the disrespect shown to Palmer by some of our so called fans

Its appalling the disrespect he gets n here. Sadly Palmer has always been harshly judged.

I think it is because he first came into the team as a makeshift right back at a time when we were very poor.

However he then went on to break the clean sheet record two seasons on a trot in a settled back four. 

People will always go back to their original prejudices though.

16 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Can't believe the disrespect shown to Palmer by some of our so called fans

It's impossible to have 25-30 superstars or even first teamers in a squad; keeping them happy and ballencing the books. 

Having low expenditure reliable backups that can fill voids when needed and battle for a spot is key. For that reason I really value: Palmer, Sasso (no better 4th choice centerback in league for me), Semedo and Winall (bit harsh on him but he's likely on a lot less than the other three strikers). 

Add to that hes he's one of our own, why would anyone dump on him? 

The time to sign Mulgrew was when he left Aberdeen, I said it on here at the time all those years ago.

I'd be disappointed with both Mulgrew and Hutton if they signed now. Mulgrew has never convinced me as a centre back and Hutton is nowhere near the player he was. Both would want sizeable wages too. Our recruitment is baffling at times. There doesn't seem to be much strategy behind it 

2 minutes ago, sheriwozgod said:

I wanted us to sign Mulgrew last summer...........can play centre half, left back or centre midfield, very comfortable on the ball sensible signing if true.

His flexibility I suppose is a strong point but it's not like we have a small squad where we need players who can play in several areas. He takes a decent set piece I suppose too

Edited by edinburghowl

It's good that people are falling into line, but let's be honest here. Didn't people expect a little more from our summer recruitment? Just look at some of the names touted on the transfer threads, not many wishing we'd sign Boyd, Hutton and Mulgrew

It's good that people are falling into line, but let's be honest here. Didn't people expect a little more from our summer recruitment? Just look at some of the names touted on the transfer threads, not many wishing we'd sign Boyd, Hutton and Mulgrew

yet 3 years ago, we would be creaming ourselves if such players were coming to the club. shows how times change so quick.

Boyd on a free is a great signing

Mulgrew on the relative cheap is a fantastic addition to the matchday 18

Hutton is a mystery

You know me Guru, I've been criticising recruitment for the last 12 months. 2/3 of the talked about/completed signings are class, zero complaints. However... looking at the big picture... once again it's 30+ year olds on big expensive, slightly too-long contracts. Individually the players are great... overall... it's more of the same and it's going to bite us in the butt if we don't get promotion very soon. 

3 hours ago, gurujuan said:

Maybe, but if that is the case, do we really need two thirty something reserve centre backs

Signing Mulgrew makes so much sense. Top cover for left back and CB. Expect the other CB to be much hugget profile, obviously, but we you can't ask for much better third or fourth choice.