Hutton and mulgrew

9 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

I think we need to separate a few issues here The club is unquestionably going in the right direction, as witnessed by some of the things that are happening in and around Hillsborough Most people appreciate that, I'm sure.

I do think though, on the field, things may have stalled a tad. In that first season, we signed some exciting players, scored some cracking goals and generally entertained.

Last summer, I thought we lost our way with some of the signings we made A lot of money was spent on perhaps too many players The January window just compounded things for me. We never really looked like we could threaten the automatics, and in my opinion, never really dominated our opponents 

Don't get me wrong, we have good players, and enough quality to again challenge for the play offs We are though, no nearer being able to challenge for a top two place. In fact, there were signs last season that a few sides had caught us up

I have the utmost confidence in Carlos as a coach, and I believe he will find a way a way of getting results with whatever hand he's been dealt For me though, it's a case of what might have been

At the end of the day we don't know how Carlos is going to tackle this season. Will he go back to the first seasons attacking style of play or continue with last seasons more defensive approach.  I would like to think it will be a mixture of both. 

Our start in paper is not the trickiest. So who knows how we may fair and what confidence that may breed. Forestieri, Reach, Abdi, Rhodes, Boyd and even Matias could start putting in the type of performances that could get us into the top two.

Believe it or not I think we are going about it the right way this year and not just signing for the sake of it and although Mulgrew and Hutton may not be the most inspiring of signings. all it is at the moment is paper talk and if Carlos does think they will fit in. Let's see how he does it first.

My point is I don't see how you can possibly say we aren't good enough before a ball is even kicked as anything could happen and anyone could still be signed.

9 minutes ago, Bluesteel said:

People might be pleasantly surprised by Hutton. Clips from the last two seasons suggest he covers a lot of ground and has a bit more end product than our current full backs 

I don't think Huttons forward play has ever been an issue, he certainly has better end product than either Hunt or Palmer. Defensively i've always thought he was a nightmare.

6 minutes ago, mogbad said:

I don't think Huttons forward play has ever been an issue, he certainly has better end product than either Hunt or Palmer. Defensively i've always thought he was a nightmare.

If we are playing a narrow game where midfield helps the defence then CC looks to the fullbacks to give us width, seems

to be the main job for full backs these days as opposed to being solid defenders.

2 hours ago, rickygoo said:

New signings are always a bit lap of the gods. Whether they work or not is a mix of calculation and luck.

We don't seem to be after bums on seats type players but even players you hope would be nailed on to succeed sometimes don't - I can remember loads from Mirocevic through Chamberlain, Stainrod, Sinton- and we don't know how for example Rhodes and Abdi e.g. will end up.

Likewise players such as McCulloch, Madden, Big Viv, Lees etc have exceeded expectations. A lot of people - me included - wondered why we were signing Bannan. Now he's a vital squad member.

Let's hope CC/DC/ whoever gets it right - we won't know until we see how the team gels. 

This exactly let's wait and see. 

41 minutes ago, Bluesteel said:

People might be pleasantly surprised by Hutton. Clips from the last two seasons suggest he covers a lot of ground and has a bit more end product than our current full backs 

Looks bit better than Hunt based on that clip. Makes better use of the ball in the final 3rd. 

Although I'm not sure why they included him missing an open net from 3 yards in that compilation.  :) 

Hutton would be a waste. We're already covered at RB so signing him would make no sense unless we plan to get rid of Palmer.

Not seen much of Mulgrew but should we be signing someone who was in a relegated side?

If either or both happen, it's panic buying. Neither are better than we currently have. 

2 minutes ago, Liamswfc92 said:

Hutton would be a waste. We're already covered at RB so signing him would make no sense unless we plan to get rid of Palmer.

Not seen much of Mulgrew but should we be signing someone who was in a relegated side?

If either or both happen, it's panic buying. Neither are better than we currently have. 

If we are buying Hutton then he will definitely be playing so this also may mean Reach at left back and attack attack attack.

8 minutes ago, Greenhgate Owl said:

I'd have been happy with signing these two back when we didn't have a pot to pi$$ In but now we should be going for players capable of being premier league class

they'd just be another waste of money

but that's Carlos speciality after all

Don't think for one minute these would be Carlos's signings, like most of those last season

Would be happy with Hutton, no worse than Hunt certainly.Would give better competition than Liam Palmer who we could then move on.Wouldn't be keen on paying a fee for Hutton really though.

Mulgrew a decent utility player for most positions.CB,LB,Midfield.

Must be better options and both over 30 again though, on a 1 year deal with option of an extra year might be viable.

26 minutes ago, Greenhgate Owl said:

I'd have been happy with signing these two back when we didn't have a pot to pi$$ In but now we should be going for players capable of being premier league class

they'd just be another waste of money

but that's Carlos speciality after all

#FunFP 

1 minute ago, Shezza said:

We were never going to sign two top class Championship center backs. Mulgrew will provide very good cover. 

Maybe, but if that is the case, do we really need two thirty something reserve centre backs

1 hour ago, Bluesteel said:

Impossible to judge from a few clips but if (as seems to be the case from pre-season) we're pushing full backs on to provide width then this is starting to make more sense. 

4 minutes ago, No 2 is r nilsson said:

Impossible to judge from a few clips but if (as seems to be the case from pre-season) we're pushing full backs on to provide width then this is starting to make more sense. 

If we are using full backs to provide the width, a lot of teams do that, then why do we need wingers? What I mean is, why use wingers as auxiliary midfielders, when we could use the real thing 

Edited by gurujuan