I say give George Hirst a chance

Compare him to that Moore fella that played against Worksop, and he looks like a beast compared to Hirst.

Still, physical built aint everything. It is shame for Hirsty that he is breaking through in time when we have 4 classy Championship strikers at the club.

7 hours ago, wednesdayok said:

Worked well for Michael Owen, Marcus Rashford, he's ready in my opinion

Jesus Christ wednesdayok,

You should know the golden rule at Wednesday by now, our strikers are'nt ready for 1st team action until they're 29.

and then should be introduced slowly over 3 seasons.

Edited by zzmdu

7 hours ago, Philb125 said:

You're right - what's the worst that can happen.... 

Doesn't score, gets boo'd, leaves club, developes into international class striker, scores goals for england, leaves us wishing if only we'd developed him sensibly and got him there ourselves.

Not saying he's ready or not. Just there are potential pitfalls to bringing youth in especially too early, in front of seasoned top quality players, with crowds demanding instant success.

Wednesday fans would never demand instant success or indeed boo their own players.

It is madness to even think that.:picnic:

7 hours ago, Philb125 said:

You're right - what's the worst that can happen.... 

Doesn't score, gets boo'd, leaves club, developes into international class striker, scores goals for england, leaves us wishing if only we'd developed him sensibly and got him there ourselves.

Not saying he's ready or not. Just there are potential pitfalls to bringing youth in especially too early, in front of seasoned top quality players, with crowds demanding instant success.

I'm not convinced this is the case lol we wouldn't do such a thing would we ? 

Will Hirst ever be as good as Owen or Rashford?

Can't say for definite but there's a very high chance he won't be.

I'm all for giving him a chance but which of our top quality forwards is he actually better than atm? Probably not any of them really.

1 minute ago, Eightace said:

I'm all for giving him a chance but which of our top quality forwards is he actually better than atm? Probably not any of them really.

HOW RUDDY DARE YOU

You mean to tell me it's actually statistically probable he won't become a full England international? Such sacrilege simply cannot be accepted...  

5 hours ago, Eightace said:

At a similar age Owen was terrorising defences domestically and internationally on the biggest stage - i don't think it's unreasonable to say he was probably the best and most coveted teenage player in the world back then

Absolutely no comparison to Hirst really

15 hours ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

I'm sure those professional coaches who work with him day in, day out are best placed to make that call and will do so when the time is right.

Look at you trying to bring common sense and intelligence to Owlstalk.

You dreadful individual.

Hirst is kind of problematic, I would love to see him develop further, but our group of strikers is the best in the division.

Does he only have one year left on his contract? He will probably look to move on for his own development and future, I would love it if his development could be here, but again, unless we are tying him up on a long deal and then send him on loan, I've no idea how it will work.

15 hours ago, wednesdayok said:

Worked well for Michael Owen, Marcus Rashford, he's ready in my opinion

And if he dosnt score in his first three games he will get more flack than  Big Dave does ,and destroy is confidence. 

Carlos can't win.

Starts Hirst,  and everyone will be asking why he's leaving out Rhodes, hooper, Fernando, winnall or fletcher.

Goes with experience and proven track records, and he's castigated for not giving youth a chance.

He's certainly a very good footballer in his age range, but he's physically not ready for weekly championship football. And he's not ready to be ahead of at least 5 strikers in the first team.

Needs to go on loan for a full season, get a dozen league 2 or 1 goals, come back with experience and be ready to push for a starting place.

39 minutes ago, The Sleeping Giant said:

I agree, if you're good enough you're old enough. I was on the kop when his Dad scored against Everton on his debut.

No one is arguing he shouldn't be in the first team because he's too young. 

The argument is that he's not good enough.  Not now; not at this stage of his devolopment.  Were he to play in the champtionship now, he would struggle for lack of physical strength.  It is not the fact that he is young; it is another fact about him, which is explained by his youth. 

As Basil Fawlty said, it's not a proposition from Wittgenstein, and it's slightly alarming that this point seems difficult to grasp.

In due course, and perhaps before long, he will become good enough.  It may very well be that at today's prices in four years' time he'll be a £50m+ striker.  I think there's real prospects of that.  But none of that is relevant to today.