I say give George Hirst a chance

2 hours ago, wednesdayok said:

Worked well for Michael Owen, Marcus Rashford, he's ready in my opinion

I think wewill allow the experts to evaluate the speeed of his progression into the first team.

they haven't done a bad job up to now.

We have an abundance of quality CF's ahead of him, so what's the rush?..

It would seem from those WITHIN the club (and those that matter) that George is not quite ready for our first team yet, despite some nostalgic, sentimental and eager opinions from the stands. As has been said, at this time, sending GH out on loan makes more sense. 

Edited by AwokenGiant

51 minutes ago, Bluesteel said:

Would like to see him given a few mins in pre season along with Stobbs as we need a quick winger anyway. Would be a good test for them.

I thought he was being given a break at the moment. He played all last season and then in the summer for England youth team.

Not saying he's not got loads of potential but I'm a bit bemused as to why you think he should get into the first team ahead of:

- A full Scotland international with bags of PL experience who hit several goals in our great run in to last season (Fletcher)

- Someone who's scored more goals in the English leagues than Sergio Aguero since 2011/12 (Rhodes)

- The guy who has been our top scorer for the last two season, our player of the year only a season ago and who we could get £10-15m tomorrow if we put him on the market (Forestieri)

- A guy who transformed our season when he came back from injury and has scored goals at this level and higher (Hooper)

- The guy who scored more headed goals in the Champs than anyone last season (Winnall)

- A full Portuguese international who has performed well for us in many big games (Joao)

- A 6'6" full Kosovan interna....  ok  will give you that one  ... he is better than Dave.

For me either get him out on loan in league 1 for the season to get used to playing against seasoned pros and some crowds rather than a few parents and a scout or two for the under 18s/23s. Or we put him on the bench, for away games (less of our fans) no huge Hillsborough and if were winning and comfortable in control, keep giving him half hour here, half hour there, he's a predator not a big target man uses his institution and instinct rather than muscle. The only real way to know if he can adapt is to play him, giving him game time. 

Is young Hirsty currently better than Rhodes, Fletcher, Hooper, Forestieri, Winnall, Joao or Nuhiu (our current striker pool)?

Personally, I'd rather play Hirsty than Nuhiu (though Nuhiu does have something to offer coming off the bench when we are defending a tight lead), but I'd still have the other 6 ahead of him. Even in that position he's unlikely to get first team game time, so the best option would be a loan deal.

Edited by oh_weds_we_love_you

3 hours ago, wednesdayok said:

Worked well for Michael Owen, Marcus Rashford, he's ready in my opinion

Maybe he's ready this season but he was miles away last year. Don't get me wrong, in his own age bracket he's exceptional, in the U23 he's good, very good but in the Championship he's not shown he's ready.

We all want him to do well, we want him to be like his dad, we also want promotion. The danger is if we play Hirst and he isn't ready it might cost us points which can cost us at the end of the season. Maybe it won't but why take the chance, let him have a loan spell at a lower level for a period. If he does well he can come back here and fire us to automatic promotion.

8 minutes ago, wednesdayok said:

Get him in a first team friendly, then we can make up our own minds

So the answer is "no" then, considering you won't directly answer the question

So the "in my opinion he's ready" is based on... absolutely nothing and just how you feel about the situation. That seems a sensible way to form an opinion. 

Or, we can trust the opinion of the professional coaches with years of training and experience that work with him regularly and see him 4/5 times a week. Man that StudentOwl and his craaazzzzyyy suggestions... :rolleyes:

2 minutes ago, Owling said:

Seven strikers in front of him, he'll never get a game here, I'd move on if I were him.

Harry Kane was 20 before he got his first league appearance for Tottenham (discounting 4 substitute appearances the season before which gave him a total of about 10 minutes on the pitch between them). 

Considering George is only 18, it'd be a bit unwise to want to move on just because right this second there are about half a dozen strikers ahead of him? Two years is a long time in football... he could come on leaps and bounds and/or those players could be gone in two years. After all, of those 7 players you refer to, only one was here two years ago...

6 minutes ago, StudentOwl said:

So the answer is "no" then, considering you won't directly answer the question

So the "in my opinion he's ready" is based on... absolutely nothing and just how you feel about the situation. That seems a sensible way to form an opinion. 

Or, we can trust the opinion of the professional coaches with years of training and experience that work with him regularly and see him 4/5 times a week. Man that StudentOwl and his craaazzzzyyy suggestions... :rolleyes:

I take your point but I'd also remind you that our professional coaches with a wealth of experience thought it a good idea to play genuine wingers very narrow and central midfielders wide.

2 minutes ago, Walt said:

I take your point but I'd also remind you that our professional coaches with a wealth of experience thought it a good idea to play genuine wingers very narrow and central midfielders wide.

Which took a team that many said wouldn't make the playoffs to 4th in a very competitive league. Now I'm not saying that I think that it was the best use of our talent/squad but 4th was a good / fair result in my opinion. These professionals seem to know a thing or two?? 

When Pep puts 4 fullbacks on the pitch and none of them defend I see comments divided and when he wins its genius, when he loses its lunacy - hard to argue with his success though. Some times those that are in professional roles do actually know what they are up to even if us mere mortals question it.

After several years of reading and commenting here - I know one thing. I'd not swap the current crop of Pro's running it for any of the posters on here. 

11 minutes ago, StudentOwl said:

Harry Kane was 20 before he got his first league appearance for Tottenham (discounting 4 substitute appearances the season before which gave him a total of about 10 minutes on the pitch between them). 

Considering George is only 18, it'd be a bit unwise to want to move on just because right this second there are about half a dozen strikers ahead of him? Two years is a long time in football... he could come on leaps and bounds and/or those players could be gone in two years. After all, of those 7 players you refer to, only one was here two years ago...

I think it's safe to say that people are truly tired of experts telling them how things should work. I'm sure I've heard that said before... 

12 minutes ago, Walt said:

Not sure they can be held responsible for Carlos' tactical choices...

I'm talking about the chaps that coach him every day and monitor his growth, not necessarily just the head honcho

4 minutes ago, Philb125 said:

Which took a team that many said wouldn't make the playoffs to 4th in a very competitive league. Now I'm not saying that I think that it was the best use of our talent/squad but 4th was a good / fair result in my opinion. These professionals seem to know a thing or two?? 

When Pep puts 4 fullbacks on the pitch and none of them defend I see comments divided and when he wins its genius, when he loses its lunacy - hard to argue with his success though. Some times those that are in professional roles do actually know what they are up to even if us mere mortals question it.

After several years of reading and commenting here - I know one thing. I'd not swap the current crop of Pro's running it for any of the posters on here. 

Many also said that we would make the play offs. I'd agree that fourth was a very good achievement but like everyone else they make mistakes... putting square pegs in round holes is a recurring one imo.

You're right it did work for Owen and Rashford BUT  Owen was exceptionally good and Rashford is physically beyond his years.

Even though he's around 6'3" he still hasn't filled out yet, compare him to Rashford physically when Rashford made his Man Utd debut and you'd think that there was 2 or 3 years difference.

To compare Hirst With Owen and Rashford is ridiculous, he'll start playing when he's ready and that's not at the moment.

IMO a 6 month loan spell will bring him on leaps and bounds.