First Game of Season...

30 minutes ago, OughtibridgeOwl said:

I read an article several years ago and there's other restrictions. And it's ridiculous. I think it said either Norwich or Ipswich couldn't be away when a certain team was at away. And the two clubs were worlds apart. Midlands or London I think. It was something to do with train stations and there's a chance that fans would be at the same station. 

Ill tey ans find the article again. 

Here you go.

A few more details than that Guardian article:

https://www.quora.com/How-are-fixtures-of-English-Premier-League-made-Is-there-a-criteria-for-it-or-is-it-just-randomly-made

Edited by Neal M

I move a lot of concrete on the QVC.

17 hours ago, Harrysgame said:

Are the fixtures actually random or do they add restrictions other than two clubs from same town at home? Would prefer a "easier" home or away have to get off to a good start through Aug / Sept, otherwise can see CC under pressure and DC will not be patient this time.

The season matches are all planned by the FA , teams like Millwall after being promoted and say they have had a lot of trouble in the lower league they will

more than likely send them away to a bigger club who can A , accommodate them and B, have a good record of crowd control , they wont I would think send them to say Brentford on the opening game of the season after they just gained promotion , same it would be very unlikely they would have us v Dem blades on the opening game of the season or on the last day , or boxing day or new years day , easter etc as they know its a pressure cooker match for the police and stewards to maintain order .

Also around new year and xmas they try and keep teams local as they can to their home towns , because of fan movement and transport as the FA want the cut of the gate money also , hence another reason you don't see Derby Games around peak periods as they know they can sell out tickets whom ever , hence why we will more than likely get leeds or Barnsley at the start of December when attendances are low and they need a reason to get a crowd in , a lot of good fixtures can be seen end of November start of December for this reason . Commercial and safety denote the fixture list this is why I think this year our last game will be away to some club they think will be going down and they know Wednesday are the running for promotion and we can take on mass 10,000 plus to a ground if like that ,

14 hours ago, OughtibridgeOwl said:

I read an article several years ago and there's other restrictions. And it's ridiculous. I think it said either Norwich or Ipswich couldn't be away when a certain team was at away. And the two clubs were worlds apart. Midlands or London I think. It was something to do with train stations and there's a chance that fans would be at the same station. 

Think it was something daft like Ipswich and Norwich could not be home on the same day, but Colchester ask not be at home the same day as Ipswich. Southend in turn are not at home same day as Colchester or West Ham....

I think police have a say about who can't clash, but also clubs can ask to not be at home as certain others - for instance a smaller club may wish to avoid playing the same day as a big local club as they may lose fans to them.

19 hours ago, OughtibridgeOwl said:

Find it amazing it is not the 70's anymore with football special trains, the football world has moved on. Not even any issues with the Sheffield derbies no, you would have thought there were bigger issues for the Police to deal with than running around aggressively  pointing at people.