Hutch's boro link

6 hours ago, Adam Reachs left peg said:

See monk has made him top priority as his first signing for boro hopefully just nonsense but maybe part of the Ayala deal ? 

Along with Westwood , Lees and Lee , Hutch is the core of our team . These four will never be sold. 

The Smoggies can feck off 

Carlos needs to decide what system to deploy next seaon. Not sure I want Hutch in a midfield 2, like other posters say, he drops too deep leaving the other midfielder with too much to do. I am not hugely keen on him partnering Lees in a 4-4-2 as we lack a bit of height in there. We got done several times in the air by the opposition earlier last season. If we play with a back 3, I think Hutch would thrive playing in the middle. I think he could make this position his own and would be one of the best players in the division. 

3 hours ago, Almat said:

Really tried not to say because I'd mislaid my tin hat but found it again so here goes....Hutch simply isn't big enough to play CB. 

Mascherano is 5ft 8 1/2.

Hutch has a hell of a leap on him - like Hirsty who was 5'11" which is half an inch shorter than Hutch.

Edited by rickygoo

3 hours ago, Saxondale said:

How come Nuhiu is 6'4 but jumps 5'8 then?

He doesn't have a helluva leap on him. Keegan was a great header but a tich. Height and good in the air don't necessarily go together.  Movement, concentration and athleticism all play a part too. 

if any of our midfielders can go its jones and bannan  you just cant expect to do anything with those 2 in centre midfield . bannan I think even I could score more than him 1 last season ,I think if I stand in penalty box it might hit me on back side and go in ,really need a midfielder with at least 10 goals a season and someone who can get box to box . midfield is certainly our weak link.

12 minutes ago, bedfordowl said:

Don't understand why so many would get rid of bannan. Been a great player for us for a couple of seasons now. 

Yes one of our best and most important players. Outstanding two seasons when played CM. 

The workload he carried this season was remarkable. 

Lee, Bannan, Hutch, Abdi are all very good midfielders for this league.

The problem is trying to get a decent pairing out of them that works together.

Lee and Bannan have good energy, creativity and work ethic. But lack that strength and bite.

Abdi with Bannan or Lee would be similar to above, but less energy....with more creativity from Abdi.

Hutch would add the bite if paired with any of the above, but he sits too deep and it leaves the other player isolated and outnumbered. He also doesn't have the creativity needed for a CM.

BUT, if we play Hutch plus 2 of the above, in a 3-5-2 formation, we could solve our midfield problems. I think thats why most on here seem to think 3-5-2 or something similar would be the way to go.

20 hours ago, cookeh said:

Like the guy, love his passion, but if a decent offer came in i wouldn't be too upset if he went. Defensive mid is a position we need to improve on this summer, as is center back. That's going to push Sam down the pecking order and likely leave him as a bench player for us (when fit). We can't just hang onto players because we like them as people and appreciate what they've done in the past, the club needs to move forwards.

So signing better players then getting rid of the replaced might improve the team but what about the squad? Need good players to cover...

Hutchinson as a footballer needs to take the emotion out of any potential decision. More than most, he is one tackle away from career over. If Boro offered him a longer contract, on considerably more money, he should snap their hands off. And as good a player as Hutchinson is, if we got offered a big fee, we should do the same. 

We've got far more games out of this lad than I ever thought we would. And he needs to make centre half his position. It will probably lengthen his career by 3 or 4 years. 

3 hours ago, slinger208b said:

So signing better players then getting rid of the replaced might improve the team but what about the squad? Need good players to cover...

who do we not have capable cover for? we were reasonably well stocked all over the pitch last season. Left back maybe, but i still think fox is capable of coming good. we've created a hole at center back by letting sasso go.. but other than that our cover is capable of stepping up.

you can't just force people to stay at the club. bannan's a happy bunny right now, but if you put him on the bench for 20 games he'd be looking to leave. he wants to play first team football and has his international career to think about. you might want to rotate people out of being starting 11 players to being back ups, but they probably wont want to do that and ultimately will demand a move. so.. nice dream, but it's not realistic.

we currently have a pretty solid squad, but need a first choice center back, probably a back up (given that loovens and hutch will probably get injured). then we're looking at positions we can easily upgrade. right wing is an obvious one, tho it would would pretty much make it a certainty that wallace would leave at the end of the season. the other postion is defensive mid. people knock jones, but he settled in well in the 2nd half of the season and was pretty efficient. we should look for a new first choice probably, given jones' age and hutch's injuries tho. we might just hang onto both, as jones is old and seemed reasonably ok with being a rotation player this season, and hutch is probably needed at centerback. if we sign a new first choice  defensive mid and a new center back, i don't expect hutch to stick around too long tho. he's got his career back and should enjoy every game he can play. best of luck to him.

23 hours ago, cookeh said:

Like the guy, love his passion, but if a decent offer came in i wouldn't be too upset if he went. Defensive mid is a position we need to improve on this summer, as is center back. That's going to push Sam down the pecking order and likely leave him as a bench player for us (when fit). We can't just hang onto players because we like them as people and appreciate what they've done in the past, the club needs to move forwards.

As a defensive midfielder Hutch is as good as you will get at this level. There is no way we will bring in anyone who is better at that role.

The question is more whether we can afford to play an all out defensive midfielder in a 4 man midfield. The answer to that is probably no but that has no reflection whatsoever on Hutch's ability.

5 hours ago, trev said:

Lee, Bannan, Hutch, Abdi are all very good midfielders for this league.

The problem is trying to get a decent pairing out of them that works together.

Lee and Bannan have good energy, creativity and work ethic. But lack that strength and bite.

Abdi with Bannan or Lee would be similar to above, but less energy....with more creativity from Abdi.

Hutch would add the bite if paired with any of the above, but he sits too deep and it leaves the other player isolated and outnumbered. He also doesn't have the creativity needed for a CM.

BUT, if we play Hutch plus 2 of the above, in a 3-5-2 formation, we could solve our midfield problems. I think thats why most on here seem to think 3-5-2 or something similar would be the way to go.

Agreed. If we are to change formation this would be the way to go. Get's the best out of our midfield and also keeps 2 up front which pretty much all of our strikers need.

22 hours ago, parkerowl said:

Have a day off, He's worth about £4m.

What he's worth and what you'd make someone pay are two different things.

Personally I think one of the best midfielders in the division should be worth alot more than £4m! 

4 minutes ago, NorthernOwl said:

As a defensive midfielder Hutch is as good as you will get at this level.

Really tho? I know we all love him for his commitment and he's a good player at this level, no question.. But from last seasons championship clubs i'd rather have mo diame..  or dale stephens.. or kevin mcdonald.. or danny williams.. or george thorne.. or the incoming lee cattermole, n'dong or huddlestone. Kayal might be on the list too, if i didn't still hate him for that body check on Nando. And there's others.. who are at worst on apar with Sam:  Tettey, Jedinak, Mulumbu, Bridcutt, Saiss, Colback, Hogg..

There are better players than a all of our players in this league. Infact i can only think of one wednesday player who would be in the top 5 of players in their position last season, and that's westwood.

we do need to be careful that we don't overrate our own player purely because they're our players.