Hutch's boro link

35 minutes ago, cookeh said:

Like the guy, love his passion, but if a decent offer came in i wouldn't be too upset if he went. Defensive mid is a position we need to improve on this summer, as is center back. That's going to push Sam down the pecking order and likely leave him as a bench player for us (when fit). We can't just hang onto players because we like them as people and appreciate what they've done in the past, the club needs to move forwards.

Disagree IMO Sam is one of the best midfielders in the championship and would be very hard to replace 

keeping him is a must 

55 minutes ago, Ballmeist said:

Wouldn't be adverse to him moving on providing we could pick up a combative central midfielder that can also be creative. 

I'm sure most wouldn't want to see him leave but something has to change because at the moment we have the following;

Bannan - Good passer, awful shot, lightweight in defensive duties

Lee - Good all round but lightweight in defensive duties

Hutch - Good all round without doing anything special. Not much offered going forward. Has a tendency to drop too deep to the detriment of the team

Jones - Average. Doesn't offer anything going forward

Abdi - Injured and rarely plays in the middle

Whatever combination of the above we're always missing something. Someone like Diame might be able to offer strength and muscle, whilst also chipping in with goals and assists.

Edit to say I'd happily keep him if we were to play him at centre back all of next season. 

You forgot Melo...

Just now, parkerowl said:

For the right money i'd sell.

We went on some very very good runs of form without him last season and there's always a red waiting to happen with Hutch. If it allows us to wheel and deal i'd be up for it.

I think the good run was more to do with hooper coming back than Sam being out 

its creating clear cut chances we struggled with last yr 

our defensive record would suggest our poor form was more down to the attacking play than the defensive 

Just now, bedfordowl said:

I think the good run was more to do with hooper coming back than Sam being out 

its creating clear cut chances we struggled with last yr 

our defensive record would suggest our poor form was more down to the attacking play than the defensive 

Maybe, but shows we can cope without him. making him less important.

23 minutes ago, SBOwl said:

Bruce wants to pair him up front with Kodjia.

I've heard he'll offer around 2 million but we want Hourihane coming the other way.

"You've heard" - aka read on twitter from an account with 0 followers by any chance?

1 hour ago, kilbyj said:

Might start an unsubstantiated BS rumour on Twitter and see how long it takes to land on here.

Any suggestions?

All in the name of science of course, an experiment!

Westwood to everton !.

It's a shame some people feel we should let him go. Hutchinson is one of the best Wednesday players of the last 20 years IMO but has become another casualty of Carlos' tactics. He is exactly what we need in a midfielder: (Fairly) big and strong, combative, energetic and can pick a pass.

I'm pretty sure he has been instructed all season to drop back towards centre half when we're in possession to accommodate carlos' wing back obsession, which has contributed to all sorts of problems all over the pitch. It leaves Bannan all alone in the middle, no defensive cover out wide, and forces the wingers inside instead of creating chances on the flanks. The craziest thing about it is both full back positions are considered our weakest links in the team! If we let the full backs worry about defending, let the wingers get balls in the box from out wide and let the actual central midfielders do their job, then Hutchinson can thrive in our 4-4-2 no problem.

2 hours ago, Bodhidharma said:

Haha. As if.

Not a chance we will sell.

But Hutch has to have a permanent settled role in the team next season.

And in my opinion that has to be defence.

Completely agree................apart from your last point.

We missed him badly when he had his stint at CB.