Hutch's boro link

I like what Hutchinson brings to the team in terms of work-rate, physicality, strength, resolve and leadership.  Plus I'd prefer not to sell players to promotion rivals (which Boro should be).

But his persistent injuries and suspensions have been a constant concern since Hutchinson came here under Gray.  

For whatever reason, he's failed to nail down a CB role.  Even though Loovens and Lees have extended periods out of the first team through injury in the last few seasons.

Hutchinson doesn't score/assist enough as a midfielder.  Also we usually play deeper as a team when Hutchinson is our centre midfield two, which restricts our attacking play.  I'd like to see Hutchinson as a CDM in a 4-3-3, but since Carvalhal hardly ever plays that formation, Sam is only likely to be a fringe player here.

As long as we got a decent price (he's got 3 years left on his contract and because Hutchinson is English, we should expect a premium transfer fee) and if the player was replaced adequately, I wouldn't stress too much if we did sell him.  There's a strong possibility that we have already seen this player at the peak.

2 hours ago, Adam Reachs left peg said:

See monk has made him top priority as his first signing for boro hopefully just nonsense but maybe part of the Ayala deal ? 

Where exactly have you seen this? Nowhere on the internet, no articles on it, haven't seen it on social media, where have you plucked this from? 

9 minutes ago, mcmigo said:

Hutch should go to whoever will pay him the most.  He could break down and need to retire at any time, so he needs to make the most of the time he has as a footballer.

You couldn't really begrudge him a massive payday to be fair. He has already had to retire once. That said, I'm sure he's paid quite handsomely as it is.

55 minutes ago, Milan Missing Marble said:

Kyle Bartley is Monk's top priority.

His main attacking target is Cameron Jerome.

10:23

ASSOMBALONGA WANTED

Middlesbrough manager Garry Monk wants to make Britt Assombalonga his first summer signing, according to Sky sources.

Monk took over at the Riverside yesterday and has made signing a striker this priority with Nottingham Forest’s Assombalonga top of his wish list.

5 minutes ago, BARMYARMY2010 said:

ASSOMBALONGA WANTED

Middlesbrough manager Garry Monk wants to make Britt Assombalonga his first summer signing, according to Sky sources.

Monk took over at the Riverside yesterday and has made signing a striker this priority with Nottingham Forest’s Assombalonga top of his wish list.

We will see if Forest sell? 

He would be a impressive signing of intent.

He's a striker I like at this level.

However, I think it's more likely they might bring in Jerome, from what I have read and I think Forest might want to keep him?

41 minutes ago, Almat said:

Really tried not to say because I'd mislaid my tin hat but found it again so here goes....Hutch simply isn't big enough to play CB. 

Shame nobody told Franco Baresi that he was too small to play centre back. Maybe he could have gone on to have a glittering career in the gnome business instead of being one of the greatest ever centre backs. If only?

1 hour ago, BARMYARMY2010 said:

ASSOMBALONGA WANTED

Bet Bamford and Gestede would be happy - both signed in January and probably assume they'll now be first choices back in the Championship  

4 hours ago, OohAahGuyWhittingham said:

It's a shame some people feel we should let him go. Hutchinson is one of the best Wednesday players of the last 20 years IMO but has become another casualty of Carlos' tactics. He is exactly what we need in a midfielder: (Fairly) big and strong, combative, energetic and can pick a pass.

I'm pretty sure he has been instructed all season to drop back towards centre half when we're in possession to accommodate carlos' wing back obsession, which has contributed to all sorts of problems all over the pitch. It leaves Bannan all alone in the middle, no defensive cover out wide, and forces the wingers inside instead of creating chances on the flanks. The craziest thing about it is both full back positions are considered our weakest links in the team! If we let the full backs worry about defending, let the wingers get balls in the box from out wide and let the actual central midfielders do their job, then Hutchinson can thrive in our 4-4-2 no problem.

Really good post.

Im not convinced it's Carlos that keeps him so deep. I do wonder if Hutch isn't naturally more comfortable deep. I think he looks an out and out defender personally, but you may be right that he is under instruction.

However, I think he is too fragile to play CM regularly. He managed 16 matches in midfield this year, and in the last four or five of those he looked absolutely gone to me. I was really surprised Carlos kept playing him. Bordered on cruel.