Scrap the Playoffs ?

We can't go back to the old days of pre-playoffs, as others have said it would mean from Christmas onwards too many teams would be playing for nothing.  We know that because that is what used to happen but I would like to see a re-vamp to the playoffs to give an advantage to the teams who finished 3rd and 4th.  Not because that's where we finished this season but because I think it would be fairer.

To me 3rd should play 4th in a single game with the winner going to Wembley, the loser then would play the winner of 5th v 6th in a single game semi for the right to go to Wembley.

No home and away games but a second chance for 3rd or 4th to make it to the final as a reward for finishing higher up the table.

Edited by ponym110

I'm pro playoff but I wonder if there shouldn't be another scenario, I can't recall from memory if this has ever happened but if the team finishing 3rd is a significant number of points above 4th (8-10 maybe) at seasons end that should nullify the playoff positions? Just a thought.

46 minutes ago, ponym110 said:

We can't go back to the old days of pre-playoffs, as others have said it would mean from Christmas onwards too many teams would be playing for nothing.  We know that because that is what used to happen but I would like to see a re-vamp to the playoffs to give an advantage to the teams who finished 3rd and 4th.  Not because that's where we finished this season but because I think it would be fairer.

To me 3rd should play 4th in a single game with the winner going to Wembley, the loser then would play the winner of 5th v 6th in a single game semi for the right to go to Wembley.

No home and away games but a second chance for 3rd or 4th to make it to the final as a reward for finishing higher up the table.

Definitely should be some advantage given for finishing higher as in rugby league 

2 hours ago, jamiejohn said:

Definitely should be some advantage given for finishing higher as in rugby league 

And IPL Cricket.

Other sports have got it right, the current format adopted in football can, as perfectly illustrated by Huddersfield in 2017, results in teams basically ignoring the league to concentrate on the play-off campaign (not one game early but almost a month early).

That has to be detrimental to the spirit of the competition though, when the prize of winning promotion is as high as it is from the Championship, I can fully appreciate why a club would do it. There simply has to be a way of creating incentive for teams to finish as high as possible (home advantage in the second leg of the Play-Off semi final come a very, very poor second to resting players, avoiding injuries and suspensions - Wagner clearly wasn't bothered in the slightest).

Guest The Horse

Quite a few of football's systems are in place to encourage and reward the attacking team: Higher Goal Difference puts a team above one with a lower GD, if teams are level on GD then the one that's scored the most is placed higher, in a marginal offside decision the attacking team is (supposed) to get the benefit of the doubt and of course - winning a game gets three points rather than the previous two points of many years ago.

Following on from this, there has to be more of an incentive for teams finishing higher in the play-offs. As said above, the two higher placed sides playing a one-off at home is a great idea.

However, there is still the big question of how to avoid teams settling for penalties (in any knock out match) to which so far fifa can't find a better method of settling a match. 

Just how do you encourage attacking play in a one-off? The Golden Goal idea never took off as teams were too scared to be left vulnerable. 

Someone mentioned elsewhere the notion of taking penalties first then playing the game. If all square after 90 mins then the team that won the shoot out goes through. This way at least will encourage one team to go for it and will ensure that the games are never flat.

Unless I'm missing something glaringly obviously wrong with that idea that will still result in dull games? 

I imagine relegation playoffs could be a right laugh for the impartial observer. Imagine knowing that the only way to avoid the drop is to win the playoffs - the tension would be unbearable! Also, rather than the final being held at Wembley, the FA should choose the crappiest, most run-down stadium from the level the losing team will be playing at next season and sell a decent portion of the tickets to the fans of this third team, whose job it is to intimidate, mock and unnerve both teams throughout the game.

:duntmatter:

5 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

I imagine relegation playoffs could be a right laugh for the impartial observer. Imagine knowing that the only way to avoid the drop is to win the playoffs - the tension would be unbearable! Also, rather than the final being held at Wembley, the FA should choose the crappiest, most run-down stadium from the level the losing team will be playing at next season and sell a decent portion of the tickets to the fans of this third team, whose job it is to intimidate, mock and unnerve both teams throughout the game.

:duntmatter:

Aye, make the blunts play-off for relegation against Burton with the final held in Rhyl. Have Nigel Clough laughing at them as they get slowly tortured. Sheffield Wednesday fans should be given a free allocation of tickets to support Burton and take along a few inflatable fire escapes to wave around.

:manager:

I've spent the last few years defending the playoffs to my premier league team supporter friends, but now we've had two defeats I can see they aren't always fantastic.

one thing for sure is from now on if we are in or challenging for a playoff place I won't be as excited about it as I have been before. For me it's top two gets promotion, or it's unlikely to happen for us

6 minutes ago, Dronfield_SWFC said:

For me the team that finishes 3rd goes straight to wembley - 4th v 5th one off tie at 4th ground

My favoured method is 6th and 5th play a one-off match with 5th place having home advantage on virtue of finishing higher, the winner plays the 4th place team in a one-off match with 4th place having home advantage, the winner of that tie then plays the team who finished 3rd at Wembley.

To win the play-offs: 6th and 5th place would have to play three games, 4th place would have to play two games and 3rd place would only have to the play the final. That would give real incentive for teams to aim for the highest position possible in the league instead of just accepting any place between 3rd and 6th.

play offs keep the season alive for a greater number of clubs than back in the day of the top 3 go up BUT  there really should be some reward for the club that finishes 3rd .the system used in the IPL would be the fairest way failing that if the scores are level the highest placed side wins .......3 of the clubs in this seasons matches have shown no real attacking intent and ambition to win the games and seemed happy to take there chance in the lottery of penalties.which as led to not one good game in the 5 matches that took place ....do away with pens would at least make two of the clubs play with some ambition as would the final with the lower placed team having to go for it .

9 hours ago, wednesdaylander said:

So Huddersfield have just been promoted  to the Premier League, having finished 5th in the Championship with a minus goal difference and.not won a SINGLE play-off game. I know money is the be all and end all in football these days, but is it really in English football's best interests for this to continue ? (and yes I'm biased cos I'm exiled in Huddersfield with Town fans as in-laws - gutted doesn't come close !)  :-( 

Unfortunately for you sometimes statistically anomalies happen you are just gonna have to keep your head down.  Your argument, won't wash with the Huddersfield fans, it will only encourage them to rib you even more.  

1 hour ago, ChinaOwl said:

My favoured method is 6th and 5th play a one-off match with 5th place having home advantage on virtue of finishing higher, the winner plays the 4th place team in a one-off match with 4th place having home advantage, the winner of that tie then plays the team who finished 3rd at Wembley.

To win the play-offs: 6th and 5th place would have to play three games, 4th place would have to play two games and 3rd place would only have to the play the final. That would give real incentive for teams to aim for the highest position possible in the league instead of just accepting any place between 3rd and 6th.

This. Can't say fairer than that. Keeps competition alive within the play off places.

A game in the middle of March of 8th v 7th is a really interesting game with the play offs.

Without the play offs this game would be a non event.

Nearly all the leagues in the football pyramid have play offs now, although I am traditionalist in many ways football would be a lot duller without them.  

10 hours ago, wednesdaylander said:

So Huddersfield have just been promoted  to the Premier League, having finished 5th in the Championship with a minus goal difference and.not won a SINGLE play-off game. I know money is the be all and end all in football these days, but is it really in English football's best interests for this to continue ? (and yes I'm biased cos I'm exiled in Huddersfield with Town fans as in-laws - gutted doesn't come close !)  :-( 

It was just a freak season mate. Just suck it up, we fell short this year. Our day will come!

I'd give each team the choice at the start of the season......do you want top 3 to be promoted or do you want the play offs?

at the end of the season top 2 go up automatically

if you finish 3rd and voted for top 3 then you are up and no play off games.

However if the team that finished 3rd voted for play offs then they take place...and here's where it gets interesting......the 4 teams that qualify are the top 4 teams (outside the top 2) that voted for the play offs - so if you finish 4th, 5th or 6th but voted for a top 3 to go up then you can't have it both ways and you aren't in the play offs either.

would stop teams bleating about them being unfair.

if you had the vote now for us next season which way would you go?

5 hours ago, torryowl said:

3 of the clubs in this seasons matches have shown no real attacking intent and ambition to win the games and seemed happy to take there chance in the lottery of penalties.which as led to not one good game in the 5 matches that took place

I'm intrigued

Who was the team in the play offs that you think showed attacking intent?

As for the play offs and all these crackpot ideas - leave them as they are

Wouldn't scrap them, but would definitely re-jig them to give higher placed teams a better advantage.

QF - 5th v 6th - two legs

SF - 4th v QF winner - two legs

F - 3rd v SF winner - one leg

That way, you get more of an advantage if you finish 3rd or 4th, and the play-offs would still have 5 games, which Sky would insist on. 

If final is drawn, you only have penalties after a replay.