Scrap the Playoffs ?

There were 8 points between Brighton and Reading - 2nd to 3rd

4 points between Reading and us  - 3rd and 4th

Then 1 point separating us in 4th and Fulham in 6th - so  all the play off teams were separated by 5 points 3rd to 6th

This was demonstrated in the closeness of all the games

I like how some people seem to think 4th deserves some kind of advantage now...

I always understood (though disagreed) why some think 3rd place should get some sort of advantage - but 4th?

I kind of like Ian's idea - opt in, or out, of the play offs

Edited by scram

6 minutes ago, KivoOwl said:

Wouldn't scrap them, but would definitely re-jig them to give higher placed teams a better advantage.

QF - 5th v 6th - two legs

SF - 4th v QF winner - two legs

F - 3rd v SF winner - one leg

That way, you get more of an advantage if you finish 3rd or 4th, and the play-offs would still have 5 games, which Sky would insist on. 

If final is drawn, you only have penalties after a replay. 

I'd be worried for the team finishing 3rd that they won't play a competitive game for a while.

Other options below;

• 3rd and 4th teams get the away goals rule - might have seen a less defensive Wednesday at the John Smith's Stadium and therefore a more entertaining game for the neutrals.
  • 3rd and 4th teams get to choose where they wish to play the first leg first. Again, believe Wednesday would have done better vs Huddersfield had we been at home first.
  • 3rd and 4th teams win the tie if the scores are level after both legs.
  • Structure the play-offs so 3rd and 4th only play one leg in a semi-final (they choose home or away) - not sure how you can do that to keep the same number of games (for Sky) without increasing the number of play-off spots though (good thing or a bad thing?).
  • 3rd and 4th teams have a goal start for every 5 points they finish above their semi-final opponents. Might lead to some pretty dull games though as teams protect a lead.

Whatever happens going forward, there has to be an incentive/advantage to finishing higher up the table. Every year you get one of those ridiculous situations like us and Brighton last season by where 6th and 3rd are all equal despite 3rd finishing a bucket load of points in front.

4 hours ago, Ian said:

I'd give each team the choice at the start of the season......do you want top 3 to be promoted or do you want the play offs?

at the end of the season top 2 go up automatically

if you finish 3rd and voted for top 3 then you are up and no play off games.

However if the team that finished 3rd voted for play offs then they take place...and here's where it gets interesting......the 4 teams that qualify are the top 4 teams (outside the top 2) that voted for the play offs - so if you finish 4th, 5th or 6th but voted for a top 3 to go up then you can't have it both ways and you aren't in the play offs either.

would stop teams bleating about them being unfair.

if you had the vote now for us next season which way would you go?

I like it!

Not sure Sky Sports' sponsors would go for it, but never mind.

:duntmatter:

One issue, though: what if almost all teams vote for 3rd place to go up, except the team who actually finished 3rd and those who finished in the relegation zone? You could end up with a relegated team competing in the playoffs!

15 hours ago, wednesdaylander said:

So Huddersfield have just been promoted  to the Premier League, having finished 5th in the Championship with a minus goal difference and.not won a SINGLE play-off game. I know money is the be all and end all in football these days, but is it really in English football's best interests for this to continue ? (and yes I'm biased cos I'm exiled in Huddersfield with Town fans as in-laws - gutted doesn't come close !)  :-( 

When your team wins a play-off final the feeling is completely different, remember Cardiff, when we finished 5th in league 1.

16 hours ago, ChinaOwl said:

No, the powers that be should just make a honest appraisal of the positives and negatives of the current system then make a decision whether adjustments are merited. Forget our game, we lost because of us, not the play-off system. Other things should be considered such as Huddersfield's approach to the play-off and whether it encourages clubs to play weakened teams knowing that there is no real difference regardless of finishing 3rd, 4th, 5th or 6th.

Sooner or later a relegation threatened club will fall victim to clubs in the play-off putting out weakened teams. Don't blame the club that does it - choice of team should be wholly the prerogative of that club's coach or manager. It is more beneficial to look at the reasons why they did it.

Blackburn probaably went down instead of Birmingham due to Udds resting players.

I am as totally f****d off as everyone else that a team who didn't even score in the play offs or final went up but udders were in touching distance of top two for a while and ended up fifth because the second that third place was unattainable Wagner just played a weakened side and didn't care where or who they played in the play offs . If it was top three went up i wouldnt have backed udders not to get third place which would still have seen them go up . Only problem with the play offs is that we ball**d them up . 

2 hours ago, KivoOwl said:

Wouldn't scrap them, but would definitely re-jig them to give higher placed teams a better advantage.

QF - 5th v 6th - two legs

SF - 4th v QF winner - two legs

F - 3rd v SF winner - one leg

That way, you get more of an advantage if you finish 3rd or 4th, and the play-offs would still have 5 games, which Sky would insist on. 

If final is drawn, you only have penalties after a replay. 

Think that idea could work, but it would have to be a single game for the QF and SF.  You can't have one team having to play 5 matches when another only has to play 1.

Maybe in the interest of making it fairer to the 3rd placed team, something like the T20 cricket method would work.

3rd play 4th, winner goes straight to final.

5th plays 6th, then the loser of 3rd vs 4th gets another chance by playing the winner of 5th vs 6th for a spot in the final.

Or just leave it as it is because it's actually brilliant even though we're crap at it.

4 minutes ago, Lee A said:

Think that idea could work, but it would have to be a single game for the QF and SF.  You can't have one team having to play 5 matches when another only has to play 1.

Maybe in the interest of making it fairer to the 3rd placed team, something like the T20 cricket method would work.

5th plays 6th, then the loser of 3rd vs 4th gets another chance by playing the winner of 5th vs 6th for a spot in the final.

Or just leave it as it is because it's actually brilliant even though we're crap at it.

Why do you say we are crap at it?...we've lost 1 out of 8 play off games

9 hours ago, ChinaOwl said:

My favoured method is 6th and 5th play a one-off match with 5th place having home advantage on virtue of finishing higher, the winner plays the 4th place team in a one-off match with 4th place having home advantage, the winner of that tie then plays the team who finished 3rd at Wembley.

To win the play-offs: 6th and 5th place would have to play three games, 4th place would have to play two games and 3rd place would only have to the play the final. That would give real incentive for teams to aim for the highest position possible in the league instead of just accepting any place between 3rd and 6th.

Exactly how I would like it, however sky and their money machine would never let it happen.

1 minute ago, teddybeararmy said:

Exactly how I would like it, however sky and their money machine would never let it happen.

I think the real problem would be the logistics of getting tickets sold. It's already a bit tight when you know the teams likely to be in it never mind the permutations above. Albeit exciting.

17 hours ago, ChinaOwl said:

No, the powers that be should just make a honest appraisal of the positives and negatives of the current system then make a decision whether adjustments are merited. Forget our game, we lost because of us, not the play-off system. Other things should be considered such as Huddersfield's approach to the play-off and whether it encourages clubs to play weakened teams knowing that there is no real difference regardless of finishing 3rd, 4th, 5th or 6th.

Sooner or later a relegation threatened club will fall victim to clubs in the play-off putting out weakened teams. Don't blame the club that does it - choice of team should be wholly the prerogative of that club's coach or manager. It is more beneficial to look at the reasons why they did it.

Yeah. That'll take all of five minutes.

Positives: We make oodles of dosh

Negatives: if we scrap play offs we don't make oodles of dosh.

I know lets have 5 teams in the playoffs then we make oodles more cash..

Edited by mark1948

15 hours ago, Morepork said:

I'm pro playoff but I wonder if there shouldn't be another scenario, I can't recall from memory if this has ever happened but if the team finishing 3rd is a significant number of points above 4th (8-10 maybe) at seasons end that should nullify the playoff positions? Just a thought.

A round robin home and away, six matches. Top two contest the final. This will favour goal-scoring teams as goal difference will count followed by goals scored as in the Wold Cup, no penalties until the final.

30 minutes ago, Lee A said:

That's how they decide the San Marino Championship - give teams a second chance. 

Every round apart from the final is played at the ground of the highest ranked team. 

Game 1 - 3rd v 4th - winner qualifies for final, loser goes into Game 2

Game 2 - Loser of Game 1 v 5th - winner qualifies for SF, loser goes into Game 3

Game 3 - Loser of Game 2 v 6th - winner qualifies for SF, loser eliminated

SF - Winner of Game 2 v Winner of game 3

F - Winner of Game 1 v Winners of SF

Edited by KivoOwl