Carvalhal to Porto

People underestimate the costs in replacing managers. 

If I were DC i'd take the view that CC has finished 4th and 6th, it's his squad, and to recruit a Pardew etc will cost a fortune both in terms of wage, and the inevitable overhaul of squad. 

As a business decision, it makes absolute sense to give Carlos one more shot at it. Some fans just like the idea of change, and the emotion of the whole situation needs stripping out. 

1 minute ago, OutspokenTom said:

If this is true then I think it's best for all involved, it would be a thanks for your efforts, congrats on your new job and we'll get someone else in.

There'd be no sacking, no not offering a new contract and in all, leaving on good terms.

Agree completely. Carlos would get the biggest move of his managerial career on the back of doing a great job with us and we go in a new direction. No bad blood, good for both parties.

Sentiment wise I'd like CC to stay & finish the job, but only if he can find his positive attacking hat from last season. If he's still wearing his negative hat from this season then I'm not too fussed if he goes. My only concern would be who we replace him with. 

Over the past week the English media have linked Carvalhal with potentially taking over at Norwich City, Watford, and Porto. Whilst they may have a better hold on the first two clubs, it’s simply unreasonable to believe the English media know best who Porto are considering for their new manager, with there not even being a vacancy yet.

At this stage, and over the past week, there’s been no talking up of Carvalhal to Porto coming from Portugal. Sure, the English reports have been covered, but just in a matter of fact way, without them being given big weight or prominence in Portugal.

If the Portuguese media thought Carvalhal was potentially on the verge of becoming Porto manager, it would be huge news. There are three daily sports newspaper in Portugal, with a wide circulation, and the links between media and clubs are very strong indeed.

Seems like total paper talk link to story http://sportwitness.co.uk/latest-carlos-carvalhals-future-portugal-sheffield-wednesday-future-doubt/

1 minute ago, soldierboyblue said:

Over the past week the English media have linked Carvalhal with potentially taking over at Norwich City, Watford, and Porto. Whilst they may have a better hold on the first two clubs, it’s simply unreasonable to believe the English media know best who Porto are considering for their new manager, with there not even being a vacancy yet.

At this stage, and over the past week, there’s been no talking up of Carvalhal to Porto coming from Portugal. Sure, the English reports have been covered, but just in a matter of fact way, without them being given big weight or prominence in Portugal.

If the Portuguese media thought Carvalhal was potentially on the verge of becoming Porto manager, it would be huge news. There are three daily sports newspaper in Portugal, with a wide circulation, and the links between media and clubs are very strong indeed.

Seems like total paper talk link to story http://sportwitness.co.uk/latest-carlos-carvalhals-future-portugal-sheffield-wednesday-future-doubt/

They haven't sacked their manager yet in fairness...... Social media also tells a completely different story.

19 minutes ago, MOwl said:

Was in the media last week that Porto are keeping tabs on Carlos as they've had a poor season and are set to sack their manager

Seems like they've been in touch with Carvalhal and his agent this weekend, and our board have told him he's free to go

Be a sad way for him to go because I've loved him here but if true can't begrudge him moving back to Portugal and managing a club the size of Porto

For the umpteenth time,SWFC does not have a board of directors,haven't had since mandaric bought the club,there's an owner and chief exec,with decisions on managers hiring/firing down to the owner.

Having said that,i don't believe for a second that Porto are even looking at him.

7 minutes ago, vulva said:

People underestimate the costs in replacing managers. 

If I were DC i'd take the view that CC has finished 4th and 6th, it's his squad, and to recruit a Pardew etc will cost a fortune both in terms of wage, and the inevitable overhaul of squad. 

As a business decision, it makes absolute sense to give Carlos one more shot at it. Some fans just like the idea of change, and the emotion of the whole situation needs stripping out. 

completely agree.. whilst Carlos has his flaws, I think replacing him would set us back at least a season. We know he's capable of getting us in the play offs, so we'd be putting a lot of faith in a new manager

the grass is not always greener

6 minutes ago, Mr Meadows said:

completely agree.. whilst Carlos has his flaws, I think replacing him would set us back at least a season. We know he's capable of getting us in the play offs, so we'd be putting a lot of faith in a new manager

the grass is not always greener

this ^^^

'Seems... I know not seems'.

Personally think it unlikely. Has his time here (or elsewhere) merited interest from a club the size of Porto?  I know they may not have such an obsessions with 'big name' managers over there as in England, and he is obviously Portuguese, but he must have a good agent if he manages to land that gig. 

8 minutes ago, Ever the pessimist said:

'Seems... I know not seems'.

Personally think it unlikely. Has his time here (or elsewhere) merited interest from a club the size of Porto?  I know they may not have such an obsessions with 'big name' managers over there as in England, and he is obviously Portuguese, but he must have a good agent if he manages to land that gig. 

He's spent 2 seasons with the MASSIVE?!?!

Perfect preparation to manage a European giant!