Summer 2017 non-mega transfer thread

I'd consider loaning a couple of quality youngsters from someone like Chelsea or Man City. It looks like it's going to be tough this summer with the relegated sides, plus the likes of Villa, Norwich and Derby mopping up a lot of decent players for this level. I'm prepared to be patient and surprised, we're one of the better propositions at this level and I'm sure we will get a few decent signings in this summer. It's not the bargain bin days before Chansiri came here.

We might be smart using the loan market well this season to add some pace and youth. Quite a lot of the best players last season at this level were on loan last season. Hopefully we can bring in one or two quality young loanees.

Edited by Milan Missing Marble

40 minutes ago, Milan Missing Marble said:

I'd consider loaning a couple of quality youngsters from someone like Chelsea or Man City. It looks like it's going to be tough this summer with the relegated sides, plus the likes of Villa, Norwich and Derby mopping up a lot of decent players for this level. I'm prepared to be patient and surprised, we're one of the better propositions at this level and I'm sure we will get a few decent signings in this summer. We might be smart using the loan market well this season to add some pace and youth. Quite a lot of the best players last season at this level were on loan last season. Hopefully we can bring in one or two quality young loanees.

Pace and youth, yes please No more seasoned championship players who are unlikely to improve

Just now, gurujuan said:

Pace and youth, yes please No more seasoned championship players who are unlikely to improve

I think we need a mixture ideally.

Some pace and youth is needed but there are also some experienced players out there with energy, good at reading the game, that can give us some extra needed leadership and know how. I'd be happy if we do bring in the likes of Ayala, Whelan or Boyd but I do think we need to mix it up a bit with some pace and youth as well.

39 minutes ago, scram said:

Yet you advocate Grant Hanley ?!?

Only in so much as he is the best, and youngest of the centre backs we've been linked with. If we get someone better, then happy days. Wasn't necessarily thinking of pace and youth when it comes to centre backs, but Hanley would probably be about the right age

44 minutes ago, scram said:

Bog standard lumbering championship centre back

id have thought you'd be railing against such utter mediocrity

As I said, he's the best of those we've been linked with. Can pluck any names out of the air, but of those mentioned, I'd favour him Personally, I don't like much about the direction we've taken in the transfer market recently, but this is how Carlos wants to do it, and to be fair, he's had some success

Edited by gurujuan

11 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Only in so much as he is the best, and youngest of the centre backs we've been linked with. If we get someone better, then happy days. Wasn't necessarily thinking of pace and youth when it comes to centre backs, but Hanley would probably be about the right age

Daniel Ayala to me seems like the best of the defenders we've been linked with so far. There's only around a year's age difference between Hanley and Ayala plus Morrison. It was only a couple of seasons ago Ayala looked like one of the best defenders at this level. Being a good centre back isn't all about pace or youth. Some defenders can read the game intelligently, some age well and being around 26 isn't a veteran age for a defender. I do think we lack pace and youth, and I think we would be smart loaning in someone young from the top flight but in the full back or winger or attacking areas to drive us forward. Whilst a bit of leadership, quality and know how could be what's needed in the centre of defence and in centre midfield, if we can get the right players. But a mix of youth and experienced would be best.

5 minutes ago, Milan Missing Marble said:

Daniel Ayala to me seems like the best of the defenders we've been linked with so far. There's only around a year's age difference between Hanley and Ayala plus Morrison. It was only a couple of seasons ago Ayala looked like one of the best defenders at this level. Being a good centre back isn't all about pace or youth. Some defenders can read the game intelligently, some age well and being around 26 isn't a veteran age for a defender. I do think we lack pace and youth, and I think we would be smart loaning in someone young from the top flight but in the full back or winger or attacking areas to drive us forward. Whilst a bit of leadership, quality and know how could be what's needed in the centre of defence and in centre midfield, if we can get the right players. But a mix of youth and experienced would be best.

All the defenders we have been linked with are good. Wouldn't be disappointed with any of them. All seem like they are natural leaders and all can head the bloody ball out of our 18 yard box. 

Perfect if you ask me.

6 hours ago, Milan Missing Marble said:

I'd consider loaning a couple of quality youngsters from someone like Chelsea or Man City. It looks like it's going to be tough this summer with the relegated sides, plus the likes of Villa, Norwich and Derby mopping up a lot of decent players for this level. I'm prepared to be patient and surprised, we're one of the better propositions at this level and I'm sure we will get a few decent signings in this summer. It's not the bargain bin days before Chansiri came here.

We might be smart using the loan market well this season to add some pace and youth. Quite a lot of the best players last season at this level were on loan last season. Hopefully we can bring in one or two quality young loanees.

I'm sure it won't have gone unnoticed that Carlos is not the best when it comes to giving loan players game time? WTF:

7 hours ago, bigash_swfc said:

Wow,

Keogh has played 219 games since 2012.

Now, I'm pretty sure Morrison, Loovens, Hanley or Ayala come no where near that stat.

(Bigging him up while hoping our names in the hat to sign Tomas Kalas, but can't see it happening)

Yes I spotted that. 

Doesnt get injured or suspended. Plays 40+ games, full 90 minutes, and trusted as first-choice by Rowett, Clement, McLaren and Clough. Derby's defensive record has been decent, conceding similar totals to us.

He will be 31 at the start of the season. Three years younger than Glenn.

I haven't seen enough of him to have an opinion if any better than Loovens, but he will have to be some player to be an improvement on a fine CB.

9 hours ago, BarnsleyOwl96 said:

Wisdom a right back so means nothing but another good signing to add to Curtis Davies for derby. Keogh is arguably better than loovens but not by much , could do with better really unless we sign him + 1 other.

Played the entire season at Red Bull Salzburg last year as a central defender and said whilst he could still play right back he sees his future as a centre half , and they already have a very good right back in Christie.

2 very good signings by Rowett....................the type of signings i hoped we would be making.

Keogh, Hanley, Morrison all average and we could do much better. Ayala on the other hand is one I would definitely look to get in - very good centre back assuming he stays fit. 

As for the rest of the team, we need pace out wide, height in the middle and somebody who can get good quality crosses in off either foot. 

Beats me who we can aim for..

1 hour ago, Holmowl said:

Yes I spotted that. 

Doesnt get injured or suspended. Plays 40+ games, full 90 minutes, and trusted as first-choice by Rowett, Clement, McLaren and Clough. Derby's defensive record has been decent, conceding similar totals to us.

He will be 31 at the start of the season. Three years younger than Glenn.

I haven't seen enough of him to have an opinion if any better than Loovens, but he will have to be some player to be an improvement on a fine CB.

This.  I don't really understand the seeming dislike to Keogh by some on here.

He's a nightmare to come up against for most players in this league and if we get him for the right price what's to lose?