Summer 2017 non-mega transfer thread

4 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

I sort of agree with this, but it isn't Carlos's style (or whoever is responsible for recruitment) Look at our approach to other areas, we went for experience for our back up midfielders in Jones and Abdi, ditto up front where we already had the experience of Fletcher and Hooper, we then bring in Rhodes and Winnall Carlos doesn't seem to trust young players, preferring to have experience, even in reserve. 

We've got plenty of experience, bringing in a couple of youngsters would benefit them, I would think. Like I said before, we really should bring in a mix of both experience/know how and youth/pace.

16 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

I sort of agree with this, but it isn't Carlos's style (or whoever is responsible for recruitment) Look at our approach to other areas, we went for experience for our back up midfielders in Jones and Abdi, ditto up front where we already had the experience of Fletcher and Hooper, we then bring in Rhodes and Winnall Carlos doesn't seem to trust young players, preferring to have experience, even in reserve. 

How about Reach, Fox, Jaoa or Sasso? 

41 minutes ago, Bluesteel said:

I don't think there are many 7-10m English centre halves around that we would realistically get anyway. Unless Ayala is happening, I was suggesting (if were after two) looking at an established player who is a bit older such as Keogh or Morrison but also look at some of the others in the football league and beyond that bigger clubs are taking a look at. Some of them will be going for a lot less than 7m but if they turn out to be decent they could be worth a lot more. If they don't make it then they were a relatively cheap squad filler.

Problem is though all you have to do is add the word potential to the name any lower league young player nowadays and you can add 3 or 4 million right away.

21 minutes ago, Milan Missing Marble said:

We've got plenty of experience, bringing in a couple of youngsters would benefit them, I would think. Like I said before, we really should bring in a mix of both experience/know how and youth/pace.

Stobbs, Hirst, Lee, O'grady, Penney, Preston all young player we have with a bit of potential and all no where near first team action. Why bring in more to add to the list. Like I said before if you want the talent now you have to pay through the roof for it unfortunately. Something which we ain't going to do.

18 minutes ago, pazowl55 said:

Stobbs, Hirst, Lee, O'grady, Penney, Preston all young player we have with a bit of potential and all no where near first team action. Why bring in more to add to the list. Like I said before if you want the talent now you have to pay through the roof for it unfortunately. Something which we ain't going to do.

I'd bring in a quality young loanee from the top flight. Someone suitable for the Championship but not quite ready for the top flight. Quite a few of the stand out players at this level last season, were on loan from top flight clubs. Bringing in just one or two like that, could save Chansiri millions. We've already got plenty of experience to help any youngsters we bring in, and it could mean that money Chansiri saves helps Carlos bring in more quality with more to spend on just 2 or 3 quality proven players rather than on 4, 5 or 6?

Edited by Milan Missing Marble

34 minutes ago, pazowl55 said:

Problem is though all you have to do is add the word potential to the name any lower league young player nowadays and you can add 3 or 4 million right away.

Does this mean we can call Dave. Atdhe Nuhiu Potential and we can add 8 million as he is top end championship?:picnic:

Edited by Hawkowl

1 minute ago, Milan Missing Marble said:

I'd bring in a quality young loanee from the top flight. Someone suitable for the Championship but not quite ready for the top flight. Quite a few of the stand out players at this level were on loan from top flight clubs. Bringing in just one or two like that, could save Chansiri millions, we've already got plenty of experience to help any youngsters, and it could mean that money Chansiri saved helps Carlos bring in more quality with more to spend on just 2 or 3 quality proven players rather than on 4, 5 or 6?

Thing is

When you bring in young loan players, their clubs expect them to play, and not be sat on the bench

Imagine being the player who makes way for a loanee and being sat on the bench while we develop young players for other clubs

Whoever makes way will throw in a transfer request before you can blink

It would create too much discord at our club

We have enough players of our own, to be letting them rot on the bench

Just a bloke, who used up all his luck in one go when he met his wife.

8 minutes ago, Milan Missing Marble said:

I'd bring in a quality young loanee from the top flight. Someone suitable for the Championship but not quite ready for the top flight. Quite a few of the stand out players at this level last season, were on loan from top flight clubs. Bringing in just one or two like that, could save Chansiri millions. We've already got plenty of experience to help any youngsters we bring in, and it could mean that money Chansiri saves helps Carlos bring in more quality with more to spend on just 2 or 3 quality proven players rather than on 4, 5 or 6?

If we bring in a ready made young player on loan or even buy one than I am all for that just don't what to spend what limited money we have on potential.

1 hour ago, pazowl55 said:

Couple of non league lads are getting attention but I doubt they'd fetch that yet 

11 minutes ago, Bluesteel said:

Couple of non league lads are getting attention but I doubt they'd fetch that yet 

Probably not but you know what I mean. Last transfer window wasn't it Northampton or someone like that who turned down 4 million for one of their players.

2 minutes ago, pazowl55 said:

Probably not but you know what I mean. Last transfer window wasn't it Northampton or someone like that who turned down 4 million for one of their players.

I think it was Scunthorpe for Van Veen. A terrible decision 

4 hours ago, gurujuan said:

The notion that Abdi was brought in as experienced back up  absurd. In his favoured position he should be the second name on the team sheet behind Westwood.

4 hours ago, bigash_swfc said:

Keogh - Irvine - Sako - Rhodes - Medical Staff.

Would be over the moon.

Possibly another young Premier League loan winger like Tom Lawrence.

I'd be delighted with that apart from Keogh.

I'd be over the moon if we got Irvine and Lawrence.

I think we will end up with something like Ayala; Hanley, Whelan, Boyd, Watkins and Rhodes or similar to those? I'd be happy with something like that. However, it will be difficult because the teams coming down will spend big, along with a few others who missed out last season, and it seems a fair few quality players at this level will be mopped up by the mega rich top flight clubs too.

Edited by Milan Missing Marble

5 hours ago, Blue and white said:

The notion that Abdi was brought in as experienced back up  absurd. In his favoured position he should be the second name on the team sheet behind Westwood.

For me also, Abdi and Forestieri would always be in my team. However, based on what we've seen so far, him and another expensive signing, Rhodes, look like remaining bit part players in this system. Absurd, yes definitely, it's like the person responsible for recruitment, and Carlos, never speak