Summer 2017 non-mega transfer thread

With the exception of Marquis and Akinde who are a bit older, I hope we are looking at some of these up and comers to supplement the likes of Richard Keogh and co.

There are several defenders mentioned in this article who I have heard good things about, we've seen similar players make the step up at Barnsley. Having a younger understudy to our current centre backs rather than 4 players expecting game time each week would make sense. Ollie Watkins' versatility pace and strength makes him stand out too.

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/transfer-news-ollie-watkins-lower-13098099

1 hour ago, Bluesteel said:

It wouldn't even cover our costs on him. We'd have to pay Barnsley that if we went up anyway.

Whilst all the focus is on Rhodes I think Winnall could have another good season, he's less bothered about the approach play and just wants to get a shot away. He's not as polished as the others but that desperation to score is great.

Why would we pay Barnsley a fee for going up when the player in question wouldn't even be ours? Surely, as soon as a player is sold, any future payments based on performance go out of the window?

Edited by oh_weds_we_love_you

Really hope we keep Winnall, he's obviously up against it in terms of securing a starting place with the likes of Hooper, Rhodes and Fletcher in the squad but I did feel for him at times last season. He scores against Barnsley then gets dropped for the next however many games and then scores on the final day and isn't even brought on in the second leg when we need a goal. 

I can see him being tempted with a move away due to this but I genuinely feel he has something to offer the team and hope he can fight his way into the team next season.

39 minutes ago, oh_weds_we_love_you said:

Why would we pay Barnsley a fee for going up when the player in question wouldn't even be ours? Surely, as soon as a player is sold, any future payments based on performance go out of the window?

Not sure, depends on the deal. But a lot of clubs have payments to make on players they no longer own. It has Sunderland in a mess.

If we agreed a price for Winnall that was based on a price of X with the majority deferred in our favour due to his contract situation, we may still be obliged to pay that money. I have no idea but if anyone wanted to buy him they may need to cover that plus his 17k wages, doubt wilder will like those figures

Edited by Bluesteel

1 hour ago, Bluesteel said:

Not sure, depends on the deal. But a lot of clubs have payments to make on players they no longer own. It has Sunderland in a mess.

If we agreed a price for Winnall that was based on a price of X with the majority deferred in our favour due to his contract situation, we may still be obliged to pay that money. I have no idea but if anyone wanted to buy him they may need to cover that plus his 17k wages, doubt wilder will like those figures

I would assume Sunderland's problem is due to installments (paying £10m for a player at £2m a year for 5 years) rather than performance-related payments. For example, if we owed Barnsley £500k should Winnall get a cap for England, we certainly wouldn't owe it them if got that England cap as a Sheffield United player!

As for Winnall to United, as you say his salary alone is out of their reach - let alone the fee we'd want!

4 hours ago, Saxondale said:

This was on twitter yesterday.

IMG_9687.PNG

I'm a fan of CC but the way Winnall has been treated is ridoculous & you couldn't blame him for wanting out of given the option. But at £2.5m we would be stupid.

Based on his performances before joining us he's a potential 20 goal a season championship striker if he's given the games. That should command at least £5m in the current transfer market if not more.

26 minutes ago, Bloxwich Owl said:

Young Manchester City winger Bersant Celina has confirmed he plans to play in the Championship next season - and will choose between Ipswich, Bolton and Leeds.

We could get in there for young Diaz, the teenager City signed from Malaga According to my friend whose son was at the Malaga academy, he's a potential superstar Can play wide, or as a number ten

12 minutes ago, Bluesteel said:

Shows it's worth looking for some centre halves with resale value or bringing one through. Their price is inflated at the moment, as the England squad is so poor too their value will be even higher if they get capped.

That's the risk you take though they are already inflated enough as it is. If we wanted one now we are already talking 7-10 million. Yes granted he may be worth 25 million in 2 years time. but we can't take the chance on him not being any good now and risking such a heafty sum.

Hence why I think Carlos is going for ready made championship centre back's that are half the value that we know will perform.

5 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

We could get in there for young Diaz, the teenager City signed from Malaga According to my friend whose son was at the Malaga academy, he's a potential superstar Can play wide, or as a number ten

Unlike Billy Sharp who plays as a very wide number 9.  :duntmatter:

8 hours ago, Milan Missing Marble said:

Burton Albion have had a £250,000 bid rejected for St Mirren's Scottish U21 star Lewis Morgan. He's also a target for Bristol City and Sheffield United. He's a goalscoring winger.

Saw him when I went to watch Saints at Queen of the South a few months back. Thought he was man of the match, got in behind time after time and scared his full back to death. That said, he's very young, hasn't played a huge amount of games and is therefore pretty inconsistent. Barnsley have done better in signing St Mirren's central midfield Stevie Mallan for the same price as he's had a lot more seasoning. Definitely wouldn't rate Morgan as ready to be parachuted in the Championship.

He'll be young player of the year and be worth £10 million a year from now, just you watch :ph34r:

1 hour ago, pazowl55 said:

That's the risk you take though they are already inflated enough as it is. If we wanted one now we are already talking 7-10 million. Yes granted he may be worth 25 million in 2 years time. but we can't take the chance on him not being any good now and risking such a heafty sum.

Hence why I think Carlos is going for ready made championship centre back's that are half the value that we know will perform.

I don't think there are many 7-10m English centre halves around that we would realistically get anyway. Unless Ayala is happening, I was suggesting (if were after two) looking at an established player who is a bit older such as Keogh or Morrison but also look at some of the others in the football league and beyond that bigger clubs are taking a look at. Some of them will be going for a lot less than 7m but if they turn out to be decent they could be worth a lot more. If they don't make it then they were a relatively cheap squad filler.

Edited by Bluesteel

55 minutes ago, Bluesteel said:

I don't think there are many 7-10m English centre halves around that we would realistically get anyway. Unless Ayala is happening, I was suggesting (if were after two) looking at an established player who is a bit older such as Keogh or Morrison but also look at some of the others in the football league and beyond that bigger clubs are taking a look at. Some of them will be going for a lot less than 7m but if they turn out to be decent they could be worth a lot more. If they don't make it then they were a relatively cheap squad filler.

I sort of agree with this, but it isn't Carlos's style (or whoever is responsible for recruitment) Look at our approach to other areas, we went for experience for our back up midfielders in Jones and Abdi, ditto up front where we already had the experience of Fletcher and Hooper, we then bring in Rhodes and Winnall Carlos doesn't seem to trust young players, preferring to have experience, even in reserve. 

Edited by gurujuan