Summer 2017 non-mega transfer thread

11 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

For me also, Abdi and Forestieri would always be in my team. However, based on what we've seen so far, him and another expensive signing, Rhodes, look like remaining bit part players in this system. Absurd, yes definitely, it's like the person responsible for recruitment, and Carlos, never speak

Totally agree, it definatly needs sorting this window and the 4-5 player Carlos speaks of needs to have been properly identified and there role needs to have been factored into how we intend to line up and play.

Edited by Blue and white

17 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

For me also, Abdi and Forestieri would always be in my team. However, based on what we've seen so far, him and another expensive signing, Rhodes, look like remaining bit part players in this system. Absurd, yes definitely, it's like the person responsible for recruitment, and Carlos, never speak

Completely forgot about Abdi. Be like a new signing.

I actually wonder who is responsible for recruitment. Do we still use an outside agency, or is it, or are they, permanent employees of the club There has been a definite shift in policy from year ones recruitment, to the recruitment we witnessed last season. Carlos continues to claim that he has the final say on transfers, but I don't believe that to be the case. Maybe he had more input in that first season, because at least those players resemble players he will have known about. Not many of last years batch have held down regular places, apart from perhaps Reach, and it's arguable that it's only his versatility that got him so much game time. I don't have a clue who is really responsible for the players we bring in now. Actually, that's not true, there are a couple of clues. Whoever it is, are probably Scottish, and last had an interest in championship football about five years ago

20 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

I actually wonder who is responsible for recruitment. Do we still use an outside agency, or is it, or are they, permanent employees of the club There has been a definite shift in policy from year ones recruitment, to the recruitment we witnessed last season. Carlos continues to claim that he has the final say on transfers, but I don't believe that to be the case. Maybe he had more input in that first season, because at least those players resemble players he will have known about. Not many of last years batch have held down regular places, apart from perhaps Reach, and it's arguable that it's only his versatility that got him so much game time. I don't have a clue who is really responsible for the players we bring in now. Actually, that's not true, there are a couple of clues. Whoever it is, are probably Scottish, and last had an interest in championship football about five years ago

Its irrelevant though.

A manager works with the players at his disposal on 31st August and 31st Jan. It doesn't matter who chose them.

Did Carlos get the best out of the players we have acquired, or did he play several out of position for a large proportion of the season and the semi?

16 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

Its irrelevant though.

A manager works with the players at his disposal on 31st August and 31st Jan. It doesn't matter who chose them.

Did Carlos get the best out of the players we have acquired, or did he play several out of position for a large proportion of the season and the semi?

When all is said and done, I think 4th spot was about right for last season. 

Some under/over achieved but I think 4th if offered pre season last year was fair achievement to over achievement especially considering FF early season antics, injuries to key personal etc. 

this season coming I'd hope for more again. I think we are only one or two signings away from having a squad capable of challenging for top two.

just hope we get those signed up soon and everyone is fit and firing from day one! 

59 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

Its irrelevant though.

With respect though, it's not irrelevent Can you imagine Pep at Man City being given Troy Deeney as the focal point of his attack?

Yes, it's the modern way, coaches coach and, you're right, they work the players at their disposal but there surely has to be some correlation between that recruitment, and what the coach is trying to do.

Now I just don't know what the thinking was with Abdi, a great player, if used in the right way. The problem is, you've seen how we play, and the demands put on the midfield two. Does Abdi, from what we know about him, look as if he could form part of such a pairing? From what I've seen, he does not. Then take Jordan Rhodes. We all know how he works best, as part of a pair, up alongside a hard running big man. Although nominally we play 4-4-2, it rarely entails two up. It's more one up, with a link man like Hooper or Forestieri. Sure there will be games where Carlos might try a straight two up, and even games where we might get away with using Abdi in midfield, but those games will be few and far between. With both players costing, not an insignificant sum, can we really envisage them as bit part players? 

Yes the coach has to work with the players he has, but you would hope those players brought in, were chosen to fit the system. Most of ours clearly were not

Edited by gurujuan

28 minutes ago, Maddogbob said:

Jackson irvine is a must for me. Then we need that pacy winger. One centre back and we are done I reckon.

Spot on. Then ship out any more deadwood and like Brighton last season get a settled first choice eleven sorted before the season starts 

2 hours ago, gurujuan said:

With respect though, it's not irrelevent Can you imagine Pep at Man City being given Troy Deeney as the focal point of his attack?

Yes, it's the modern way, coaches coach and, you're right, they work the players at their disposal but there surely has to be some correlation between that recruitment, and what the coach is trying to do.

The original idea was that the club decides how they want the team to play. Then the club hires a coach who can coach that system. Each position on the pitch is analysed and players are found who have the attributes to play that position in the way set out. The manager and players are disposable in that others can be found with the required talents to replace any that are transferred or out of contract. Nobody is irreplaceable.

That was the original plan. It lasted a couple of weeks, months, certainly less than a year. The manager decided to change the way we play which meant we needed players with different attributes, I'm not sure anyone told the people who scout and sign the players.

It's a bit of a mess to be honest but one way or another it does seem to have worked to a large extent. Let's hope the wheels don't come off this season.

25 minutes ago, Southie_Owl said:

Spot on. Then ship out any more deadwood and like Brighton last season get a settled first choice eleven sorted before the season starts 

This is key for me.

We need to stop with all this chopping and changing and try to stick with a settled side wherever possible like Brighton and Huddersfield did last season.

45 minutes ago, prowl said:

The original idea was that the club decides how they want the team to play. Then the club hires a coach who can coach that system. Each position on the pitch is analysed and players are found who have the attributes to play that position in the way set out. The manager and players are disposable in that others can be found with the required talents to replace any that are transferred or out of contract. Nobody is irreplaceable.

That was the original plan. It lasted a couple of weeks, months, certainly less than a year. The manager decided to change the way we play which meant we needed players with different attributes, I'm not sure anyone told the people who scout and sign the players.

It's a bit of a mess to be honest but one way or another it does seem to have worked to a large extent. Let's hope the wheels don't come off this season.

I agree, it's a bit of a mess that could quite easily go pear shaped, if we get the recruitment wrong again. It has worked, probably to a small extent, rather than a large extent, and I'm not sure if any of that was down to recruitment. The minimal improvement in our league position was probably down to the pragmatic approach taken by Carlos himself However, there is a school of thought, that having kept the squad intact, and added £20m of attacking talent, that was the least that should have been achieved

2 hours ago, gurujuan said:

Now I just don't know what the thinking was with Abdi, a great player, if used in the right way. The problem is, you've seen how we play, and the demands put on the midfield two. Does Abdi, from what we know about him, look as if he could form part of such a pairing? From what I've seen, he does not. Then take Jordan Rhodes. We all know how he works best, as part of a pair, up alongside a hard running big man. Although nominally we play 4-4-2, it rarely entails two up. It's more one up, with a link man like Hooper or Forestieri. Sure there will be games where Carlos might try a straight two up, and even games where we might get away with using Abdi in midfield, but those games will be few and far between. With both players costing, not an insignificant sum, can we really envisage them as bit part players? 

Yes the coach has to work with the players he has, but you would hope those players brought in, were chosen to fit the system. Most of ours clearly were not

I think we just tried to get quality players in whenever and wherever we could. The reality is the pool of players of Abdi's quality who we can afford and will come to us is pretty small. Within that small pool loads of other clubs are aiming for those players too. 

It's all well and good saying we needs 4 or 5 top 2 level players with x,y,z attributes. But the competition for those players is fierce and they typically cost a fortune too.

2 minutes ago, NorthernOwl said:

I think we just tried to get quality players in whenever and wherever we could. The reality is the pool of players of Abdi's quality who we can afford and will come to us is pretty small. Within that small pool loads of other clubs are aiming for those players too. 

It's all well and good saying we needs 4 or 5 top 2 level players with x,y,z attributes. But the competition for those players is fierce and they typically cost a fortune too.

Whatever it takes.

5 minutes ago, WalthamOwl said:

Hudds set to sign Mooy for 10 million. Would have loved him here but guess we can't compete with the lure of the Premiership, bloody Huddersfield. 

Really good signing for them, he was a key part of their success.