Tactics!

Nobody who enjoys football could possibly claim, they enjoy us playing this way. As a means to an end, Carlos believes it will work for us, so I can go with it for now. You do wonder though, if  a side that missed out at Wembley, with £20m worth of new attacking talent added, could have done it another way

1 minute ago, gurujuan said:

Nobody who enjoys football could possibly claim, they enjoy us playing this way. As a means to an end, Carlos believes it will work for us, so I can go with it for now. You do wonder though, if  a side that missed out at Wembley, with £20m worth of new attacking talent added, could have done it another way

I think so, we could have gone for the win with the resources we have, a draw is fine but its still 50-50 now, in the balance and I don't think that they will be too displeased starting a one off game level even at Hillsborough

I am in two minds about yesterdays game.

We treated it like a European away tie with keeping it to 0-0, if we go through to the final then fair enough it is a tactic that worked.

But as others have said to have no shots on target and never looking that bothered about doing so with all the money we have splashed on forwards against a 21 year old reserve keeper is a bit frustrating.

6 minutes ago, matthefish2002 said:

We treated it like a European away tie with keeping it to 0-0, if we go through to the final then fair enough it is a tactic that worked.

But as others have said to have no shots on target and never looking that bothered about doing so with all the money we have splashed on forwards against a 21 year old reserve keeper is a bit frustrating.

It has got to be a more open game Wednesday, think it will be miles apart from yesterday

I hope Carlos has got it right. If we fail in the final like last season then all this defensive boring football has been pointless. If we fail again can we please go back to attacking attractive football next year please.

2 hours ago, gurujuan said:

I think its pretty clear Carlos is from the Jose Mourinho school of how to approach an important away game. 

Primarily, don't lose. Keep it tight, compact, disciplined and frustrate the life out of them. 

In that aspect, we did just about enough yesterday. Of course the other part of that plan is to make the most of the few times you get the chance to attack.

I'm sure, like us, Carlos will be disappointed with that aspect of our game. We couldn't get a foothold in midfield at all and on the few occasions we did win a 2nd ball and try to break, we wasted it. We never got it to FF in good areas, Fletcher couldn't keep hold of it and we were incredibly sloppy in possession.

Still, we're in a decent position going into the 2nd leg and we know we can play a lot better.

3 hours ago, Holmowl said:

Always say it as I see it. 

Sometimes I see it like the majority.

Other times I see things more optimistically than most.

Sunday, unlike most, I saw us back to the early dark days of this season.

Hope you are right, and that I am wrong.

You hope is true because you are wrong. 

1 hour ago, IstillhateSteveBould said:

I think its pretty clear Carlos is from the Jose Mourinho school of how to approach an important away game. 

Primarily, don't lose. Keep it tight, compact, disciplined and frustrate the life out of them. 

In that aspect, we did just about enough yesterday. Of course the other part of that plan is to make the most of the few times you get the chance to attack.

I'm sure, like us, Carlos will be disappointed with that aspect of our game. We couldn't get a foothold in midfield at all and on the few occasions we did win a 2nd ball and try to break, we wasted it. We never got it to FF in good areas, Fletcher couldn't keep hold of it and we were incredibly sloppy in possession.

Still, we're in a decent position going into the 2nd leg and we know we can play a lot better.

Agree with this, and Carlos seems to have got it right thus far Did we need to lavish £20m on the squad that came so close last season, just to shut teams out though? If that was our aim, perhaps the money could have been spent on players better equipped to do that? I guess that's a debate for another time. Indeed, it might be irrelevant, if we are successful at Wembley

Edited by gurujuan

It's still on a knife edge but it would have been stranger for it not to be. We're playing a team who got the same amount of points as us in a cup format. We performed well in that we achieved our main objective. We performed poorly in that we didn't build on that like we have in several other away games this season but that's in part thanks to a good Huddersfield performance that still barely troubled us. We'll see a different Wednesday in the second leg but it could easily go either way.

I'm more excited than nervous now - this is what it's all about and we are well prepared.

18 hours ago, AMB1867 said:

I posted in the match thread t HT and thought we was playing OK, but was really disappointed that our second halfperforamce carried on in the same vain of inviting pressure on us, but yet they still didn't look like scoring. The most worrying thing was the passing, has it ever been as bad as today? It was horrendous.

I think we all don't mind a draw, but today we was facing the out of form team in the play-offs and we should have been looking to take advantage.

As someone as said in the thread, Huddersfield still look dangerous, anyone can score a goal in this league and if they score first at Hillsborough, it will be a desperate and unbearable atmosphere and that's the last thing we need. So that's why I am disappointed we didn't try to win the game.

Carlos is going to look an absolute idiot or a genius and I suppose we will know soon!

How do you know this? Is it because you're so in the know?

For all the attractive play and posession Hudds had, I can't remember a team making so little from it. By the end I wasn't worried at all with them coming forward, as they'd shown no idea how to actually turn it into chances.

It did just tire them out more, whereas we will be fresh for weds night. Hope we go at them from the off though, you've played the cautious part Carlos, no more of that cagey first half nonsense please! Lets try and get a couple of goals first half and win the tie then.

11 hours ago, matthefish2002 said:

The European analogy is an interesting one. I doubt anyone would see a 0-0 draw away from home in a tie against a side perceived to be of a similar standard as a bad result. The one negative would be the lack of an away goal- and of course in this instance that's irrelevant.

Removing the away goal rule removes any onus on the away side to force the issue in the first leg.

Now we have to go and win the tie- but so do they. I doubt either side wants penalties. This will be close - really close, because once a goal goes in the mentality of either side will be to 'close the windows and doors'.

2 canny managers, 2 capable teams. I'd make us favourites, but only by a cigarette paper.

Just now, owls-swfc said:

Was told today, by somebody at the match..  that Pudil collapsed on his back knackered at final whistle (didn't see it mesen on sky tv though, due to amount of ale consumed!) 

Pudil should know better, drinking alcohol before an important game shouldnt be allowed

Just now, ANDY said:

Pudil should know better, drinking alcohol before an important game shouldnt be allowed

I thought I might edit my own post before the obvious response... but left it open for the bait that was took!! 

On ‎14‎/‎05‎/‎2017 at 14:46, londonowl said:

It all depends what you want from your football. Someone likened it to Mourinho earlier in the thread and that is exactly the point. Mourinho approaches games with only one thing in mind which is the result, everything else is irrelevant. This has been Carlos' approach all season, results at all costs. 

Personally, I think we are good enough to have gone there and actually played them today but with that always comes the risk of coming out of it a couple of goals behind so in games like this you really do have to look at the shoreline and ignore everything else.

We will fight them on the beaches....