Tactics!

39 minutes ago, Thewaynesday said:

If anything that must of been demoralising for udders players. They threw everything they have at us and dominated possession and did just slightly more in front of goal. Like the op says , our lads just looked calm and focused and did a job. I'm sure Carlos didn't intend for our passing to be so dire and for us to give the ball away every time we had it but we didn't concede and I'm sure that was the main aim today 

If you were there today you would have seen a very dispirited Huddersfield team trooping off at the end. They know they have a mountain to climb on Wednesday night

Brilliant tactics today. Huddersfield had almost all of the ball at home in front of their home crowd and couldn't get past our defence. They will wonder what the hell they have to do to score, and the fact they haven't scored a goal against us this season will be on their minds. We can change the game plan now and they know if/when we score that we can defend for our lives. Looking forward to Wednesday night now.

A very respectable result, but not a perfect performance. We gave away possession far too easily throughout the game. Not having had one shot on target to test the reserve keeper was disappointing. It all makes for a great atmosphere and occasion next Wednesday, but at some stage we're going to have to attack and I felt we could have done that better today. Nevertheless, I'd have taken the result before the kick-off and we have to be favourites to reach the final.

I've been critical of CC during the season, for good reason I maintain. However can understand  today was a professional performance in the knowledge we can beat anyone at hillsborough and going in level gives us advantage 

Absolutely fantastic performance. Got to be able to do both! And we are the best defensive side in the play offs. All we need to do is beat Huddersfield at home in front of an energetic crowd. Well played Carlos, slagged you at times but absolutely spot on today... 3 games now and Huddersfield haven't broken us down once. 

I agree 100% that was a brilliant defensive performance and we look to be in a great place going to Hillsborough- all the credit to Carlos and the players for pretty easily shutting down Huddersfield. 

That said, that was a pretty sloppy performance going forward. Some bad passes, sloppy touches, and almost zero linkup play. I'm sure they'll be fine on Wednesday, but I think it's fair to criticize the play somewhat. Boring is fine for that leg, but sloppy wasn't what we wanted. 

35 minutes ago, londonowl said:

It all depends what you want from your football. Someone likened it to Mourinho earlier in the thread and that is exactly the point. Mourinho approaches games with only one thing in mind which is the result, everything else is irrelevant. This has been Carlos' approach all season, results at all costs. 

Personally, I think we are good enough to have gone there and actually played them today but with that always comes the risk of coming out of it a couple of goals behind so in games like this you really do have to look at the shoreline and ignore everything else.

Bingo!!

It wasn't a perfect performance. But the main thing to take away from the game is that Huddersfield threw everything they had at us and it didn't get them anywhere. Full strength starting line up, their fans were fantastic and got right behind the team, the crucial pairing of Mooy and Hogg in midfield controlled play - and yet they got barely a sniff all game, the two main chances they had were complete flukes - the deflected cross we didn't deal with where Brown hit the bar, and Westwood's save from Wells because the ball took a ricochet off Hunt. We couldn't really have been any less adventurous, it's true, but the focus on shutting Huddersfield down completely meant it didn't matter that we didn't really have any attacking rhythm and our passing was off. We did the job that was needed and have a very strong chance on Wednesday.

1 minute ago, rob chester said:

If I were Huddersfield I would come and attack us again and dominate possession they might just sneak it for me' it leaves us in a  situation they can come frustrate us and hit us on the counter or dominate tho. I can't see us controlling the game we haven't in any of the three games we have played them this season

They've got no other choice but to attempt that. We never broke sweat today and they got nowt

Tell Chelsea fans the same when they sat back against Barca, and won the champ league with negative tactics. 

Wagner went for his mate klopps style, Carlos for his mate mourinhio. Which manager has the best cup history.

Thought that was almost perfect, Huddersfield must be sick of not being able to score against us. 

43 minutes ago, rob chester said:

If I were Huddersfield I would come and attack us again and dominate possession they might just sneak it for me' it leaves us in a  situation they can come frustrate us and hit us on the counter or dominate tho. I can't see us controlling the game we haven't in any of the three games we have played them this season

They've failed to score against us in our last 3 games now, what makes you think they will be able to at our place. If anything the way they threw everything at us and still didn't get anything should make them worried. I do agree that we haven't controlled any of the games against them so far but we have three goals to their none, possession means nothing if you don't use it to your advantage.

2 hours ago, ramone said:

Anyone else think the OP might be I. TO something...? ITK maybe? 

I wish I was buddy... just a really happy and (somewhat) over analytical Owl lol

3 hours ago, pinowl said:

Afternoon fellow Owls!!

After seeing today's game I can't help but wonder this is all of Carlos game plan ... hold em on there turf then destroy em on ours...??? If so im all for it but did anyone else notice we took it super cool as they threw everything at us!!!

If it's all part of the plan and Carlos being a psychology expert then trust in Carlos we do and I'm loving it!!!!!

UTO!!! WTID!!! WAWAW!!!!!!!!

It has to be, Like you said we took it all in our stride, and I honestly never felt like we were going to loose the game... thought we might have nicked a goal late on... but that's just me!!

Well put it this way. If his game plan for wednesdsy is to hold them were in trouble and someone needs to explain the playoff process to him.

I think it's obvious that smashing them at our place is the plan.