Is the premier league so bad?

One's attitude to a last up on MotD tie like Stoke v Bournemouth would be very different if it was us v Bournemouth. 

There's no reason why we can't compete with the likes of Everton and West Ham, in the medium term.

And, look, it won't happen more than once in a blue moon but flipping LEICESTER won last year.

Chansiri is like a real life version of one of them teenagers that cheat on football manager. No reason why we can't win the FA Cup next year and finish second. 

And then win every single game and trophy the season after. 

Might not but it could. 

I'm a bit conflicted to be honest, I can't stand the Premier League for everything it has done to football.

I really don't want us to be a club full of mercenaries from around the world, which is basically what happened to us last time. Wim Jonk injured? let's just go and sign Klass Ingesson then. I still want to see the likes of Joe Wildsmith and Liam Palmer playing for us, 'home grown' lads who can show an 8 year old from Shirecliffe watching with his dad that it's possible to play for Wednesday one day.

Personally, I thought the soul went out of our club when we established ourselves as a Premier League club last time around. Some of the players we signed couldn't have pointed to Sheffield on a map and had barely heard of us before we waved a decent wage in front of them.

I want us to do well, but part of me is worried about what we will  become once we are in the Premier League ( and I think we will definitely get there this year) .

When I look back on going to Hillsborough man and boy since 1977, I've always gone to more games when we have been a bit rubbish, and I think that's because things were ' real' and support was needed.

I'm really happy for all the supporters that are looking forward to playing the big boys though, and to us signing even better players than we have now .

9 hours ago, Blue and white said:

The day anyone says they wouldn't rather see our team competing against the best teams in the land instead of the likes of Burton Albion then I know it's time to call it a day.

Of course we want Wednesday to win every game and the logical conclusion of that is promotion to the top division.  But I have a Middlesbrough supporting mate and he's hated this year.  It wasn't exciting playing teams like Watford. It was even less exciting when he realised they were miles better than Boro.

It'll be great playing the top 6 or 7 but tbh whether we play Burton or Bournemouth,  Preston or Palace, Burnley or Brum makes no difference to me. In fact there are plenty of games in the Championship next year with big clubs and old rivals  - Sunderland, Villa,Leeds, Barnsley, Forest, Derby, Wolves and of course the Pigs   - that are more inviting than playing plenty of the Premiership also rans. 

It is, as some have said, the problem with modern football. If we go up we'll have to live game by game and enjoy the ride that way rather than have ambition to break into the very top level. Man Utd and Arsenal are struggling with that this season - it's a momentous task. Makes the Leicester achievement all the more remarkable.  

Surely every fan has to want us in the Prem, teams who lose almost every week will become despondent but if we can survive the first season (which Im convinced we would), then once the club settles into the Prem I think most of us would enjoy it.

I do agree though that being towards the top of the table to struggling for a season or 2 would be hard to take but its the only way to move forward and improve as a club.

The last time we were promoted to the top division I recall us taking 4 points off Man Utd and losing home and away to the blunts, however we finished in 3rd place and qualified for Europe, and anyway I don't fancy two Sheffield derbies being the highlight of our season.

Bring on the Premiership, we've waited long enough.

We have been out of prem so long we are going to have to establish ourselves as a big club again, that might mean buying in some mercenaries, taking defeats on the chin coming back down and building again. From the job our owner has done in the last 2 years the next few years do not frighten me. Whats happening at Wednesday now is really exciting!!

1 hour ago, Bannofan said:

I'm a bit conflicted to be honest, I can't stand the Premier League for everything it has done to football.

I really don't want us to be a club full of mercenaries from around the world, which is basically what happened to us last time. Wim Jonk injured? let's just go and sign Klass Ingesson then. I still want to see the likes of Joe Wildsmith and Liam Palmer playing for us, 'home grown' lads who can show an 8 year old from Shirecliffe watching with his dad that it's possible to play for Wednesday one day.

Personally, I thought the soul went out of our club when we established ourselves as a Premier League club last time around. Some of the players we signed couldn't have pointed to Sheffield on a map and had barely heard of us before we waved a decent wage in front of them.

I want us to do well, but part of me is worried about what we will  become once we are in the Premier League ( and I think we will definitely get there this year) .

When I look back on going to Hillsborough man and boy since 1977, I've always gone to more games when we have been a bit rubbish, and I think that's because things were ' real' and support was needed.

I'm really happy for all the supporters that are looking forward to playing the big boys though, and to us signing even better players than we have now .

We're full of mercenaries now. It's all relative, the likes of Forestieri, Fletcher,, Hooper, Rhodes etc would be nowhere near us without the new money.

If we don't want to become a midtable Premier league team then why bother at all

Gerra'grip.

Prem will be brill.

Just imagine sitting down in front of the telly at half ten on Saturday night.

Da da da daa da da da daa da da da da da!!

Wednesday back on MOTD, lovely stuff.

I haven't watched it for a while tho I must admit, does Life of Riley still soundtrack goal of the month?

It is now a trade off.

Between wanting to see your club in 'the top flight' and being part of the 'Premier League monster' .  In the mind two seperate things,  but in reality...

.......The top flight and the Premier League Business .... the two things, sadly, that can no longer ever be separated. 

They're some monstrous cojoined creation, part beauty and part beast, part game and part merciless capitalist machine. The most perfect and wonderful game and the worst of greed and corruption.  A global branded cartel which is helping to suffocate the beautiful and simple seed from which is attached itself, like a symbiotic leech.

If you want to see Wednesday playing against Manchester United and Arsenal on a regular basis, to see again fixture lists where our proud name is up there amongst the other great names of English footballs history,  to hope to create a future as good as the rich tapestry of our past,  then the trade is that you accept yourself as succumbing to the beast, becoming part of it. 

Another host for it's insatiable thirst for your money and your soul.

All we're bothered about is seeing a Wednesday side out there on the pitch lined up ready to take on another famous name from English footballs deep history.

And while the game is in progress we can have that, we can see that.

We can forget for that short 90 minute window, that we are now be part of the problem and part of....... "The Product" © R.Scudamore.

Image result for terminator eyes

Basically anyone who remembers the prem days i think misses the teams in more than anything

Us in championship is practically how it was:

v Notts Forest

v Sunderland 

v Aston Villa

v Leeds

v Barnsley

v Derby

v Fulham

v Sheff Utd

v Norwich

v Ipswich

Us in Prem now against clubs who really have little personality between them but are support cast for the top 6:

v Watford

v Bournemouth

v Burnley

v Swansea

v West Brom

v Brighton

I would love us to be a top name in football again, but the media circus of the prem has made it more of a tv show than passionate football. If the premiership disappeared our league would be considered the best to watch on tv in the world with the drama it has.

The old saying goes, they may say money can't buy happiness, but I'd definitely be happier sat on my yacht drinking pino coladas than trudging around work in raining dreary Hull( working in Hull at the moment). 

So yeah I'd rather be watching us against the likes of hazard, ozil, aguero l etc at Chelsea, Manchester, arsenal etc.... Than Burton, Rotherham and so on. Look at Leicester,Bournemouth  or Southampton?? If they can go up, stay up and build a good premiership team then why can't we?? We know were a bigger city and bigger fan Base. They also say overcoming the odds and victory over adversity is so much sweeter. I can live with a year or two surviving and not winning that many games, it makes nicking a win over a top 4 side really special  and the smile  lasts all week. Some people need to remember the other old saying ROME wasn't built in a day. 

Edited by shezzas left peg

Yeah, I want to watch Wednesday in the Prem, but looking at the table is depressing, only 7 out of 20 (35%) of clubs have won as many games as they've lost this year, whilst in the Championship it's 12 out of 24 (50%).

The Championship is basically the same level of football as the 90's Prem these days, i.e. before the massive influx of foreign talent.

12 minutes ago, Cpt_Hatstand said:

Yeah, I want to watch Wednesday in the Prem, but looking at the table is depressing, only 7 out of 20 (35%) of clubs have won as many games as they've lost this year, whilst in the Championship it's 12 out of 24 (50%).

The Championship is basically the same level of football as the 90's Prem these days, i.e. before the massive influx of foreign talent.

I was looking at the Premier League Table, because I was sure Southampton were losing every week yet not coming close to being near the bottom.

There's 13 points between Everton in 7th and West Brom in 8th...then only another 10 between 8th and 18th, which is a relegation place.

7th pace Evertons goal difference is +19  . 8th Place West Brom ( West Brom!) is - 4. Goal differences get worse after that.

Any team below 7th has lost more games than they have won, and drawn an awful lot.

Apart from maybe West Ham in 12th place, and Sunderland at the bottom, there is not one team that you would class as a big side with a decent ground you would look forward to going to. No teams that you would really associate with being a 'big club'.

If this is not evidence of at least a two tier league then I don't know what is.

Basically when fans are looking forward to the Premier league, they are basically looking forward to us playing the top 7 of this season and West Ham.

2 minutes ago, Bannofan said:

I was looking at the Premier League Table, because I was sure Southampton were losing every week yet not coming close to being near the bottom.

There's 13 points between Everton in 7th and West Brom in 8th...then only another 10 between 8th and 18th, which is a relegation place.

7th pace Evertons goal difference is +19  . 8th Place West Brom ( West Brom!) is - 4. Goal differences get worse after that.

Any team below 7th has lost more games than they have won, and drawn an awful lot.

Apart from maybe West Ham in 12th place, and Sunderland at the bottom, there is not one team that you would class as a big side with a decent ground you would look forward to going to. No teams that you would really associate with being a 'big club'.

If this is not evidence of at least a two tier league then I don't know what is.

Basically when fans are looking forward to the Premier league, they are basically looking forward to us playing the top 7 of this season and West Ham.

Plus Newcastle I guess after they've gone up, but yeah

21 hours ago, S36 OWL said:

Last time i came to the Hawthorns the Beer was warm too. lol

Nowt wrong with warm beer mate.

At least you can taste it.

Unlike that "super cooled" stuff that tastes of B*gg*r all !........

The big brewers have a lot to answer for!.                      :rolleyes:

People are missing point it's not about money it's about lauding it over your rivaols like Kings and talent raiding Leeds for bobbar and giggleslol