Is the premier league so bad?

Old friend who supports Southampton says he doesn't much enjoy it. First couple of seasons were great but they're not going to bridge the gap.  More enjoyable when we were young.  Saints could realistically aim for top six in good years. Wasn't unreasonable to think they might challenge right at the top. Equally from time to time they would get relegated without that being an existential crisis.

I want us to go up largely because you can't stand still.  But I really don't like what football has become.  

Endless hours of TV aimed with laser precision at cretins.

And like others i like games at 3pm on a sat, not for tradition but because it falls in with the rest of the weekend.

One thing we have to our advantage over the teams you mentioned, Fulham, Middlesbrough, Watford etc is we have the potential to be much more then just a PL Place holder year upon year

Those teams realistically cant compete with the top teams in a number of areas, Financial clout, Ground Size, Number of Supporters, ability to attract players etc sure they may have a good season now and then but its just not sustainable for most over a long period

We have some of those key areas in place already to some degree, nobody can deny we have the ground size and support of a Top 10 Team

You just have to compare us to most of the teams outside of the Top 7 of the Prem and would be hard to find where we are behind in off the field situations

It wont happen overnight and the first season back up would be a struggle off course and Im sure we'd all settle for 17th in that 1st season back whenever that may be, but if we can just get it right and survive for the 1st couple of years we have the structure that so many teams dont have to push on and make more of ourselves and not just settle for reaching 40 points every season and giving ourselves a pat on the back 

Not saying we can waltz into the CL spots like that but theres nothing holding us back from being on the level of say an Everton    

From what we have learned so far from DC, he appears to be very experienced in business matters and very astute.  So with the additional TV money and commercial opportunities that the Premier League brings, you would expect him to stabilise the club in the PL and once that is achieved, begin to build further in order to compete at the top end rather than the bottom end.  I don't for a minute think we will be in the Champions League, but over a few years maybe we could become top half on a regular basis and maybe the odd decent cup run.

Let's get there first and then worry about it!

9 minutes ago, leeowls87 said:

One thing we have to our advantage over the teams you mentioned, Fulham, Middlesbrough, Watford etc is we have the potential to be much more then just a PL Place holder year upon year

Those teams realistically cant compete with the top teams in a number of areas, Financial clout, Ground Size, Number of Supporters, ability to attract players etc sure they may have a good season now and then but its just not sustainable for most over a long period

We have some of those key areas in place already to some degree, nobody can deny we have the ground size and support of a Top 10 Team

You just have to compare us to most of the teams outside of the Top 7 of the Prem and would be hard to find where we are behind in off the field situations

It wont happen overnight and the first season back up would be a struggle off course and Im sure we'd all settle for 17th in that 1st season back whenever that may be, but if we can just get it right and survive for the 1st couple of years we have the structure that so many teams dont have to push on and make more of ourselves and not just settle for reaching 40 points every season and giving ourselves a pat on the back 

Not saying we can waltz into the CL spots like that but theres nothing holding us back from being on the level of say an Everton    

I admire your optimism.........

41 minutes ago, Stoop said:

It'd be abit sh*t if we turned into Stoke 

there's every chance that we would .....season after season of finishing 10th not very exciting but a 100 million quid every year would make it very appealing for the owner and if he did get fed up a few years down the line he'd have no trouble selling us on for a big number .that's the bad thing about the prem you don't have to be successful you just have to stay in it .

At the end of the day its all about money in the premier league, The more you got, the further you go. But it's those who are willing to push it that bit further that will have the greatest success over a sustained period of time.

Everton and Tottenham are just realising this.  (massive investment - new bigger ground). 

Premier league doesn't appeal to me personally at all. The money does however. 

Would like a season up there to visit some grounds I've not been to in years and the put the club on a solid financial footing for years to come,but other than that it's too sterile and boring. Unless you get an Abramovic takover, the best you can realistally be is about 8th

much prefer to the championship as a competition. 

4 hours ago, Blue and white said:

The day anyone says they wouldn't rather see our team competing against the best teams in the land instead of the likes of Burton Albion then I know it's time to call it a day.

Understand that.

On the other hand, I think it's naive to think that these days we will be able to do more than establish ourselves as a good mid table premier league club.  This wasn't true when we were chasing promotion in the 80s or the early 90s.  (And this is true, even though compared to the other top leagues the premier league has quite a broad top power base)

This is all a matter of saying that I don't like - really don't like - what modern club football has become.

If we get there, we'll go through preseason all saying, "this year will just be about consolidation", "we'll be happy with 17th" etc.

Then 5 or 6 games in, the usual suspects will all be calling for Carlos's head coz we're not winning every week and they're not enjoying it.

lol

Even if you finish mid table theres avoiding relegation to keep the interest through the season.

You see a higher standard and usually bloody the noses of a few big boys at Hillsborough.

It's not going to be boring. Wasn't last time and I think we can push for Europe if we stay in it a few years.

But a way to go yet.

44 minutes ago, thewookieisdown said:

Understand that.

On the other hand, I think it's naive to think that these days we will be able to do more than establish ourselves as a good mid table premier league club.  This wasn't true when we were chasing promotion in the 80s or the early 90s.  (And this is true, even though compared to the other top leagues the premier league has quite a broad top power base)

This is all a matter of saying that I don't like - really don't like - what modern club football has become.

There are proven models to follow, Southampton,WBA, Stoke to name but a few.

11 hours ago, iliveinthenow said:

I always thought we would play more on a Saturday and Sunday if we went up.  No more of these silly Tuesday night games. 

there will be far fewer tues night games if we go up as 8 fewer games in prem. there wouldn't be many tues night games now if it wernt for fifa having 5 blank weekends during season, I mean who cares about international football? it bores me stiff and I lost interest with England years ago.

9 minutes ago, Blue and white said:

There are proven models to follow, Southampton,WBA, Stoke to name but a few.

Those are good and realistic models. It can happen for us and under this ownership i think it will.  We will get promoted before too long.

Still don't like it!  Where "it" is contemporary club football.  

If we were to get promoted and a good season was finishing 10th then there aren't going to be any exciting ends to the season like we're used to. All that money will just go on wages and sadly Wednesday just aren't the brand name we wished they were to become a worldwide club on the scale of some clubs from home and abroad you could mention.

Yes i absolutely want to see Wednesday in the premier league but i want to see them fighting for a top 6 place (eventually) not a lifetime of mid table plodding where the main event is the odd time you beat a big boy.