My biggest problem with signing Rhodes, other than the fee Boro might expect, is the way that we play. Knowing the type of player Rhodes is, he was never going to be prolific in our team. We are all about shape, and keeping compact, trying to negate other teams strengths. It's working to a certain extent, and it might even gain us promotion, but someone like Jordan Rhodes will never thrive when we play this way. All Rhodes can do, is contribute to the team ethos, work hard on closing down and generally make a nuisance of himself. Since he has been here, he's done that, I can't fault him at all on his contribution when he has played. My argument is not with Rhodes, it's with those on here who said he would score a shed load of goals, and made every excuse under the sun when he didn't He was never going to bring his previous goalscoring exploits to this side, I said it before he signed, and nothing so far, has made me change my mind.

If we get promoted, Jordan Rhodes, like every other squad member, will have played their part, and I'd be happy with that, because then, even his fee won't be an issue

Edited by gurujuan

IMHO he appears to be a very content person, he's doing what he wants to do and being paid a klng's ransom for doing it. Just compare his demeanour to that of Shearer in his pomp, he wanted to win more than anything, I'd like Carlos to bring in a one to one coach, preferably with some attitude, either that or play him with a live crab shoved down his shorts.

38 minutes ago, A12owl said:

How on earth can you really say that you thought JR would struggle. Every team and supporter in the Championship would be over the moon to have Rhodes at their club. There are probably only you and Rocketowl who have had this less than complementary attitude towards him since he arrived. He has always scored goals wherever he has been and I think he has been the best striker ever in the championship as far as goals according to stats. Its not all about scoring as a foward its about contributing. The well publicised stat on here proves his worth to the team. With a different set up he will score goals. We havnt needed that yet as our league position shows. When a change in tactics is needed which gives him the chances then he will score. Hindsight is a wonderful thing but wait until next season wherever we are and he will score goals.  Carlos will play a tactic to his strength when its needed. Its a team game and we dont rely on one player. JR works hard and creates space and chances for others. He has changed his game to fit in to our system. Carlos hasnt changed our system to fit in with JR. Both have got it right as 4th place proves.

This is not hindsight though, check my posts when it was mooted we'd sign him, I had the same reservations. I said he would not be prolific in our set up, and I was right, he hasn't been. It's not anti Rhodes, as I've tried to explain in my post above, it's more about the style of football we are playing. 

On 2017-5-9 at 08:05, optimisticowl said:

IMHO he appears to be a very content person, he's doing what he wants to do and being paid a klng's ransom for doing it. Just compare his demeanour to that of Shearer in his pomp, he wanted to win more than anything, I'd like Carlos to bring in a one to one coach, preferably with some attitude, either that or play him with a live crab shoved down his shorts.

Live crab?  You'll never fit Potter in them sports 

Those who feel he needs leaving out of the team, would you feel differently if the QPR goalie hadn't pulled off a miraculous save (followed in by Pudil), or had his cross shot gone in v Cardiff rather than being pushed into Nando's path?

So that's two proper and match-winning assists in his last 170 minutes for us.

His goals will come. They always have. He has had dry spells throughout his years, and always followed up with goals by the bucket-load.

Some interesting comment from Neil Mellor as to why Jordan Rhodes has struggled so far this season. He says we don't get enough bodies into the penalty area, which is probably fair comment. It's something I've often commented on, about how we play a nominal 4-4-2 system, but perhaps a too cautious approach is starving the forwards of opportunities. It's difficult to knock the system as it's producing results, but it's probably the reason none of our strikers will be prolific. All those who thought Rhodes would score for fun, were perhaps a little misguided. He has scored three goals for us, and has a season's total of three in 24 games, for us and Boro, who incidentally, also don't get players into the box. Those stats are not great, almost Nuhiuesque. 

49 minutes ago, Spookone said:

You have to think Rhodes will come good one way or another his pedigree is too good not to - any club in the Championship would like him in their squad.

He's always a useful player to have in the squad, but I'm not too sure many clubs would pay what Boro are asking, even if they could

Rhodes looks like he needs a pre season before he can be judged. But he seems to drift into the link position here, dropping deeper. To score he needs to stop that as he hasn't got the pace to turn and beat a man. 

Hes a clever player, we do need to put balls across the box but he has also missed some of these. Hopefully it clicks for him. Both Rhodes and McCormack have struggled since big moves but at least we have the guy with a good attitude 

17 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Well yes it's true, I did, but they wouldn't listen

So you are writing him off after 4 months at the club? Let's not forget the amount of game time he had before coming to us too.

But hey, lets not talk common sense shall we.

On 09/05/2017 at 07:52, gurujuan said:

My biggest problem with signing Rhodes, other than the fee Boro might expect, is the way that we play. Knowing the type of player Rhodes is, he was never going to be prolific in our team. We are all about shape, and keeping compact, trying to negate other teams strengths. It's working to a certain extent, and it might even gain us promotion, but someone like Jordan Rhodes will never thrive when we play this way. All Rhodes can do, is contribute to the team ethos, work hard on closing down and generally make a nuisance of himself. Since he has been here, he's done that, I can't fault him at all on his contribution when he has played. My argument is not with Rhodes, it's with those on here who said he would score a shed load of goals, and made every excuse under the sun when he didn't He was never going to bring his previous goalscoring exploits to this side, I said it before he signed, and nothing so far, has made me change my mind.

If we get promoted, Jordan Rhodes, like every other squad member, will have played their part, and I'd be happy with that, because then, even his fee won't be an issue

He did not take those goal scoring exploits to Boro as they played a containing type of football. I could not understand us signing him for that fee.