New home shirt

Depend's how you define tradition, do white stripes come under that heading?  To some, it will to some it won't.

If we keep an all blue kit for the next two hundred years will our traditional kit be stripes or an all blue kit? 

Thats about as mental an argument as it is possible to give 

The club has been in existence for 150 years for the VAST majority of that time we have worn a shirt comprising Blue and White Stripes they are absolutely unarguably part of the tradition and history of the club not even the thickest pig fan would argue otherwise 

Argue all you like about the rights and wrongs of Chansiri deciding we are now his plaything to with what he will but your argument about the historical aspect of the Striped shirt is just bizarre

Another strawman argument, no one is calling for any such thing, the only change is going to all blue.  

I'm quite sure that DC will be quite aware of the unpopularity of removing the stripes and has seen the upset at Cardiff and Hull and will be aware that he would lose the trust he has made with the bulk of the support. I honestly believe that he won't make any more "ego" changes as he has stated in the past that he respects the traditions of Wednesday.

I'm not happy that he has gone away from stripes but at the end of the day it's his club and why would he tolerate something that really rubs him up the wrong way?  Totally irrational you could argue which makes him just as irrational as many other football fans maybe he's getting/got the football supporting thing already.

Its not a strawman argument - i quite clearly set out the 2 positions - even if i exaggerated to make the point

Some people believe in certain things that are integral to SWFC and moving too far from that position well, thne is it really still SWFC?

Others seem quite content to let the owner do what he likes just because he is putting a better standard of product on the pitch

Again, to some the identity and traditions of the club are more important than short lived increased performances

While to others the performances and results are everything

I'm not gonna win an argument with anybody who doesn't care about the kit and thats not my point - i'm setting out my own psotion and why i feel that way

Thats about as mental an argument as it is possible to give 

The club has been in existence for 150 years for the VAST majority of that time we have worn a shirt comprising Blue and White Stripes they are absolutely unarguably part of the tradition and history of the club not even the thickest pig fan would argue otherwise 

Argue all you like about the rights and wrongs of Chansiri deciding we are now his plaything to with what he will but your argument about the historical aspect of the Striped shirt is just bizarre

Where did I say it wasn't part of our tradition?

Of course you don't have to answer my question.

The reality of it is this...

record shirt sales this season show that the MAJORITY of fans were happy with the change from broad stripes to white pin stripe

Next seasons shirt will break all records for shirt sales again.

Now wether you are for or against this, the facts cant lie

As an old git who's been watching the Owls since the late 50's I'm a stripes only man. They've been our tradition & identity for most of our existence.

While I can understand DC saying he doesn't like stripes & ultimately it's his choice, I think it shows a lack of understanding of the symbolism & identity a kit gives to a particular club by it's fans & the football community in general.

Edited by mogbad

There is no indication that such a possibility will occur so its not relevant to the ongoing thread.

Aside from him playing with the kit and another club in our division having had their colours completely changed in recent times.

Poorly swerved.

Don't think anyone is arguing shirts won't sell. 

That isn't really the debate here.

Clearly they will. As last years did, and the year before that. 

And I've no doubt when im dead and buried there will still be record sales every year. 

I'm not sure that people who buy from the club shop make up the majority of fans. Buts again that's just an opinion. 

An 18 month old child, for example,  might have a shirt bought for them.

I wouldn't class that as a vote towards someone being delighted with the design as they wouldn't really know any difference or even what they were wearing.  Or indeed the need for clothes at all. 

But it will still be classed as a sale. 

Edited by Lord Snooty

Aside from him playing with the kit and another club in our division having had their colours completely changed in recent times.

Poorly swerved.

Obviously every person has a breaking point about how much a club can be changed before it's no longer regarded as the same club, if you wanted to make a thread about this breaking point go for it, but it serves no purpose in the context of this argument because it hasn't happened and it hasn't been suggested.

And I've no doubt when aim dead and buried there will still be record sales every year. 

I'm not sure that people who buy from the club shop make up the majority of fans. Buts again that's just an opinion. 

I wouldn't class that as a vote towards someone being delighted with the design as they wouldn't really know any difference or even what they were wearing.  Or indeed the need for clothes at all. 

While I agree with that I would suggest that if people really cared that much it wouldn't be bought. Don't think the red Cardiff shirts broke any of their club records.

As an old git who's been watching the Owls since the late 50's I'm a stripes only man. They've been our tradition & identity for most of our existence.

While I can understand DC saying he doesn't like stripes & ultimately it's his choice, I think it shows a lack of understanding of the symbolism & identity a kit gives to a particular club by it's fans & the football community in general.

I'm an old git from the same era and I agree with your sentiments.  I'm not so sure it's that he doesn't understand. I think that he just doesn't care what old gits like us think.  From a business point of view he may be right,  it doesn't make it any less painful for the likes of us. 

And I've no doubt when aim dead and buried there will still be record sales every year. 

but an adult made the decision

surely if the majority of fans were against the change then sales would have reflected this.

so the sale of shirts is part of the debate as its showing DC that the fans are ok with the change

(for the record , im in the stripes camp,  and would love to see us back in stripes)

While I agree with that I would suggest that if people really cared that much it wouldn't be bought. Don't think the red Cardiff shirts broke any of their club records.

It certainly didn't.  As you say, there is a breaking point, and clearly that was theirs.

But make no mistake. ...There will still have been some who purchased it. 

Some people will buy anything that comes with a club stamp on it. 

I'm an old git from the same era and I agree with your sentiments.  I'm not so sure it's that he doesn't understand. I think that he just doesn't care what old gits like us think.  From a business point of view he may be right,  it doesn't make it any less painful for the likes of us. 

But if he's bringing us success that we wouldn't have had otherwise is it really that painful?

It certainly didn't.  As you say, there is a breaking point, and clearly that was theirs.

But make no mistake. ...There will still have been some who purchased it. 

Some people will buy anything that comes with a club stamp on it. 

I remember you used to see it dotted about a little

But if he's bringing us success that we wouldn't have had otherwise is it really that painful?

For me it is.

As I say, if success is all that you care for then simply change your allegiance to that of a top club.

The things that matter to me are identity, tradition, the tribal factor/pride in my place of birth, and the memories I make with family/friends at the games.

Take away some of the above and I lose that connection with the club. Once that happens it means my interest is lost also.

Edited by Salli

I remember you used to see it dotted about a little

The red Cardiff shirt did sell -not well as there was an unofficial boycott

But the flipside is i think the away shirt sold extremely well instead - because it was blue...

The reality of it is this...

record shirt sales this season show that the MAJORITY of fans were happy with the change from broad stripes to white pin stripe

Next seasons shirt will break all records for shirt sales again.

Now wether you are for or against this, the facts cant lie

I love facts. Ed sheeran is better than the Beatles, jimi Hendrix etc..