New home shirt

I don't have a choice but to watch it. Having invested heart and soul into the club.

And maybe I , and others, are seemingly irrational in our irritation.

But there is no rationality to watching Wednesday. There is no rationality in football full stop. It's "just a game". And it truly is just a game. Even I know that. 

There is probably no rationality in me being so....so...upset about something which is to many nothing more than an item of clothing.  

But I am bothered, because rationale doesn't come into it.  If it did, I wouldn't be bothered about kit changes.  I wouldn't be bothered about our name. Our reputation. Our identity. 

But I am. And It is ingrained in me , as tradition is, of watching those teams, those players who provide the rich tapestry that is our history, those kits, those striped shirts and the men who wore them are woven into my very character as a human being , because if they were not...I wouldn't be the person I am.

It is , for me at any rate, impossible not to be attached to an images of those players, in those kits.  

It is that sense of enshrined identity and sense of belonging.  No doubt what a psychologist would even go as far as to call tribalism.

If I didn't care about those stripes. About that kit. About the Archibald Leach metal work on the Southstand roof. If i Wasn't proud of the biggest still serving cantilever stand in The football League ....then I would be able to accept it.  And if I could accept my lifetimes love, and passion, the imagery , the mental and physical maps of my own memory being changed , then I would be able to walk away. 

*NB - I suspect you are quite right by the way, and I agree totally. They will no doubt sell excellently and in vast quantities.... in this consumerist, faddish age we live in. 

roland_nilsson_365x470_zpsf496288f.jpg

Nailed it. Especially that last sentence people will by it for the sake of buying it.

I won't because I don't want to encourage the chairman to carry on with these kits. If you really don't want the shirts to change to a non-stripe kit then don't buy them, vote with your wallet.

If I had kids and they asked for it I'd say no and buy them the away or third choice one. For me wednesday should always be in stripes and like Lord Snooty said that is ingrained in me, no it's not rational but hey that's what I believe. 

I don't have a choice but to watch it. Having invested heart and soul into the club.

And maybe I , and others, are seemingly irrational in our irritation.

But there is no rationality to watching Wednesday. There is no rationality in football full stop. It's "just a game". And it truly is just a game. Even I know that. 

There is probably no rationality in me being so....so...upset about something which is to many nothing more than an item of clothing.  

But I am bothered, because rationale doesn't come into it.  If it did, I wouldn't be bothered about kit changes.  I wouldn't be bothered about our name. Our reputation. Our identity. 

But I am. And It is ingrained in me , as tradition is, of watching those teams, those players who provide the rich tapestry that is our history, those kits, those striped shirts and the men who wore them are woven into my very character as a human being , because if they were not...I wouldn't be the person I am.

It is , for me at any rate, impossible not to be attached to an images of those players, in those kits.  

It is that sense of enshrined identity and sense of belonging.  No doubt what a psychologist would even go as far as to call tribalism.

If I didn't care about those stripes. About that kit. About the Archibald Leach metal work on the Southstand roof. If i Wasn't proud of the biggest still serving cantilever stand in The football League ....then I would be able to accept it.  And if I could accept my lifetimes love, and passion, the imagery , the mental and physical maps of my own memory being changed , then I would be able to walk away. 

*NB - I suspect you are quite right by the way, and I agree totally. They will no doubt sell excellently and in vast quantities.... in this consumerist, faddish age we live in. 

roland_nilsson_365x470_zpsf496288f.jpg

Nailed it. It's irrational but what's rational about being 

Said it before

It's called creep - change a little bit then let people get used to it - then change it some more - and on and on etc until you are miles from the start point

I'm from an older generation of fan that could distinctly trace the umbilical cord linking back to the founders of the club - and i'm very much a traditionalist

But without history and tradition then the club is just a football playing entity like any other

So the owner doesn't like stripes and regardless that is our overwhelmongly traditional kit it's being sidelined - what if he doesn't like "Wednesday" - the day or the name?

Now, i ow the hysterical fannies will be leating that it's nothing like just changing the emphasis of the blue kit - but we have seen lots of revious with owners who started out as Gods then became as villianous as any character in the history of their clubs - Hull, Cardiff, Birmingham, Forest

But we're going to the premier league!

Again, if premier league football is the be all and end all then maybe Wednesday is not the club for you

And when/if we get there?

Don't kid yourlselves we're gonna compete - we'll try to survive along with a dozen other clubs and hope we can become a Stoke of West Brom - the owner will lap it up with circa £150m pouring in - but the fans soon get fed up especially when everything they do becomes very expensive and meanwhile the players they pay to watch are on yearly salaries that some won't earn in a lifetime

So, how does this relate to the shirts?

Well, as i said, creep

I cant hate the blue Arsenal shirt - it was the first kit that i regularly watched as a kid - and although historically they were a poor team - those players were heroes to me

I think it's an insult however that it will be our anniversary shirt - the shirt synonymous with one of worst ever periods - whiles the much more prevalent and recognised stripes consigned to history - perhaps for ever?

Creep

Said it before

It's called creep - change a little bit then let people get used to it - then change it some more - and on and on etc until you are miles from the start point

I'm from an older generation of fan that could distinctly trace the umbilical cord linking back to the founders of the club - and i'm very much a traditionalist

But without history and tradition then the club is just a football playing entity like any other

So the owner doesn't like stripes and regardless that is our overwhelmongly traditional kit it's being sidelined - what if he doesn't like "Wednesday" - the day or the name?

Now, i ow the hysterical fannies will be leating that it's nothing like just changing the emphasis of the blue kit - but we have seen lots of revious with owners who started out as Gods then became as villianous as any character in the history of their clubs - Hull, Cardiff, Birmingham, Forest

But we're going to the premier league!

Again, if premier league football is the be all and end all then maybe Wednesday is not the club for you

And when/if we get there?

Don't kid yourlselves we're gonna compete - we'll try to survive along with a dozen other clubs and hope we can become a Stoke of West Brom - the owner will lap it up with circa £150m pouring in - but the fans soon get fed up especially when everything they do becomes very expensive and meanwhile the players they pay to watch are on yearly salaries that some won't earn in a lifetime

So, how does this relate to the shirts?

Well, as i said, creep

I cant hate the blue Arsenal shirt - it was the first kit that i regularly watched as a kid - and although historically they were a poor team - those players were heroes to me

I think it's an insult however that it will be our anniversary shirt - the shirt synonymous with one of worst ever periods - whiles the much more prevalent and recognised stripes consigned to history - perhaps for ever?

Creep

Creepy post that pal 

This will be (though I can never promise) my last post about this tonight. 

But it's a question of identity 

I have pulled here kits from clubs (British) at random stages of their history. And I do genuinely mean at random. 

But, with the badges and sponsors taken off.

I'll bet that most people whatever their age, generation etc etc can still name at least 18/21 them .  Because they will be able to recognise the imagery.

They will be able to recognise the identity those clubs have built for themselves even though suppliers change,  if materials change, sponsors change, fashions and stylings change.  

The central core imagery is still the same.

identity.png

I have pulled here kits from clubs (British) at random stages of their history. And I do genuinely mean at random. 

I'll bet that most people whatever their age, generation etc etc can still name at least 18/21 them .  Because they will be able to recognise the imagery.

They will be able to recognise the identity those clubs have built for themselves even though suppliers change,  if materials change, sponsors change, fashions and stylings change.  

identity.png

Bottom, third from right....Sheffield Wednesday :duntmatter:

Been told that apparently DC now wants to divert the Don as he believes running water is bad luck lol

These superstitions are getting out of control. 

Does this mean we can stop the habit of having the sprinklers on before kick off, even when it's raining?!

identity.png

Absolutely.

identity.png

I can name nearly all those! 

Absolutely.

I can name nearly all those! 

Exactly chaps. Yet some of those pulled out are from last year.  And some are over 100 years old.

ISTANTLY RECOGNISABLE IDENTITY

Or what is probably 'The Brand' these days. 

Does anyone challenge Mr Chansiri at the steering group? Everyone I talk to wants the stripes back. What's the point of the steering group if they're not listened to?

Because it's less of a steering and more of listen to what's going to happen group.

Does anyone challenge Mr Chansiri at the steering group? Everyone I talk to wants the stripes back. What's the point of the steering group if they're not listened to?

DC said we can come and listen to his ideas but anyone questioning his control be get picked up by the stewards and taken away .

I've got two pictures of DC in every room in my house .

identity.png

Sadly he doesn't give a bobbar because he doesn't like stripes. 

That's spoilt rich kids for you.