New home shirt

Though in the U.K we are recognised for our blue and white stripes, in emerging football markets such as Asia and USA we have little profile. Clearly a blue Arsenal shirt is recognised here as Ipswich, but they also don't have profile in these nations so we could make this 'our own', as I can't think of any top European clubs that play in that style of shirt. The blue and white stripes is recognised as Porto due to their European success. So those arguing we should be in blue and white due to brand recognition haven't really thought that argument through.

That makes it worse

Though in the U.K we are recognised for our blue and white stripes, in emerging football markets such as Asia and USA we have little profile. Clearly a blue Arsenal shirt is recognised here as Ipswich, but they also don't have profile in these nations so we could make this 'our own', as I can't think of any top European clubs that play in that style of shirt. The blue and white stripes is recognised as Porto due to their European success. So those arguing we should be in blue and white due to brand recognition haven't really thought that argument through.

Wilson, Blenkinsop, Sewell, Dooley, Quixall, Curran, Hirst, Waddle - we made that shirt our own over many, many years. Who gives a flying flip what people watching in Thailand are interested in?

Nice people I'm sure but I really don't care.  Being big in the Phillipines plays no part in any of my reasoning for supporting Wednesday. Not that there's much rational thought behind it. 

IMG_2919.JPG

Edited by rickygoo

It's not about brand recognition

It's about our identity

Brand recognition is what caused Tan to make Cardiff play in Red and what caused the Hull owner to demand their name be changed to Tigers

It's this simple for me - some fans (like me) want to retain our identity as the club we have proudly been through the years

Others would still think it was SWFC if we changed to red kits, moved to Manchester and called ourselves Sheffield Chansiri Exiles

Edited by scram

Wilson, Blenkinsop, Sewell, Dooley, Quixall, Curran, Hirst, Waddle - we made that shirt our own over many, many years. Who gives a flying flip what people watching in Thailand are interested in?

Nice people I'm sure but I really don't care.  Being big in the Phillipines plays no part in any of my reasoning for supporting Wednesday. Not that there's much rational thought behind it. 

IMG_2919.JPG

It's one of those things isn't it. We could stick to our principals and protest to play in blue and white, that may mean Chansiri gets bored and we get left behind

We have to adapt

Corinthians stuck to the principal that they were amateur. And now they don't exist.

DC might be stubborn but he's not stupid. Give it a few years & when his non stripe shirt design sales start to dwindle he'll make the following statement.

"I need to ensure that our great clubs traditions are continued when we move to our new stadium next season. By popular request the home team shirt will revert to blue & white stripes with black shorts."

We'll say "All hail DC" & buy the shirts in droves.

Edited by mogbad

DC might be stubborn but he's not stupid. Give it a few years & when his non stripe shirt design sales start to dwindle he'll make the following statement.

"I've decided that to ensure our great clubs traditions are continued when we move to our new stadium next season. By popular request the home team shirt will revert to blue & white stripes with black shorts."

We'll say "All hail DC" & but the shirts in droves.

I don't think Chansiri's stance is an elaborate attempt of selling extra home shirts in a few years time. He means it when he says he doesn't want us in stripes.

It's one of those things isn't it. We could stick to our principals and protest to play in blue and white, that may mean Chansiri gets bored and we get left behind

We have to adapt

Corinthians stuck to the principal that they were amateur. And now they don't exist.

It really isn't an either or. The club could survive without Chansiri. Someone is about to buy Reading. Someone has just invested in Leeds. 

Can you see Newcastle scrapping their stripes? We should be as proud of our traditions as Geordies are of theirs. The traditions matter to me more than any potential Indonesian support. 

So we change our kit because overseas TV viewers think of Porto when the see blue and white stripes?

Do they wear them with black shorts?

If this is the case someone better tell Leeds that Real Madrid already play in all white...no.wait..hang fire a minute.... 

It really isn't an either or. The club could survive without Chansiri. Someone is about to buy Reading. Someone has just invested in Leeds. 

Can you see Newcastle scrapping their stripes? We should be as proud of our traditions as Geordies are of theirs. The traditions matter to me more than any potential Indonesian support. 

The club could survive without Chansiri, but would we thrive the way we're going to under him?

I could see Newcastle scrapping their stripes if their owner didn't like stripes. Like us they are not a democracy

So we change our kit because overseas TV viewers think of Porto when the see blue and white stripes?

Do they wear them with black shorts?

If this is the case someone better tell Leeds that Real Madrid already play in all white...no.wait..hang fire a minute.... 

It's just my point regarding those who are arguing that stripes are important due to brand identity

As i've already mentioned them, look at the team that Leeds and Madrid get their white shirts from...

It's not about brand recognition

It's about our identity

Brand recognition is what caused Tan to make Cardiff play in Red and what caused the Hull owner to demand their name be changed to Tigers

It's this simple for me - some fans (like me) want to retain our identity as the club we have proudly been through the years

Others would still think it was SWFC if we changed to red kits, moved to Manchester and called ourselves Sheffield Chansiri Exiles

Another strawman argument, no one is calling for any such thing, the only change is going to all blue.  

I'm quite sure that DC will be quite aware of the unpopularity of removing the stripes and has seen the upset at Cardiff and Hull and will be aware that he would lose the trust he has made with the bulk of the support. I honestly believe that he won't make any more "ego" changes as he has stated in the past that he respects the traditions of Wednesday.

I'm not happy that he has gone away from stripes but at the end of the day it's his club and why would he tolerate something that really rubs him up the wrong way?  Totally irrational you could argue which makes him just as irrational as many other football fans maybe he's getting/got the football supporting thing already.

Edited by Holmes

Another strawman argument, no one is calling for any such thing, the only change is going to all blue.  

I'm quite sure that DC will be quite aware of the unpopularity of removing the stripes and has seen the upset at Cardiff and Hull and will be aware that he would lose the trust he has made with the bulk of the support. I honestly believe that he won't make any more "ego" changes as he has stated in the past that he respects the traditions of Wednesday.

I'm not happy that he has gone away from stripes but at the end of the day it's his club and why would he tolerate something that really rubs him up the wrong way?  Totally irrational you could argue which makes him just as irrational as many other football fans maybe he's getting/got the football supporting thing already.

exactly, he might look at blue and white stripes the same way as I look at the combination of red and green, I really hate that combo, i'm sure most can picture a colour scheme they hate.

I'm not happy that he has gone away from stripes but at the end of the day it's his club and why would he tolerate something that really rubs him up the wrong away?  Totally irrational you could argue which makes him just as irrational as many other football fans maybe he's getting/got the football supporting thing already.

By getting rid of our stripes he has proved he matters not one bit of our traditions.

You are coming up with some desperate stuff now to accept the terrible kits

I'm not desperate, please don't think I care if you like the kits or not. In fact I am happy to gloat that it doesn't bother me lol 

It is interesting to debate the moral side and the business side of whether changing kits is right and beneficial-Not trying to do anything else

Depend's how you define tradition, do white stripes come under that heading?  To some, it will to some it won't.

If we keep an all blue kit for the next two hundred years will our traditional kit be stripes or an all blue kit? 

Would you apply the same argument should Chansiri announce a red kit at a steering group in twelve months time?

If so minded then you can use that to justify any change whatsoever on a long enough timescale!