1 minute ago, Fibonacci91 said:

I do not think you can base a decision on last season. 

Who would you play Friday. Based on their form for Wednesday this season and in the formation that we generally play?

I cannot believe that anyone would say Abdi.

Of course nobody would say Abdi he is out for the season injured and has been for the vast majority of the season.

and in the formation we generally play 442  then assuming all players fully fit I would go for Hutch and Lee in the middle . Change the formation I would change the players I would pick as would everybody else. 

Im trying to have a reasoned conversation here , Yes I accept that Abdi has not performed to expectations but I would say that has been due to injuries and when first started playing in a position he didn't want to. 

Would I pick Bannan on Friday ? Yes he has the shirt and his current form suggests he should keep it however he's certainly not been as good this season as last year. 

Finally if you are asking me to say who is the better player if both are fully fit then it's a horses for courses choice as both play a slightly different role , in some instances you would pick Bannan and others Abdi that's why we have a squad. 

442 Bannan arguably , go to a midfield three and want one to be attacking its Abdi but that's my opinion 

3 minutes ago, elyowl1 said:

Of course nobody would say Abdi he is out for the season injured and has been for the vast majority of the season.

and in the formation we generally play 442  then assuming all players fully fit I would go for Hutch and Lee in the middle . Change the formation I would change the players I would pick as would everybody else. 

Im trying to have a reasoned conversation here , Yes I accept that Abdi has not performed to expectations but I would say that has been due to injuries and when first started playing in a position he didn't want to. 

Would I pick Bannan on Friday ? Yes he has the shirt and his current form suggests he should keep it however he's certainly not been as good this season as last year. 

Finally if you are asking me to say who is the better player if both are fully fit then it's a horses for courses choice as both play a slightly different role , in some instances you would pick Bannan and others Abdi that's why we have a squad. 

442 Bannan arguably , go to a midfield three and want one to be attacking its Abdi but that's my opinion 

Mate you seem like a reasonable guy, there are plenty of people saying that they would pick Abdi based on form for Wednesday this season.

4 minutes ago, Fibonacci91 said:

Mate you seem like a reasonable guy, there are plenty of people saying that they would pick Abdi based on form for Wednesday this season.

We have a large squad and assuming that all players were injury free we could all pick a different first eleven and give a good argument to how we picked that team and formation. 

Assume we went 4231 playing two holding midfielders I could reasonably argue we play Semedo and Hutchinson vs some teams with FF Abdi and Matias as the three behind Fletcher . 

You may have a different opinion as will all the others reading this comment it's not right or wrong it's just a formation which could suit some of the players we have at our disposal. 

48 minutes ago, Fibonacci91 said:

I do not think you can base a decision on last season. 

Who would you play Friday. Based on their form for Wednesday this season and in the formation that we generally play?

I cannot believe that anyone would say Abdi.

Be a hell of a risk playing Abdi due to his injury. Based on that I would agree with you and leave him out! 

3 hours ago, Fibonacci91 said:

I agree we haven't seen enough of him, and that actually he could be world class, but to say right now that he should be playing over Bannan, to say he has looked a class act and has ran games for us, simply isn't true. 

I've not said any of that have I ? But you question Abdi who in my opinion is a class player and im going on what I have seen when playing for us not because of what he did or didn't do at Watford or wherever or whatever his transfer fee was , I for one want to see him have a good run in the first team and see where we go from there . Don't you ?? 

4 hours ago, Fibonacci91 said:

Surely the obbsession with Abdi is simply a case of our fans wanting our big image big money signing to do well so they are telling themselves that he 'runs games' and 'looks a class act.' Surely fans are pretending that this is happening because thats what they want to be happening.

I havnt seen a single positive moment, barring an admittedly great goal, in his 6 or 7 appearances.

I'd like someone to point me towards 5 positive moments other than the goal.

Point out match and minute of said "positive moment" and I will watch back.

Odds on favourite this is Neil inventing another nutjob poster.

No one in real world posts the poo this guy has come up with in this thread.

6 hours ago, Fibonacci91 said:

I cannot comment on this performance. I was not at this match. Regardless, I have seen him 6 or 7 other times and he has been nothing short of poor on every single level. Taking into account a very positive performance against Forest, I do not think he has shown anywhere near enough to suggest he should be starting for Wednesday at the moment.

blade

Surely the obbsession with Abdi is simply a case of our fans wanting our big image big money signing to do well so they are telling themselves that he 'runs games' and 'looks a class act.' Surely fans are pretending that this is happening because thats what they want to be happening.

I havnt seen a single positive moment, barring an admittedly great goal, in his 6 or 7 appearances.

I think therein lies yer answer mate...We are giving him the "6 or 7" games then....Such as Sterland, Hirst, Smith, Bannister..took over a f.ookin' season to click....but just the 6 or 7 for Abdi then?

The Abdi we have seen is not the same as the one I saw at Watford, for whatever reason. He has had some brief spells but on the whole he has been dissapointing and a bit of an invisible man in the middle of the park. Not what I expected for a few million anyway.

Hopefully whatever the issue has been it clears up for next season as he looked excellent at Watford. 

Just now, Bluesteel said:

The Abdi we have seen is not the same as the one I saw at Watford, for whatever reason. He has had some brief spells but on the whole he has been dissapointing and a bit of an invisible man in the middle of the park. Not what I expected for a few million anyway.

Hopefully whatever the issue has been it clears up for next season as he looked excellent at Watford. 

I haven't seen enough of him, ..whatever the reason, ..its daft to make a decision on a few games....I mean, we're not doing it with Rhodes are we?

Players take time....and they need to play games....You can argue Abdi has had the time, but he's spent most of that offa the pitch

7 minutes ago, asteener1867 said:

I haven't seen enough of him, ..whatever the reason, ..its daft to make a decision on a few games....I mean, we're not doing it with Rhodes are we?

Players take time....and they need to play games....You can argue Abdi has had the time, but he's spent most of that offa the pitch

I've seen enough to be able to say he isn't what I had been expecting though after a decent debut. I suspect he hasn't been fully fit whilst also being shoe horned into a team shape that didn't work initially, we then abandoned that and went back to last seasons midfield with Hutchinson in there and it limited places even further. Whilst the fee we paid for him isn't his issue, when you pay that you've obviously got the idea from somewhere that he will come in and play regularly.

Perhaps he just isn't the kind of player that takes games by the scruff of the neck, which is what I think we need at times. I'm not saying he isn't a good player because he has shown that previously elsewhere, but you have to be able to fit into a team and I think he has been a bit of a victim in that regard but he hasn't always forced the manager to select him with some performances either.  He's obviously got great technique but has just seemed a bit passive in the games I've seen.

Re Rhodes I think the same applies. Quality player but needs to be able to fit into the side. I think having Hooper or Fletcher as a partner may help him and stop him from being the target man.

Edited by Bluesteel

Jesus someone actually said something reasonable...i salute you sir.

So my comments aren't reasonable ? What exactly is your beef with Abdi ? Where have you read that he has run a game and should be picked ahead of BB ? Are you trying to say you think Abdi is a good player but have been disappointed with him so far ? The disappointment I have over Abdi is he has hardly ever played it is plain to see he is a good player are you doubting this ? Don't really know , like a lot of others why you picked out Abdi he has been injured , coming back from injury and hardly ever match fit like a few players this season , give him a chance before you slate him surely ?? 

17 hours ago, Fibonacci91 said:

You want banning from all things that concern Sheffield Wednesday!!!