Just now, Lomas613 said:

You said you'll watch the positive back yet you haven't that's what I'm on about your criticising a player you've not seen all time. Asked for evidence but not watched any evidence 

I have said numerous times I accept he played well at Forrest. He could have had produced the greatest midfield performance of all time, my opinion would be the same. He is clearly a very good player, with good pedigree and with good quality. 

To say he has looked a class act generally for wednesday, to say he runs games on a general and consistent basis for Wednesday, to say he has looked a better player on a regular basis than Bannan, is simply false, it is not true, 

2 minutes ago, Fibonacci91 said:

I have said numerous times I accept he played well at Forrest. He could have had produced the greatest midfield performance of all time, my opinion would be the same. He is clearly a very good player, with good pedigree and with good quality. 

To say he has looked a class act generally for wednesday, to say he runs games on a general and consistent basis for Wednesday, to say he has looked a better player on a regular basis than Bannan, is simply false, it is not true, 

Bannan himself hasn't looked a class act this season either for the most part so don't really get the point of this thread or the Abdi one

31 minutes ago, Fibonacci91 said:

Im not saying Abdi is cr@p. 

My point is. People are saying he is a class act, runs games, should be playing over Bannan if fit.

Point me to 3 people who have said this.

Or maybe 5 people.

Or should it be 10 people?    lol

To be fair I'm not quite sure what the OP is truly arguing.

Has Abdi been a underwhelming transfer ?

Yes but that's been because of injuries and not his fault.

Has Abdis performance been below expectations?

yes but that's been because of injuries and again not really his fault in fact when he was injury free and fit he was just starting to show what he could do i.e. Forest away.

and I cannot recall anybody making comments on here that we should play an injured unfit player over Bannan 

The only arguments I've seen is which player would offer us more assuming both at identical fitness levels , some suggest Bannan others Abdi 

remember not long ago our midfield was Potter and O'Connor 

Edited by elyowl1

Think the issue (aside from injuries) is that we bought this clearly very able player without having a set role for him in the team. From day one we were on here debating whose position he would take of Bannan or Lee, when in reality we probably needed to change shape to build a team around him. 

The idea of buying players as they are good quality rather than having a specific role / need for them is something that I feel we are (perhaps understandably) guilty of. 

6 minutes ago, elyowl1 said:

To be fair I'm not quite sure what the OP is truly arguing.

Has Abdi been a underwhelming transfer ?

Yes but that's been because of injuries and not his fault.

Has Abdis performance been below expectations?

yes but that's been because of injuries and again not really his fault in fact when he was injury free and fit he was just starting to show what he could do i.e. Forest away.

and I cannot recall anybody making comments on here that we should play an injured unfit player over Bannan 

The only arguments I've seen is which player would offer us more assuming both at identical fitness levels , some suggest Bannan others Abdi 

remember not long ago our midfield was Potter and O'Connor 

From what i have seen the concept that Abdi can offer as much as Bannan when both fully fit does not compute in my brain and I cannot fathom where people would have got that impression from. 

Again I am more than willing to be proven wrong, I want Abdi to be the best player on the planet and dominate for us in centre mid. But I cannot understand here people have got the impression that he offers as much as Bannan from.

I would love to be wrong, I really dont care, but he simply hasnt shown himself to be more effective than Bannan on any level.

6 minutes ago, Ever the pessimist said:

Think the issue (aside from injuries) is that we bought this clearly very able player without having a set role for him in the team. From day one we were on here debating whose position he would take of Bannan or Lee, when in reality we probably needed to change shape to build a team around him. 

The idea of buying players as they are good quality rather than having a specific role / need for them is something that I feel we are (perhaps understandably) guilty of. 

This ^^ 

To some extant this is why many have felt we had a poor transfer window last summer .

We signed good players but without a defined role we have looked like we are using square pegs in round holes on more than one occasion. 

6 minutes ago, Fibonacci91 said:

From what i have seen the concept that Abdi can offer as much as Bannan when both fully fit does not compute in my brain and I cannot fathom where people would have got that impression from. 

Again I am more than willing to be proven wrong, I want Abdi to be the best player on the planet and dominate for us in centre mid. But I cannot understand here people have got the impression that he offers as much as Bannan from.

I would love to be wrong, I really dont care, but he simply hasnt shown himself to be more effective than Bannan on any level.

Thanks that's a reasoned argument and if you had put it that way to start with you would have saved yourselves many negs and some of the ridicule you have been subjected too. 

People's argument on Abdi over Bannan is based on his performance in a Watford shirt in this division and in the premier league. 

Given that he's been injured for the vast majority of his time here it's purely a reasoned speculation that he would  be better than  Bannan given his past history however I'm happy we have both and we can argue over who is better when and if both are fully fit. 

Guest wilyfox
37 minutes ago, theowlsman said:

Re the list of moans.

Are we at the bottom of the list yet? Will be glad once it has been exhausted.

Can then concentrate on the summer transfer rumours thread.

Ta

It's coming... real soon! 

2 hours ago, Fibonacci91 said:

Surely the obbsession with Abdi is simply a case of our fans wanting our big image big money signing to do well so they are telling themselves that he 'runs games' and 'looks a class act.' Surely fans are pretending that this is happening because thats what they want to be happening.

I havnt seen a single positive moment, barring an admittedly great goal, in his 6 or 7 appearances.

I'd like someone to point me towards 5 positive moments other than the goal.

Point out match and minute of said "positive moment" and I will watch back.

Get back to Bladesmad piggy.

Edited by Owling Wolfe

16 minutes ago, elyowl1 said:

Thanks that's a reasoned argument and if you had put it that way to start with you would have saved yourselves many negs and some of the ridicule you have been subjected too. 

People's argument on Abdi over Bannan is based on his performance in a Watford shirt in this division and in the premier league. 

Given that he's been injured for the vast majority of his time here it's purely a reasoned speculation that he would  be better than  Bannan given his past history however I'm happy we have both and we can argue over who is better when and if both are fully fit. 

I do not think you can base a decision on last season. 

Who would you play Friday. Based on their form for Wednesday this season and in the formation that we generally play?

I cannot believe that anyone would say Abdi.

4 minutes ago, matthefish2002 said:

Think you have to accept that not all big money signings come off.

For whatever reason Abdi been a bit of a flop so far. Hopefully will have a pre season under his belt and see what he can do next season when he will have a bit of a point to prove.

Can you imagine the meltdown on here if we had for example signed Torres for £50 million , Carroll for £35 million hell half of Chelsea's or Liverpool's big money transfers over the last ten years. 

I don't think I've ever seen a less relevant post on Owlstalk. Why wait until the guy is out for the season to criticise him when nobody is crying out for him to be included in the team at the expense of Bannan or anybody else.

It seems that you have an agenda against him and can't even wait until next season to have a go.

I have only read the first two pages of the thread after seeing comments like these (paraphrased) "name 3 positive moments" "apart from one brilliant goal what has he done" "didnt see that game" then changing to "name 10 positive moments".

Can't even be bothered to go back to neg you.

Just amazed someone would start a thread criticising one of our players recovering from an operation. I know it is a forum for opinions but I just don't see the point of this thread at this particular time.