The Cult of Megson

megson did well for Wednesday , he changed the whole mentality of the club in the very short time he had here ....we've sacked a lot of managers over the last 50 years but him and gray can feel very hard done by as they were sacked on the whim of the owner rather than results .

19 minutes ago, scram said:

Aha - the old "Lidl players"

The same ones that got us promoted...

Not a phrase I would use but yes those players that he brought in for little outlay (bywater, Baath, Llera, Rob Jones, Semedo, Lines, Ben Marshall, Antonio, O'Grady) were indeed the players that got us promoted.

Edited by York_Owl

41 minutes ago, Donny.Owl said:

Yeah... about having a short memory, you might want to think back to 'The Old Guard' running the club into the ground, transfer embargoes, winding up order... Ringing any bells?

The difference from being on our arses to competing for promotion was Milan Mandaric 1st and foremost.

In fact in Megson's 1st half season, we went from 12th (8 points off the play offs with 20 games to play) to 15th (13 points off) and that was with more loan signings, plus we played the worst football I've ever had the misfortune to witness live.

The summer before the promotion season the team, cobbled together on a shoe string and carrying a load of overpaid deadwood, was transformed thanks to Milan's money and the dark cloud was lifted from over Hillsborough and the whole place, from fans to players, was awash with positivity.

Megson wasn't doing a bad job that year, was obviously part of the rebuild, but he wasn't pulling up any trees either. The decision to let him go turned out to be the right one, we were magnificent after that. Played the type of football Megson claimed, in an interview, they we weren't capable of and the rest is history.

It's easy to think back and just see it Megson arriving and single handedly dragging the club back from the brink, a whole cult has formed on that belief! Not really accurate though, not even close.

Pointless debating with someone like you, looking back at things without any context whatsoever and making stuff up. Where did I say Megson is the only one who deserves credit?

The reason we finished further away from the playoffs in his first season is because we were on a absolutely dire run of form and a long long overdue sacking of the previous manager, confidence was rock bottom, it was big slide.

I will try and explain my point (again) more clearly for you. Regardless of budget and looking at purely on-field performances, getting a team playing like we did under Irvine to a team challenging at the top the very next season was a superb achievement. The clubs I listed all would have had top end budgets for the league they are/were in and still haven't recovered.

If Jones didn't get us promoted, and it is not such a stretch we would have been crying for Megson right now.

I'm one of so called football purists, but I can understand what a good job Megson did here.

Guest Kagoshimaowl

Jones did the job that Megson was starting to fail to do.  Says it all...stay far away!!!

ps: Gary you will always be welcome as a fan!

Guest RocketOwl
13 hours ago, Ellis Rimmer said:

He's done more than CC has in his career.

No sentiment no, I don't give a shiney poo about CC, I think he met par last year and has seriously underperformed last year. He's had 13 clubs in 13 years. Tells you everything. 

He freezes players out (McGugan), some before they've even had a chance to show what they can do (Emanuelson, Lachman etc etc)

He's a false prophet

I think half the problem is that many of you have a man crush on him still and you all need to wake up and smell the coffee, he's no good.

He has nice coats.

Bang average manager and complete git as a person.

Weirdly given the 'cult' status as he was a decent midfielder for us back in the day. Chris Turner was a decent keeper for us but I can't remember fans bowing down to his managerial genius.

" He turned us around, gave us pride"  - Look, anyone following Allan Irvine would have seen an upturn in fortunes. Virtually impossible not to. Megson took long enough to ' give us pride'  ( if that's what you think happened) in any case.  

"He only got the sack for telling Mandaric some home truths'   -  So he bloomin should have. I think Mandaric has done a little bit more for our club than Megson to be honest. Anyway, this ' swearing at Mandaric' thing is basically a rumour that has grown legs and run, little bits are added to it every time I read something about it on Owlstalk . The probable real reason he got the sack is that our expected push to the play offs was in serious jeopardy as we were losing games with no sign of improvement. Yes we beat the pigs, but I would assume everyone knows that derbies are one off games. Whichever way you look at it, Mandarics decision was an excellent one, as we went up with a remarkable change of attitude and performance.

In short, and I know most are having a laugh with this return of the king stuff, I have never known a manager at this club as overrated as Megson, and I find the outpouring of love and revision of history of his tenure bizarre.

7 hours ago, Blue and white said:

When you've spent over 20m and your season is heading downhill, the answer is clear and nothing to fear, dont let the season linger replace Carlos with Ginger.

Is the season really going downhill ?? I accept that football is a results orientated business, but after all the strife we have gone through thus far, there are many many teams who would love to be in our position. I am sure the fans of Huddersfield, Brighton, Newcastle and Fulham, fully expected to win over the weekend, but it didn't happen, are their seasons on a cliff edge because of a reverse ??!

I appreciate the arguments put forward by many in terms of our style of play, tempo, financial backing etc, but there are NO easy games in this league, you have to grind the results out.

Are we a lost cause  ? The simple answer is no we are not. 24 points to play for, and the international break will hopefully allow us to get some key players back. 

Frustration i understand, but to say our season is finished as it stands at the moment is ludicrous. Many teams have spent a lot more than us and will not make the playoffs, we are, at least in their with a definite chance.

15 hours ago, scram said:

Since when was the 2nd highest budget a sh*t budget?

Some f*cling dreamers on here

I am not sure he had the second highest budget because Charlton were extremely well backed that season, but it was certainly top 3.

However, it always annoyed me that Megson seemed to have to beg for funds.  Indeed our only bad spell was after Marshall had left but before Antonio joined - if that gap had been filled quicker we would've probably won the division and made the whole Ched Evans debate irrelevant.

Then as soon as Jones comes in he is allowed to add Treacy and Ranger to the mix.

Megson could really spot a player and proved that at WBA and Wednesday.  If he had been backed as Jones was (especially the season after in the Championship) then the club would've been in a much better place.  I think most fans under-appreciate how much Mandaric backed Jones in that first season back and he totally wasted it with his appalling judgment.

2 hours ago, Bannofan said:

Bang average manager and complete git as a person.

Weirdly given the 'cult' status as he was a decent midfielder for us back in the day. Chris Turner was a decent keeper for us but I can't remember fans bowing down to his managerial genius.

" He turned us around, gave us pride"  - Look, anyone following Allan Irvine would have seen an upturn in fortunes. Virtually impossible not to. Megson took long enough to ' give us pride'  ( if that's what you think happened) in any case.  

"He only got the sack for telling Mandaric some home truths'   -  So he bloomin should have. I think Mandaric has done a little bit more for our club than Megson to be honest. Anyway, this ' swearing at Mandaric' thing is basically a rumour that has grown legs and run, little bits are added to it every time I read something about it on Owlstalk . The probable real reason he got the sack is that our expected push to the play offs was in serious jeopardy as we were losing games with no sign of improvement. Yes we beat the pigs, but I would assume everyone knows that derbies are one off games. Whichever way you look at it, Mandarics decision was an excellent one, as we went up with a remarkable change of attitude and performance.

In short, and I know most are having a laugh with this return of the king stuff, I have never known a manager at this club as overrated as Megson, and I find the outpouring of love and revision of history of his tenure bizarre.

A bang average manager doesn't turn around the shambles under Irvine to third place in the league with the third highest win ratio of any manger in our history.