10 seconds that epitomised our season

I've noticed when other teams attack us they get from their box to ours with effective passing & movement at pace.....no hoof ball...just a team knowing what their team mates are expected to do to achieve it......................on the other hand we have SLOW sideways movement.....non-effective passes.....players unsure which way to run............passing to Rhodes & Winnall feet  when they have a player or two up their ar$e$ leads to them being tackled/fouled/injured.......getting the ball forward to the flanks & then coming backwards ?? WTF 

2 hours ago, StudentOwl said:

And it was probably something people have become numb to so didn't really register it

It was about 25 minutes into the game last night, we were 1-0 down and it was within a minute of Jordan Rhodes getting polaxed infront of the south stand.  We win a throw in probably about 15 yards away from the corner flag. Jack Hunt does a quick jog up to get the ball... he's not messing around he's going to throw it in quick. The crowd are baying for blood, spurring the team onward... we're angry, we're losing and Rhodes has been fouled for the third time in five minutes. He stands at the touchline for 10 seconds, not throwing the ball in... then turns, and throws it 20 yards backwards to Tom Lees.

...What?

We're losing, the crowd is screaming and urging you on... attack. I love this whole passing and possession game more than most, but the whole point is that with that type of game you work the ball into a dangerous area... we're in the dangerous area guys, it's time to strike! But alas, I feel it sums up our season and entire mentality under Carlos for some time now... for the last 13/14 months or so, we've really not been very good at scoring goals. 

Yesterday was the first time I thought it was time for Carlos to go. We didn't look like a team yesterday. From about 30 minutes onwards, the tactic to me looked like we were hoping Buckley or someone would have a moment of brilliance. There was no direction, or team plan... just the hope that an individual would do something outstanding to carve open a chance. Compare it to Reading, who had a direction and purpose to their game, who attacked far more like a coherent unit rather than 7/8 individuals moving forward and hoping to make something. 

Let's be pragmatic, honest and fair. If Carlos doesn't get us up this season, he should probably be gone... especially when you compare resources spent to the other teams that are in or pushing for the play-offs. Does CC deserve at least until the end of the season? Normally I would say so, he deserves it for last season, but what's the benefit of keeping him longer? If there's a manager available, bringing him in now gives him the opportunity to properly assess the squad to plan for summer recruitment. Waiting will only hinder any future manager we might bring in. And if people want to say I'm being defeatest... that we're still in the play-offs and our season isn't over, you're very right. But at the end of the day, we've currently only won 3 of our 10 games against other teams in the top 7... it doesn't bode well for a play-off run in. Of course we could still do it, but in all likelihood we're going to miss out. I love the bloke, but I think perhaps it's time to realise he won't be the one that can get us promoted in the next 2/3 years, and realistically speaking we probably can't afford to wait much longer than that

A new manager now, as well as having more time to plan for next season as you say, would also have the chance of 'new manager' effect shaking things up and giving us more of a chance than we currently have of getting somewhere this year.

hate to say it but is kind of makes sense to do it now :-(

Guest The Horse

Stats cover up what everyone can see with their own eyes.
The chances we had were half chances. We never got a clean strike or actually carved their defence open.
All just huff and puff and then a bit of a scuff shot here and there.

We don't dominate and put our mark on games.

No real sustained pressure nor do we have teams looking worried when we attack.

Basically - nothing to get the fans excited. But we have the players to do it. And that's where the frustration and lack of patience comes from.

Just now, Animis said:

I think the focus should be on the manager and players to show us what they're capable of and what the plan is rather than criticising the fans.

I groaned last night when Loovens hoof yet another aimless ball straight into touch when an easier ball was on. Our ball distribution and control at times is woeful, and i question whether the player is actually that good.

The crowd groaning isn't the problem.

No i appreciate that, but it is a large contributing factor regarding confidence among players. 

Bannan tried a run, made a hash of it, got absolutely ripped apart from the crowd and played cautiously within himself from then on. 

Not blaming the crowd, last night in the main they were supportive (apart from the booing).

1 hour ago, modboy said:

weird how people see games differently isnt it.

They played like us last season and deserved the away win

This /\/\/\/\

I said exactly the same yesterday. Reading reminded me so much of us last season. It wasnt just about keeping the ball, its what they did with it, giving players the runaround and wearing them down. Last season we looked so so comfortable on the ball. We could see games out by playing it around and tiring teams. We could play it around the back and then find the killer ball over the top to players like FF, just like they were doing last night..... or we play those intricate forward passes through midfield and into the strikers feet in and around the box.

I know people will say we created chancel last night, like we did against Burton and Brentford and L**ds away second half. But surely we must be creating the wrong type of chances. Teams are lapping it up. We play it out wide to cross it in and hope someone can get an head or a foot on it. The crosses must be weak because we are getting no power on the headers, and the balls that flash across the front of the keeper are pointless if there is no one there.

For all the money we have spent, we have gone backwards.

1 hour ago, Wakefield owl said:

"Reading attacked like a far more coherent unit"??

Can someone please remind when they threatened apart from the goal (forget the second) or when Westwood had to make a difficult save?

Just be thankful it was Reading. Had it been Brighton we would have been slaughtered.

And it was probably something people have become numb to so didn't really register it

It was about 25 minutes into the game last night, we were 1-0 down and it was within a minute of Jordan Rhodes getting polaxed infront of the south stand.  We win a throw in probably about 15 yards away from the corner flag. Jack Hunt does a quick jog up to get the ball... he's not messing around he's going to throw it in quick. The crowd are baying for blood, spurring the team onward... we're angry, we're losing and Rhodes has been fouled for the third time in five minutes. He stands at the touchline for 10 seconds, not throwing the ball in... then turns, and throws it 20 yards backwards to Tom Lees.

...What?

We're losing, the crowd is screaming and urging you on... attack. I love this whole passing and possession game more than most, but the whole point is that with that type of game you work the ball into a dangerous area... we're in the dangerous area guys, it's time to strike! But alas, I feel it sums up our season and entire mentality under Carlos for some time now... for the last 13/14 months or so, we've really not been very good at scoring goals. 

Yesterday was the first time I thought it was time for Carlos to go. We didn't look like a team yesterday. From about 30 minutes onwards, the tactic to me looked like we were hoping Buckley or someone would have a moment of brilliance. There was no direction, or team plan... just the hope that an individual would do something outstanding to carve open a chance. Compare it to Reading, who had a direction and purpose to their game, who attacked far more like a coherent unit rather than 7/8 individuals moving forward and hoping to make something. 

Let's be pragmatic, honest and fair. If Carlos doesn't get us up this season, he should probably be gone... especially when you compare resources spent to the other teams that are in or pushing for the play-offs. Does CC deserve at least until the end of the season? Normally I would say so, he deserves it for last season, but what's the benefit of keeping him longer? If there's a manager available, bringing him in now gives him the opportunity to properly assess the squad to plan for summer recruitment. Waiting will only hinder any future manager we might bring in. And if people want to say I'm being defeatest... that we're still in the play-offs and our season isn't over, you're very right. But at the end of the day, we've currently only won 3 of our 10 games against other teams in the top 7... it doesn't bode well for a play-off run in. Of course we could still do it, but in all likelihood we're going to miss out. I love the bloke, but I think perhaps it's time to realise he won't be the one that can get us promoted in the next 2/3 years, and realistically speaking we probably can't afford to wait much longer than that

Absolutely bang on, sums up perfectly how I feel at the moment.

We are average at best attacking and defending  free kicks, corners and throw ins. God knows what we do in training. How many times are we going to concede goals because the back four do not hold an offside line? Also a very quiet side with no appealing to the officials or any leadership to organise or keep the team going. Hutchinson does this but no one else. Last night though was the first time the coaching team looked like they didn't know what to do to change things. When that happens, it is a slippery slope

...What?

Sometimes the only option to keep the ball is to start again. 

I was baffled at some our fans booing and having a go at Bannan in the first half on the left flank (where the North meets the Kop) for not playing the ball forward, when it was clear there was nothing on. Consequently, BB turned out of the cul-de-sac and kept the ball for us. I am not sure what some of our fans expect and more more to point, whether they have ever played the game. 

Edited by AwokenGiant

2 hours ago, Wakefield owl said:

And created what? We actually had half a dozen good chances last night but unfortunately didn't finish them. We've played worse and won.

these were all in the last five minutes, we didn't start playing until the 85th minute, is that plan B

instead of starting to play at the start of the second half we leave it until the last 5 minutes,

last night we had two wingers who never went on the wing, two full backs who were expected to run up and the down the line because they had no one in front of them, two central midfielders who were playing just in front of the centre halves and two forwards who had to come back into our half to get the ball.

this was until the last five minutes when either the players or CC made a decision to change it and everyone played where they should, but obviously that was to late.

it is time for CC to go, give anyone a chance to let the players do what they can do, and alter the set of the team completely, we may still have a slight chance of the playoffs then

26 minutes ago, AwokenGiant said:

Sometimes the only option to keep the ball is to start again. 

I was baffled at some our fans booing and having a go at Bannan in the first half on the left flank (where the North meets the Kop) for not playing the ball forward, when it was clear there was nothing on. Consequently, BB turned out of the cul-de-sac and kept the ball for us. I am not sure what some of our fans expect and more more to point, whether they have ever played the game. 

Please don't get me wrong, I don't necessarily disagree with that. I noticed it at the Norwich game too, a lot of the crowd groaning when we passed the ball backwards, even at 0-0 just 10 minutes into the game. I appreciate that passing the ball backwards is more often than not more beneficial than a ball forward towards a general area hoping things will come good.

But in that scenario, considering everything that was going on, it beggars belief that the backwards option was chosen, and is indicative of the mentality that seems to exist at the minute. 

3 minutes ago, the third man said:

these were all in the last five minutes, we didn't start playing until the 85th minute, is that plan B

instead of starting to play at the start of the second half we leave it until the last 5 minutes,

last night we had two wingers who never went on the wing, two full backs who were expected to run up and the down the line because they had no one in front of them, two central midfielders who were playing just in front of the centre halves and two forwards who had to come back into our half to get the ball.

this was until the last five minutes when either the players or CC made a decision to change it and everyone played where they should, but obviously that was to late.

it is time for CC to go, give anyone a chance to let the players do what they can do, and alter the set of the team completely, we may still have a slight chance of the playoffs then

that's exactly what happened; as has happened in many games this season, but with different personnel. 

The crowd frustration is born out of this. They turn up hoping it changes - it did against Norwich, but soon resorts to this comfortable baseline.

It's really not what we should be doing, but if we only have the players to play this way it's then solely down to CC.

3 hours ago, StudentOwl said:

...What?

Absolutely bang on!

I also forgot about that throw in until you mentioned it, sums us up doesn't it. 

I've supported Carlos a long time but he has to go now in my opinion, i and many others may have been kidding ourselves for a long time that eventually "it will click" with the quality we have, that's obviously not going to happen under Carlos, this slow tempo sideways backwards style is never going to take us up.

Your OP pretty much sums up exactly how I feel mate. 

2 hours ago, Essix Blue said:

The results we rescued (Kieron Lee mainly) earlier in the season were the warning signs. We just haven't performed well at home (even when we've won) anything like we did last season. 

Strange that the performances that DO stand out this season have been away..... Norwich early on, Brum, Newcastle, Leeds even Brighton. Games we've really looked something like and played very well although not always getting the result. 

Now the way we play at home is classic playing away tactics - slow, keep possession, look for counter attack. But it doesn't work at home - the onus is on US to take the game to the opposition, but that's not happening. 

I really cant see us making top 6 - the form we're in combined with the good form teams around us have. But I wouldn't sack Carlos, not now, he deserves his chance to see the season out. Then plan for next season. 

Birmingham & Leeds were OK performances but no where near last night's effort.

Whilst I agree with the OP to a large extent, my worry is that we turn into a Derby: changing managers regularly and gradually getting further from away from promotion. Changing managers often has a short term impact, but as we see with Derby, Forest etc., it often doesnt lead to long term improvement.

We will see a huge contrast when we play Cardiff.

At some stage, they will win a free-kick 50 yards out, and we will collectively cack ourselves knowing we are about to be put under severe pressure. 

In contrast, we will win a similar free-kick, and take a five yard pass back, followed by Lees, Loovens and possibly Westy getting a pass.  

I dont understand it. We looked really dangerous from corners last night, and in Lees, Loovens, Fox, Rhodes and Jones we have enough aerial ability to cause problems to any team.

8 minutes ago, someone in my head said:

Whilst I agree with the OP to a large extent, my worry is that we turn into a Derby: changing managers regularly and gradually getting further from away from promotion. Changing managers often has a short term impact, but as we see with Derby, Forest etc., it often doesnt lead to long term improvement.

I know what your saying, but no one is advocating changing managers as often as Derby have, they have had 5 managers in the last 22 months! 

Edited by RichieB