10 seconds that epitomised our season

1 hour ago, someone in my head said:

Whilst I agree with the OP to a large extent, my worry is that we turn into a Derby: changing managers regularly and gradually getting further from away from promotion. Changing managers often has a short term impact, but as we see with Derby, Forest etc., it often doesnt lead to long term improvement.

To be honest 7th will be as far away from promotion as Derby will be

34 minutes ago, the third man said:

To be honest 7th will be as far away from promotion as Derby will be

Already given up on this season then?

I hope I'm wrong but if things go as a lot of you wish then you will be on here in 12 months time questioning why we are 8th in the Championship and our manager should be replaced.

3 minutes ago, Wakefield owl said:

Already given up on this season then?

I hope I'm wrong but if things go as a lot of you wish then you will be on here in 12 months time questioning why we are 8th in the Championship and our manager should be replaced.

Not quite, just pointing out the obvious, that as far as promotion goes 7th is the same as 20th

Why couldn't the 10 seconds late on when we had one saved and one cleared off the line not epitomise our season

The throw in you refer to i remember too and there was no one forward to throw it to they were all absolutely tied up the throw back was the only option excepting the old stand by just chuck it up the line 

I pointed out on 4 occasions in the first half last night to a bloke who sits behind me and shouts "gerrit forrard" for most of the match that as we attacked they had a string of 6 defenders across the 18 yard line and 2 holding midfielders in front of them with the two forwards pressing the ball and lumping it forward was just gifting possession to Reading but still at least the ball would have been forrard eh

6 hours ago, StudentOwl said:

And it was probably something people have become numb to so didn't really register it

It was about 25 minutes into the game last night, we were 1-0 down and it was within a minute of Jordan Rhodes getting polaxed infront of the south stand.  We win a throw in probably about 15 yards away from the corner flag. Jack Hunt does a quick jog up to get the ball... he's not messing around he's going to throw it in quick. The crowd are baying for blood, spurring the team onward... we're angry, we're losing and Rhodes has been fouled for the third time in five minutes. He stands at the touchline for 10 seconds, not throwing the ball in... then turns, and throws it 20 yards backwards to Tom Lees.

...What?

We're losing, the crowd is screaming and urging you on... attack. I love this whole passing and possession game more than most, but the whole point is that with that type of game you work the ball into a dangerous area... we're in the dangerous area guys, it's time to strike! But alas, I feel it sums up our season and entire mentality under Carlos for some time now... for the last 13/14 months or so, we've really not been very good at scoring goals. 

Yesterday was the first time I thought it was time for Carlos to go. We didn't look like a team yesterday. From about 30 minutes onwards, the tactic to me looked like we were hoping Buckley or someone would have a moment of brilliance. There was no direction, or team plan... just the hope that an individual would do something outstanding to carve open a chance. Compare it to Reading, who had a direction and purpose to their game, who attacked far more like a coherent unit rather than 7/8 individuals moving forward and hoping to make something. 

Let's be pragmatic, honest and fair. If Carlos doesn't get us up this season, he should probably be gone... especially when you compare resources spent to the other teams that are in or pushing for the play-offs. Does CC deserve at least until the end of the season? Normally I would say so, he deserves it for last season, but what's the benefit of keeping him longer? If there's a manager available, bringing him in now gives him the opportunity to properly assess the squad to plan for summer recruitment. Waiting will only hinder any future manager we might bring in. And if people want to say I'm being defeatest... that we're still in the play-offs and our season isn't over, you're very right. But at the end of the day, we've currently only won 3 of our 10 games against other teams in the top 7... it doesn't bode well for a play-off run in. Of course we could still do it, but in all likelihood we're going to miss out. I love the bloke, but I think perhaps it's time to realise he won't be the one that can get us promoted in the next 2/3 years, and realistically speaking we probably can't afford to wait much longer than that

Plenty of that makes sense and if nothing else it proves that students have way too much time on their hands!

43 minutes ago, Lawrie Madden said:

Why couldn't the 10 seconds late on when we had one saved and one cleared off the line not epitomise our season

Because that would imply we've played with intent a purpose all season, which in my opinion we haven't

I don't bemoan the backwards passing, in fact I'm more tolerant of it than 99% of others. Me and my friend couldn't understand it when the crowd last night were getting antsy when we passed it back. The "GERRITFORWARD" brigade get on my títs no end. 

The reason why, in my humble opinion, those 10 seconds epitomise our season is because they weren't even bad. It wasn't a bad thing to do... and don't get me wrong, we haven't really been bad this season. We're sixth, it's impossible to be sixth and bad. But it was uninspiring. And completely against what you'd expect. We'd thrust forward with momentum, the crowd was making noise... yet in the end the option to go forward just didn't exist and so we quietly turn 45 degrees about face and keep the ball. 

It so perfectly sums up our season... all signs pointed that that ball should have gone forward and we should have been able to get it forward... and it just didn't go. All signs should point towards an energetic attack... but it doesn't come. All signs pointed towards some purposeful movement forward was inevitable... but it didn't come.